Worst Premier League ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An incredible achievement, undoubtedly, but also one of the biggest one-offs in the history of sport.

Yeah but it's weird the way people are already mostly acting like that didn't happen.

Like I've seen so many people make comments about the uncompetitiveness of english football and how the moneyed elite can't be beaten despite the fact that only 18 months ago, the team with the 15th largest wagebill won the bloody league.

It's like because it didn't fit the narrative that the top teams are miles ahead, people are just ignoring it. Like 6 months after that people were saying West brom were top of their league cos they were 8th and we were 7th as if 8th is as high as any team could ever get. It's very easy to talk about iron cast trends if you just flat out ignore anything that doesn't fit the pattern.

I mean yes, we all know the reason it happened was because that leicester team was pumped full of steroids, but still.

Yeah but it's weird the way people are already mostly acting like that didn't happen.

Like I've seen so many people make comments about the uncompetitiveness of english football and how the moneyed elite can't be beaten despite the fact that only 18 months ago, the team with the 15th largest wagebill won the bloody league.

It's like because it didn't fit the narrative that the top teams are miles ahead, people are just ignoring it. Like 6 months after that people were saying West brom were top of their league cos they were 8th and we were 7th as if 8th is as high as any team could ever get. It's very easy to talk about iron cast trends if you just flat out ignore anything that doesn't fit the pattern.

I mean yes, we all know the reason it happened was because that leicester team was pumped full of steroids, but still.

I am still convinced it was cos they dug that King up, and buried him in the cathedral.

Season after Leicester won it was the start of the new tv deal which has changed everything.

Cost of relegation much greater than ever before

It’s terrible, us included.

Outside of the current top 6, it’s just a group of men pointlessly slogging it out week after week when they all must know they’ll never win nowt.

I'm starting to think this is the worst standard of PL ever. We are universally and correctly considered to be awful and yet we are still
9th.
City have wiped the floor with almost everyone but other top 6 sides have been inconsistent. Truly great games have been in extremely short supply.
Can fans of any sides other than City, Burnley, perhaps Leicester and a midtable Huddersfield say they're actually enjoying themselves and their side is living up to expectations?

Burnley have gone seven league games without a win.

Yes, that is even more than us. We are steadily catching them up.

Serie A and La Liga are both comfortably better than the utter dross that is the PL, the whole "best league in the world" thing has always been a total myth.

Regardless how much money those outside the 'big 6' get, the 'big 6' will always have more and be able to cherry pick whatever player they want.

Couple years ago the bottom 14 at least had some uniqueness about them. We had a lethal finisher and high potential defender, Stokalona were the team of 'nearly great players' getting second wind, Leicester had their quick counters, West Ham had Payet at his best, Southampton had a great attacking team with Pelle, Tadic and Mane. Shaw, Chambers, Alderweireld, Lallana and Schneiderlin too. More recently, Van Dijk. Even Pochettino. So many of them cherry picked away and reinforcing their positions at the top.

All the money has done has turned the bottom 14 into scouting pools for the rich boys. Why take a risk on a target when you can let one of the 14 'lesser clubs' buy them and trial them in the premier league for you?

Tottenham made the jump up by firstly having Bale money, then hitting the jackpot with two great academy players. Perhaps we could have, too, if we held onto Stones and Rom. 'Ifs' and 'buts'. Meanwhile we're just lingering with the rest.

The irony is, the mega money it now gets from TV cos of its entertainment has made clubs below the elite terrified of being relegated. Ergo, gets duller.

So you would've thought teams would've spent more on better players. Can't fathom how we're still top half when we're relentlessly dire.

Status
Not open for further replies.