Worst Premier League ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Southampton win tomorrow, we'll be 5 points above the drop zone, being 9th gives us a false sense of security. Just as well that the standard is garbage.

This correct. But the fact that somehow there are 11 teams between us give me a tiny bit of comfort.

We're the worst side in the league.

The only reason we're 9th is because we have a smattering of quality in the squad that can be match winners on their day. So even the likes of Sigurdsson, who has been hideous his entire time here, has scored three in the league for us. Niasse is a finisher but a terrible footballer, so he still grabs goals. Rooney had a purple patch, and so on. The teams in 15th-20th don't have this; they are universally substandard and don't have matchwinners.

Take West Brom today. They were comfortably the better side, but we still took the point.

But in terms of effort, ambition and cohesion, we are the very worst team in this league and it's a blessing that the standard of the league is as low as it is, as we totally, totally deserve relegation.

We've been massively fortunate all season when you look at it.
Eg Dour against Stoke, won 1-0.
Wretched against Bournemouth, saved by Niasse, won 2-1.
Scraped a draw against Brighton with a late pen.
Massive late pen against Watford and Cleverley missing, won 3-2.
Two penalties (one scored on the rebound) helped us to win against Swansea (bottom).
Goalkeeping error handed us the win at Newcastle when they hit the woodwork twice.

How many actually decent performances have their been? We were even average or worse in the 4-0 over West Ham.

Given all that, how [Poor language removed] or unlucky have all these other sides been to actually have fewer points.

[Poor language removed] teams, [Poor language removed] league. End of story.

I’ve said this before, but seems appropriate in here as it’s a comment on how superior the top 6 are to the rest of the league.

In the first 3 years of Opta stats (early 90’s). There was only one game in which a team had more than 70% possession.

This season alone, there have been more than 40.

There is not one team outside the top 6 that look comfortable in possession. We certainly don’t.

I'm starting to think this is the worst standard of PL ever.
We are universally and correctly considered to be awful and yet we are still
9th.
City have wiped the floor with almost everyone but other top 6 sides have been inconsistent.
Truly great games have been in extremely short supply.
Can fans of any sides other than City, Burnley, perhaps Leicester and a midtable Huddersfield say they're actually enjoying themselves and their side is living up to expectations?

There's an easy explanation:

DTFV3sLW0AAa398.jpg

The irony is, the mega money it now gets from TV cos of its entertainment has made clubs below the elite terrified of being relegated. Ergo, gets duller.

It’s also put more talent in the bottom sides, making it more competitive than ever. I’d argue that it’s not the worst PL, although the end product may be less desirable than the talent suggests.

Just listen to Ray hougton on some radio show, he reckons fans and clubs are approaching a cross roads, citing stupid wages and lack of trophies for such a large number of clubs and the manager merry go round.

Refreshing to hear

I'm starting to think this is the worst standard of PL ever.
We are universally and correctly considered to be awful and yet we are still
9th.
City have wiped the floor with almost everyone but other top 6 sides have been inconsistent.
Truly great games have been in extremely short supply.
Can fans of any sides other than City, Burnley, perhaps Leicester and a midtable Huddersfield say they're actually enjoying themselves and their side is living up to expectations?

The Kopites, as ever, will be deluding themselves that they are having a fantastic season and that but for Mane being sent off “unfairly” for almost decapitating the City goalkeeper, they would be nailed on Champions.

Other than that....I agree with you.

This is the first season where I feel my love for the sport dwindling and in my opinion it’s all down to money which impacts every aspect of the game.

Firstly, there are too many mercenary players. A player can earn millions a year by sitting on the bench. No effort required. Then a club in need for reinforcement takes a chance, signs them, gives them a signing on fee worth hundreds of thousands with another contract worth millions. Rinse and repeat. The talent is there, the will and even the necessity to put in the effort to go with it isn’t.

Then there’s the managers. The reward for failure is massive. Sign a 4 year contract, again worth millions, go on a bad run of 10 games, get the sack and the pay off that comes with it. Again, rinse and repeat. The likes of Allardyce, Pardew, Pulis etc will have millions in the bank for achieving sweet fa. There’s no incentive to win if you can make a fat profit by losing.

But ultimately, can you blame any of them? The price any owner would have to pay financially if their club gets relegated is monumental, therefore they will quite rightly do anything in the power to stay up. And how do they do that? It’s simple. Money. And this what drives this never ending cycle. If you don’t match the silly money others are offering, they won’t sign.

The money bubble will burst one day, and I think the game will ultimately benefit when it does

Status
Not open for further replies.