Wools - Why are you an Evertonian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not casting aspersions on your scouseness.

Just going off what a lot of scousers have said to me in the past and observations on the somewhat thicker accent that I've noticed from the good denizens of Kirkby and Huyton during my interactions with them and their eagerness to emphasise their scouseness.

I'm a wool - I have no horse in this race.
U
I'm not casting aspersions on your scouseness.

Just going off what a lot of scousers have said to me in the past and observations on the somewhat thicker accent that I've noticed from the good denizens of Kirkby and Huyton during my interactions with them and their eagerness to emphasise their scouseness.

I'm a wool - I have no horse in this race.
it isn’t an ‘exaggerated’ accent. It IS an accent. They change, sometimes subtlety, occasionally not so, over time and geography. Even leaving Kirkby aside, a lot of people could still tell a N Liverpool ascent from S Liverpool one. As is the case in Manchester, London, lots of places. It’s just an ascent kidda.

That's what I did. I said to my 3 lads your supporting Everton or you leave this house now. They were 6, 4 and 2.

My dad had quite a serious conversation with me at around that age. He was always sweet and always spoke to me in a very adult way. He essentially said you had to support Everton no matter what, you might not like it but it's not choice, and that in life you can change your religion, your haircut, your school, your family but never your football club. It was a bit scary really but it's the best thing he ever did for me!

My grandad was blacklisted for being a union organiser in Dublin in the mid 30s
Went to Liverpool and worked on the docks and was on the union committee
My father when he qualified could not get work here so my grandad got him fixed yup with a job on the docks
He played for a local team and went to Everton games
Went back home to get married
Brought me to a game when I was 7 and that was that

My grandad was blacklisted for being a union organiser in Dublin in the mid 30s
Went to Liverpool and worked on the docks and was on the union committee
My father when he qualified could not get work here so my grandad got him fixed yup with a job on the docks
He played for a local team and went to Everton games
Went back home to get married
Brought me to a game when I was 7 and that was that
My dad was the union treasurer on the docks in the fifties. Probably because he was very good with figures. Used to go round the docks collecting the union dues, no direct debit then. Only problem was the pubs and bookies did very well when he used to spend them!!

In the 1960s Daimlers and Jaguars were made in Coventry. They're beautiful, elegant and good performing cars from that era - amongst the very best recognised the world over for their class and style.

I don't come from Coventry yet I have a Daimler.

That's why I'm a Wool Evertonian.

I was asked to put a piece together for my wife to publish in her magazine yesterday after a contributor let her down. The feature is called 'My Team - why are you affiliated with the team you support?'. In lieu of any actual news, though you lot might be interested in my witterings. Would be good to get something similar from other non-locals.

So. Why would a seven-year-old boy from South Warwickshire with little real exposure to football, end up making a choice that would lead to an adulthood of abject misery? In hindsight who knows, but here’s how I ended up supporting Everton.

I liked football. I liked sport. Actually, I liked watching sport.

As a child I had zero aptitude for any physical activity. Reading and writing? Yes. Riding my bike and sitting in my dad’s tractor? Definitely. Watching the Fall Guy, Dukes of Hazzard and Danger Mouse? Without a doubt. Running and/or kicking a football? Hahaha, no.

My dad was a sports nut, we’d be at the cricket club during the summer and the winter weekends were spent watching Grandstand or World of Sport. Didn’t matter what the sport was, if it was televised – it was on our TV. He was (and still is) a Manchester United fan, a regular at Old Trafford in the sixties even hitching weekly flights back from Germany to watch matches whilst stationed out there during his RAF days. He pushed me in that direction but no. I liked Spurs. Ardiles, Villa and Hoddle had got my attention as I watched them on their way to lifting the FA Cup. We’d even braved St. Andrews and the cold to watch Tottenham in action the following season, a 0-0 draw and some horrific National Front skinheads put me off completely.

So, 1982 and back to my Panini album. Liverpool winning everything, all of the kids at school jumping on the bandwagon. I was always a contrary little sort, so as twenty of my classmates claimed to be die hard Liverpool fans my decision was made. “I’m an Everton fan. They’re clearly the better side from the city.”

The first few years and I felt like I’d made the best decision in the world. Howard Kendall’s squad gelling and then excelling. The FA Cup on 1984, League Champions and Cup Winners Cup winners (I even got to stay up to watch that one) the year afterwards. A fight to wrest the league title back from the red half of the city in 1987. What an amazing side I was following from afar. Surely they’d go on to dominate football for the foreseeable future? Well, no. A European football ban saw the best players slowly filter off over the coming seasons leaving for the allure of the European Cup. The enforced dismantling of the best side I’ve ever seen still makes me think, “what could have been?”.

And like that, the glory years were gone. Some spirited performances here and there but no trophies. Little would I know in 1988 that I’d only see Everton lift one more trophy in my lifetime. We’d won so much in such a short time, we were dominant, it would be back. Wouldn’t it? Not long after this I moved to Nuneaton and a new love affair was stuck up. My love of football was unabating. My ability still had yet to manifest itself, so I was forced into a watching brief. Fourteen years old, 110 miles from Liverpool and I needed my football fix. Welcome to my life Nuneaton Borough. The Beazer Homes League, crowds of 500ish. I was hooked from game one. Bolehall Swifts at home. Birmingham Senior Cup First Round Replay. Hardly a glamour tie but it was two miles from my house, and it gave me something to invest in. For the next three seasons I barely missed a match. My mum relented after a few months and let me travel to away games as well. Glamorous bus journeys to The Hawthorns, to Wembley (Wembley FC, not Wembley Stadium) to Woking, to Barrow, to Kings Lynn. It was the perfect fix for me. Still some of my fondest football memories before my move back to Stratford at seventeen led me to follow two sides from my armchair.
I’d made my first trip to Goodison during this stage too. Opening weekend of the Premier League in 1992. The experience just cemented my Everton decision, such an atmosphere and I still get the same goosebumps when I walk into the stadium these days.

From my armchair I watched the 1995 FA Cup win, a much needed (if not fortuitous) win following the almost-relegation of 1994. I’d backed Everton to lift the trophy at 25/1 as well, however I can’t remember how it felt it was so long ago. Nearly 25 years and we’ve won nothing since. From a powerhouse to an afterthought in Sky TV’s reinvention of football.
It’s been a tough run. Some terrible, terrible football and players. Some false dawns and the excitement of David Moyes bucking the trend with a raid into the top four in 2005. Oh, and I finally learned how to play the game as well. I was even quite good for a brief period in about 2001. Never could run though. The final coup de gras is that my football supporting life has come full circle and once more Liverpool are the media darlings whilst the Toffees flounder around hopelessly.

It’s been eventful. It’s been horrible, but I made my choice and I’ll see it through. Would I go back and change it? Not a chance. #COYB

I'm a southern wool. The worst kind of wool I guess. Grew up in Sussex. Some similarities in my reasons to yours and some other posters. I first got into football during the 1986 world cup when I was 6 and started idolising Gary Lineker off the back of that. I'd somehow heard that he played for Everton (didn't realise he'd already been sold to Barcelona) so decided they were my team. Saw highlights of the 86 cup final and although we lost Lineker scored and I thought our kit was boss. Instantly took a disliking to Liverpool for some reason, maybe the red kit or Ian Rush looking a bit of a tit, not really sure. So that kind of cemented my decision especially as most of my school mates were gravitating towards Liverpool. I got the full kit for the following season and thought that was boss with the diamond print on the shirt and the blue triangle on one side of the shorts. Wore it all the time. Once I realised Lineker had gone I started idolosing Sheedy and Inchy. Thought Inchy was boss. We won the league that year and I remember being fuming when we only came 4th the next year. What I wouldn't give for that now. I did have a bit of a soft spot for Spurs for a year or 2 because of Hoddle and Waddle, and my first even live game was at the Lane where they beat the RS. But that dried up once they left and even then they were second to Everton.

It's quite surprising the amount of our fans that I've seen over the years admitting to becoming Blues on the back of Gary Lineker's goal filled season here and then his exploits with England at Mexico 86.

This wool thing comes up occasionally and I haven't involved myself in it. But I'm wondering about my status now.

I was born and raised in Edge Hill, started going to Goodison with my grandad in the early 1950's when I was about six, I think.

Was a boys pen kid at about the time when Bill went there, and graduated to the Gwladys St. terrace later.

My family emigrated to Australia in just before we signed Alex Young in 1960 and I got married in 1970 and we went to England on a long working holiday
and I travelled the country and watched Everton home and away about 30 times. I managed to get into the ground while on holiday in July 2000 when the screen at the park end was being installed.

The last time I saw Everton was v Watford in 2006 during a holiday in the UK and did the stadium tour in June 2018 while on another holiday.

Am I a Wool? It's 11.00pm and I'm having a whisky and going to bed. I'll check your opinions, if any, in the morning.

It's quite surprising the amount of our fans that I've seen over the years admitting to becoming Blues on the back of Gary Lineker's goal filled season here and then his exploits with England at Mexico 86.
How was it after the world cup mate? Did his fame explode after that or was he a household name already? I was too young to sense it really.

How was it after the world cup mate? Did his fame explode after that or was he a household name already? I was too young to sense it really.

Lineker stated a while back that he was well known in this country when he was playing for Leicester and then us and that he could still just about go about his daily business under the radar at the time, but once he won the World Cup golden boot and then joined Barcelona a few weeks later he became pretty much known throughout the world.

My Dad and his Dad.

My story exactly. Dad was born in Huyton, raised in Crosby. Granddad (from whom I really caught the bug, no pun intended) played for Marine and, family lore has it, had a very brief stint with the Everton reserves in the early '30s. I think he still holds the Zingari league record for goals in a game with 13 (again, family lore). I have several of his winners' medals.

Born in Skegness started supporting the blues about 10 years old, when i was about 20 used to leave Skeg at 6 in the morning changed trains nottingham and crewe into limstreet at 2 .15. straight to goodison, after the game back to lime street arriving back in skegness for midnight, 18 hour day only 3 of them in liverpool. spent 1000s over the years but last game i went was 95 cup final. only needed one day at goodison to know what to do, mate with john oster a skeg lad, the good times will return soon , keep the faith

Status
Not open for further replies.