Wools - Why are you an Evertonian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should add, I was draped in an Everton scarf at seconds old. The first sight my boy saw was his daddy in an Everton jersey #NSPCC

For whatever reason (ale), I read the thread title as ‘why are you a blue?’. Didn’t notice the geographical nature of the question.
I am not a Wool, I repeat, not a Wool.
Although I do live over the water now, so I probably am.

They didn’t do replica kits when I was a kid. I was just getting into footie and was bought a generic blue football shirt. Someone told me it looked like Everton and they were a good team because they’d just won the league (69/70). Done.
Very similar here too. Needed a generic football shirt for PE at junior school in the early-mid 80's... My Mum in her infinite wisdom came back from town with a blue scratchy shirt with massive white cuffs and pointy collar, and an Everton fan was born. The vast majority in my class had red shirts and turned out Man Utd and Liverpool, 1 lad had Blue chose Chelsea (Now supports Middlesbrough). I was in effect a glory boy. Shame I was too young to really remember the early years of glory but I have them in my bones now, as much as they get on my nerves, I can't rid myself of the blue blood.

I dont like Rangers (or Celtic). In the late 80s, Souness became Rangers boss and started buying Englands top players including Steven and Stevens. I didn't like that. Without Heysel they would have never moved north, so I felt a great dislike for the rs, and sympathy for Everton that they lost 2 brilliant players which later grew to affection.

Oh, and Neville Southall

It's probably about 1976, a small village in the East Midlands near Derby. Rummaging in the cupboard in my bedroom for my bag of toy cars, I found one of my older brothers scrap books, which had cuttings of Everton late sixties /early seventies.
Next event I recall was picking teams on the playground at primary school, one of the "captains" an older hard kid whose family came from Liverpool asked who I supported, "Everton" I replied, "Me as well", he said.
Around the same time, My eldest brother got married. His in-laws who were friends of my parents, lived on our street & I would often visit them with my mum. They also hailed from Liverpool and were split allegiance, father blue, mother red. Billy was a sound old guy telling me tales of WW2 action, and old Everton teams.
Shortly after this I must have asked for a blue footy shirt for my new school p.e. kit, I got a generic blue shirt with white collar and cuffs, I was the dogs bollocks! Next year I was shopping for new school gear, which I seem to recall, was usually all purchased from "Woolies" (woolworth's department store, to the uninitiated). In the sports department I found a small selection of boxed replica footy kits & to my joy they had a few Everton in the right size. It was the Hafnia Umbro, still the best ever to me. It was shiny nylon complete with badges and matching white shorts and socks, wow, the zenith of my footy kit owning.
Another, more negative aspect has just sprung to mind, something I may have buried in my subconscious for years. My parents used to go out on Saturday nights with a group of neighbours , and my "babysitter", one of the neighbours sons five or so years older than me was a plastic red s***e, I had to endure match of the day with this gloating, bragging tw*t for what seemed like years, when the RS were sh*thot. No wonder I can't abide them!

It was Everton against Liverpool in the cup final when I was a kid, I picked Everton because I liked blue! We lost 3-2, but I supported us since that day. I’m from near Lincoln, at that point I didn’t even know Lincoln had a team. The cup final was on, but I reckon that was it, on bbc1. Sportsnight in midweek had footy, I remember highlights of the 4-4, and there was ‘the match’ on itv. Other than that game I don’t think you got to see any football on tv, untill st and greavsie, the next Saturday maybe. Then mod came back, and sky etc etc.I’ve had 2 seasons tickets when Smith was manager, and then the start of Moyes. I’ll have to get back to Goodison before we move,but based on our last game Carlo has much to do to make us great, so I’ll keep watching from my sofa for now!

I was born in and have lived in Wirral all my life , the rest of the family Mum , Dad , Sister , 5 uncles , 5 aunties , cousins are/were Scousers , my Dad moved over for work when he was 40 , war delayed me and my sister appearing earlier . Not many footie fans in that lot except my mum's sister's husband my Uncle Bob , they never had kids and I was favourite nephew plus I loved footie and he was a mad keen Evertonian , my Dad also favoured the blues and would take me . All our free time seemed to be spent in Liverpool at someone's house , summer school holidays and I always thought I was a scouser when little , I do have an old type soft scouse accent which is hardly surprising .

1989 FA Cup Final. I was 8. My big brother supports the RS so I decided the opposition were going to be my team. Rest is history.

I was chosen

First recollections were late 70s when Bob Latchford scored 30 league goals, and whilst most of the adulation was for Bob Latchford I had an admiration for Dave Thomas who I viewed as the main contributor to Latchford's goal tally.

Originally from Southport but moved to Liverpool when I was 7 or 8 and remember my step dad taking me to Goodison and also have recollections of one of my mum's friends taking me the match.

I also on occasion went to the dark side around this time and even though they were winning everything I still went blue. Don't recall a conscious decision about it, it just felt right to be a blue and that Goodison was the place to be

Can you describe a wool please

I was born at Ormskirk hospital, which has a Liverpool postcode and I live in Southport, which has a Liverpool postcode.
Yet when we played sunday league against a team from Crosby, they called us wools. Then again they weren't the most educated bunch

Southport has a Preston postcode, PR8 & 9.

Formby and Burscough have Liverpool post codes but its stretching it to say they are Liverpool

I'm originally from Southport and I have always viewed it as 'Wool'

I reckon there are areas of Huyton, Prescot and Whiston which are closer to St Helens Town Centre than Liverpool City Centre so I reckon they are borderline 'Wool'

Status
Not open for further replies.