With “fans outside Merseyside” being a common insult to the reds, why are the scouser Everton fans thoughts on international Everton fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbf because of their success they have more fanboys and therefore more weird people who have never been to Liverpool that post online ‘Respect Everton and thank you #YNWA’ about our Hillsborough tributes which impacted the city as a whole and scousers as people - red or not - so for them to speak on behalf of scousers and divide at inappropriate times is not right...

God bless em, I say.

They certainly can't be accused of being 'glory hunters'.

I'm a glory hunter from 1984. So the worse kind of non-scouse evertonian.

At times I wish I could stop (I don't really) but can't.

I lived in a rugby mad house with no interest in Football. Big Nev, Ratcliffe and Pat sealed it for me after seeing the FA cup on TV (not much football on TV at the time) and at the age of 11 proudly wore Everton sweat bands to school (Birthday present).

Close call - first live match I saw was at Villa Park between Villa and Unite with Gary Bailey in goal (junior football trip).

Didn't do it for me.

Brother in law now supports Everton.

Last Christmas my two kids, niece and nephew by choice were decked out in Everton shirts for Christmas.

Son attended his first game this season. Daughter will do so next season.

I have no issue if a scouse Evertonian considers me less of a fan. I don't accept it but I can understand how living in a city where you come across the other lot on a daily basis makes it more visceral and immediate.

I am no tourist though.

I've never experienced any issues at games as a non-scouser. Mostly just get quizzical looks and perplexed questions of why did you decide to support Everton!

But I didn't decide. I had no say in the matter. My Da made sure I was Everton.

I've met STH's who live as far away as Newcastle and London ,they are proper fans just the same as if they live in Walton. People come down every week from Carlisle ,Workington ,Barrow and all over the country .We're all the same when the game kicks off.

The first time I was at goodison I was chatting to a local during the game, he asked me where I was from, told him Ireland, "I thought Ireland was full of redshite" he said.

There’s more factors at play.

Firstly the sheer volume of tourists - and that’s what they are, purely tourists not Liverpool fans.

None-local fans of any club is fine as far as I can see, so long as they’re actual fans.

I actually feel sorry for scouse reds at times. The heart and sound has beeen ripped out of their club. It’s a commodity and a cult, not a club.

So I’ve no problem with any clubs fans being from anywhere, as long as they’re true fans.

@Adam-GOTTV - what’s your thoughts?
Good post but you forgot to add 'as long as they support Everton'

Should support your home team though. Talking to someone I work with from Bury who supports Man U. When I asked why not Bury she said they are **** but also 'you got to have your PL team, everyone has. Such is the commodity we used to call football

I know loads of blues around my age anf older but very few younger than me which ties in with the lack of winning stuff I guess. I can remember us winning the league and fa cup for example.

I only ever knew one Chelsea fan growing up for example and he only liked them because his older brothers followed them.

EDIT I actually know quite a few STH from Ireland as well

Never an option to support any other team in our house. My dad was a true blue - he used to tell us about Dixie Dean and would rattle off the names of Everton players from the yesteryear. We're not from Liverpool, used to live on the Wirral, but have now moved further afield. I remember the first Everton match I went to in 1977 - I got a shiver of excitement when I saw the stadium, which I still get to this day. I am now a season ticket holder along with my son - keeping the family tradition going.
I have come across more and more Blue fans - most don't go to the match, but love Everton and love to ask me about the match/ players when they see me. Don't really think supporting Everton is a choice - it's just in your blood, wherever you may live.

nothing against international fans what so ever, and as somebody said earlier on in the post its the scouse reds I feel sorry for, they find it a lot harder to get tickets because the stadium is full of tourist who are they for a day out and to spends loads of money in the club shop

then again they revel in the fact they are a worldwide brand so can't really moan when for this reason they cant get tickets

in my opinion though and I'm not saying it's right but I always think you should support who you live by, ie if your a cockney all your family cockney and all your family support say west ham but you decide you want to be a Liverpool fan I don't get that personally, like what's the connection?
Other than where the club is based, the connection is reducing anyway. Each new signing is met with 'how do you pronounce that?'

For foreign Everton fans, I think they tend to either:
A) Have some reasonable connection with the club
or
B) Were 'chosen' by something.

PL football has gotten globally big only in the past 20 years or so, and Everton have obviously not been a club du jour during that time...you don't tend to get Evertonians with only a passing interest in football or a glory hunting nature.

Liverpool are a global brand at this point, so people tend to pick them, or United, Chelsea, or Arsenal if they're not actual football fans that pay attention week in/week out. It's not even "glory hunting" perse, it's more "brand sniffing".

Both for me. I'm new here.

I told a bit of my story in the 'say hello' forum.

In the '00s-'10s the USA national team put together a decent squad (by CONCACAF standards) and started doing ok in international competition. I became a fan. I closely followed the 2010 World Cup where we were in the group with England and drew 1-1 and went through. Right around that time, my daughter was born. I took over baby duty from my wife on the weekends and, being up in the early morning with a baby asleep in my lap, I found the PL. Of course I knew Howard and although I just missed Donovan's loan spell I saw that he had played at Everton also.

The American hook drew my interest, but the passion of the fans and team and the atmosphere at Goodison pulled me in. Simple as that. I never had an interest in a "bigger" club, or in any other club. Like they say, the club chose me. The "People's Club" and the fact that it's at its roots a working-class club - this feels like home to me.

Since then my American sporting interests have faded and Everton is my #1 passion.

One of the things I appreciated from the start was that Evertonians didn't look down their noses at American players, as so many others did (with some justification). The attitude I felt was, well, if you play hard and love pulling on the Everton shirt you're ok with us. When Donovan decided to go back to MLS, because he wanted to go home to LA and help build the league, many laughed at him for leaving Europe and going back to a football backwater, but I saw many Everton fans on social media saying they respected his decision to go home, because that's an Everton value.

In my contacts with native Evertonians, I've never been made to feel anything other than welcome. My wife was walking around near our home in Brooklyn a couple of weeks ago with her NYC EVERTONIANS supporters-group T-shirt on and she came across a family from Liverpool visiting New York. They were Blues. They stopped her on the street. They were stunned to see her shirt and asked her is there really such a thing, you have an American accent, you're not English, and she's like yep, we watch every week. It was really funny, they were thrilled.

Having said that - there's the thing where the more people get introduced to something, the more its character changes and it gets away from the qualities that its supporters love about it. It's like when you're a hardcore fan of an indie band, and then all of a sudden they get massive and the sound changes and the fans that were there at the beginning feel left behind. I'm respectful of the Blue culture. I recognize that it developed over decades in a small community. Now the games are streamed all over the world and I can talk with all of you on the internet about them. To grow, the club needs more cash and international fans are a good way to get it. I'm looking forward to my first Goodison trip, which I'll be planning for November - December as soon as the fixture list comes out. But I don't want to be that guy who by virtue of being one more incremental fan from overseas helps destroy the character of the thing, know what I mean?

Anyway I'm rambling.

In the 50s and 60s planeloads and boat loads of people from the Republic and Northern Ireland came to support Everton at every home game. This was originally ,I suppose,because we had a large number of Irish players on our books, and the tradition carried on a little when we stopped getting in all the Irish players,and Coleman became the exception rather than the rule. The influx of players from all over the world brings with it supporters following players from their own country to some extent. When Weifeng(!) and Li Tie played for us we got more Chines fans...but the could have been from the restaurants and launderies in Chinatown( and maybe the odd Chinese lawyer :))

Status
Not open for further replies.