Why the Barca tactics aren't working for us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they really though?

We've had a massively injury hit start. We've been without Barkley, Mirallas, Stones, Coleman, McCarthy and Pienaar for periods of the season already. Any team would struggle with 5 of their best players out.

Lille Sat there and just let us pass it because they knew that we weren't going to do anything. Teams know that if they if they stand off and keep sturdy at the back, we'll just pass it sideways and backwards before firing off a long ball, allowing them to have possession back

We need to mix it up tactically sometimes

Lille Sat there and just let us pass it because they knew that we weren't going to do anything. Teams know that if they if they stand off and keep sturdy at the back, we'll just pass it sideways and backwards before firing off a long ball, allowing them to have possession back

We need to mix it up tactically sometimes
How would you suggest mixing it up, our dynamic players are either injured or getting back to full fitness.

not trying to be sarky there btw

How would you suggest mixing it up, our dynamic players are either injured or getting back to full fitness.

not trying to be sarky there btw

Going straight up the pitch as quickly as possible. Knock it long before the opposing team can get their house in order as opposed to passing it in our own half for ages and THEN hitting it long

Press the opposition instead of hanging back and letting them play

Going straight up the pitch as quickly as possible. Knock it long before the opposing team can get their house in order as opposed to passing it in our own half for ages and THEN hitting it long

Press the opposition instead of hanging back and letting them play
Dont think the long ball would work, roms not that type, but defo need to see more urgency in the passing from defence and the two boys in the center mid positions

The high pressing is the biggest thing

That's why Barca have been so successful

People think it's just the passing, but it isn't. Barca don't let the opposition breath. When they don't have possession they press and press until they do. Then they pass the other side to death

The pressing and the fact it's drilled into players at youth level is why it works for them

1) We're not pressing high like they do. We're sitting back and giving teams space

2) Teams aren't chasing us to get the ball back as they know we're not going to do anything with the possession we have

3) We haven't had the youth team playing that way for nearly a decade like the famous "La Mesia" squad that Barca have produced

4) We don't have one of the world's most expensively assembled teams

5) We don't have one of the best players in the history of the game to front it all for us

I'm not saying I think Martinez should make wholesale changes to the tactics, but I'm starting to fear that we're becoming one dimensional. Lille had no real trouble with us at all. Our only wins playing this style this season have been against Villa, WBA and Wolfsburg, and I think Wolfsburg had a bad day at the office when we walloped them.

Cheerful sod aren't I?

Disagree, Mikey. We haven't really dominated the midfield/possession like we did last season. And I would hardly say scoring goals has been a problem for us so far this season, as we've averaged 2 goals/game in the league. Our defenders forgetting how to defend, however, was more of a problem.

I wouldn't fear us being too one dimensional, we've seen us set up on the counter (Arsenal at home before it all went south), soaking up pressure (Wolfsburg) and a more pragmatic approach (Liverpool and Lille) in addition to how we played last season (which we saw against Villa).

I do, however, understand your concerns. And I know you've never really been a fan of so called 'tika taka', but soon we'll have our best 11 on the field for once hopefully we can get back into our 2013/14 groove.

Got to agree with you with regards to lack of pressing. I do think we are more stand off this season and are allowing the opposition more time and space on the ball. I also believe we have to factor the injuries to key players. Like someone said...if we could spunk 100m per year then injuries would not hurt us as much as they have done this season. Still think we are on the right road.

Pressing is certainly an issue, I agree. Winning possession in the midfield not only served to break up play but helped us on our way going forward last season. Hopefully with the midfield 3 of Barkley, Barry and McCarthy finally being reacquainted we'll start seeing more of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.