Who would you appoint as Everton captain?

Your captain choice

• John Stones (c)

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Another player for some strange reason

Votes: 48 46.6%
  • Gruyere, grilled on the top of a ham toastie

Votes: 5 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not an in your face captain, getting teamMates wound up, he just comes across as being too nice on the pitch. I hate him, but John Terry is boss at leading Chelsea.
Leadership isn't always a case of getting in people's faces. In fact it very rarely is. If your style goes against the grain of the team around you, then it becomes even less effective.

Do you honestly think that of all people Moyes would have made a shrinking violet his captain?

in the dressing room
Leadership isn't always a case of getting in people's faces. In fact it very rarely is. If your style goes against the grain of the team around you, then it becomes even less effective.

Do you honestly think that of all people Moyes would have made a shrinking violet his captain?

He's still just too nice though, you hardly see him question a decision that goes against us, when it goes off on the pitch, I want my captain to be the first in there (not kicking off) trying too sort it out. Whilst you may be right that it's not a case of getting in people's faces, it would be nice now and again to see him hand out a bollocking to someone who's cocked up.

John Terry is probably hated by a lot of the Chelsea players in the dressing room, but I bet when they get out onto the pitch, they respect him for his leadership qualities on the pitch where it matters.

Last edited:

What has McCarthy done to earn the captaincy? What makes an average defensive mid more captain material than the league's best RB or LB?

Long term it should be Stones or Barkley but if Stones gets it over Ross then Ross needs to have s word with himself. He should be looking to lead this team on the pitch like Gerrard did for Liverpoolbut he's nowhere near that at the moment.

Well said mate.

Coleman all the way. The only one who has any sort of captain attributes such as: going mad at refs, and shouting at his own team mates. No other player comes close the whole team is too soft. So er, Coleman for me chaps! With McCarthy as vice coz he tackles loads :)

Yep, Coleman would be my choice too. Better all-round player than McCarthy, longer period of service with us and has come all the way through the ranks from total obscurity to being arguably the best at his position in the Prem - these humble beginnings, combined with his ridiculously low transfer fee, are two factors that have IMHO contributed to keeping his feet on the ground when so many other footballers act like primadonnas and children. Always comes across well in interviews, no off-field bobbins that I've heard of and is one of the few players in the squad who will stand up for himself and his teammates.

I would give it to Stones a couple of years later, as a sweetener to keep him here when his contract is next up for serious negotiation, but he's not ready for it now.

Dave Watson ?
Not sure Stones is the right choice just yet. Give it to Barry for a season or, tops, two seasons and then give it to Stones.

Last edited:

...don't understand the thread, Jagielka is skipper and a might good one at that. I suspect this could be about our next captain but that is unlikely to be for at least a few seasons and it depends on who is here at that point.

What about Lukaku?
  • Not shy in giving orders
  • Would lead by example with his goal scoring
  • Would make sure we played to his strengths

Status
Not open for further replies.