Who was your hero growing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
johnny.png

For me has to be Big Dunc and Kanchelskis. I saw Kanchelskis make his debut for United at Old Trafford. He came on as sub and his first action was to get the ball on the half way line and trotted past 4 players with ease and just missed with a dragged shot. The day we signed him I was absolutely over the moon.

Duncan as everyone has said was a real shining light in some dark times, loves the club, the fans and the history.

Who would you usually imagine being during kickabouts with mates as a kid? Mine was Tony Cottee as he was a short striker. Thought we'd signed the best player ever when he got a hat-trick on his debut.

I loved Cottee. I was like you, I was at his debut with my dad and we both thought we'd signed the second coming. First player who I hero worshipped though was Peter Reid. I think it was because of the way he took the game by the scruff of the neck when we were struggling. He just seemed to me to be our leader and I idolised him for it!

Snap! Loved Cottee, never got the negativity a lot of blues feel about him. He's our best striker (in terms of goals-ratio) since Latchford. Better than Sharpy. Rom's ratio is around that level and look at all the criticism he gets too.

I think a lot aren't keen on Cottee because of two key things:

1) he's a West Ham fan and doesn't hide it (tho' obviously he's very fond of his 6 years with us)
2) there was a perception he was greedy and wasn't a team player, tho' like @Thuck ma Baws I saw it differently, that he'd drag us back into games...see the 4-4 vs RS!

@Bruce Wayne here's a better pic of him :cheers:

efc__1384863124_Tony_Cottee_Everton_Liverpool_.jpg

Snap! Loved Cottee, never got the negativity a lot of blues feel about him. He's our best striker (in terms of goals-ratio) since Latchford. Better than Sharpy. Rom's ratio is around that level and look at all the criticism he gets too.

I think a lot aren't keen on Cottee because of two key things:

1) he's a West Ham fan and doesn't hide it (tho' obviously he's very fond of his 6 years with us)
2) there was a perception he was greedy and wasn't a team player, tho' like @Thuck ma Baws I saw it differently, that he'd drag us back into games...see the 4-4 vs RS!

@Bruce Wayne here's a better pic of him :cheers:

efc__1384863124_Tony_Cottee_Everton_Liverpool_.jpg

Graeme Sharp saw it that he was greedy and if he scored that was his job done, wasnt interested in the team more about himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.