Which goal was better

Which goal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying it is easy and I have already stressed the point imho it was more skillful than Sigurdsson's effort how he took it on first time. However as people have pointed out, usually a Charlie Adam type player would take a touch then balloon it into the air as if you were going for the crossbar challenge, this would make it easy to miss any players inbetween. (whether it's on target or not is a different question) Rooney's effort could have easily just hit the ref and that would have been that.

Go to the park and try and do some lobbing practice from the halfway line if the ball bounces on and around the penalty spot you would have easily cleared the defenders and see how many times you can but the ball between the sticks. That's all Wayne had to do, no one was guarding the net is what my point is. The style he did it to keep the trajectory low and hit the ball as it is moving with pace was off charts though.

Bit confused by your argument. A Charlie Adam style "take a touch and hit it high" is surely far, far easier than hitting it first time when it is coming at you at speed.

As for going down to the park and trying it, you would need someone to be smashing the ball at you like Joe Hart did, to test it out, and I'm willing to bet you'd be there all day trying to hit it as sweetly as Rooney did, let alone in front of a packed Goodison.

Bit confused by your argument. A Charlie Adam style "take a touch and hit it high" is surely far, far easier than hitting it first time when it is coming at you at speed.

As for going down to the park and trying it, you would need someone to be smashing the ball at you like Joe Hart did, to test it out, and I'm willing to bet you'd be there all day trying to hit it as sweetly as Rooney did, let alone in front of a packed Goodison.

Sorry I'm not explaining myself well, how Rooney hit it was amazing, not many people could do it, it was a great goal in terms of technique no doubt. But at the end if the day due to Harts brain freeze there was no one guarding the goal so in that situation nearly anyone could have had a crack, not in the same way but it still could have been a goal from half way. To me if a ball bounces a few times and drifts into an empty net is just down to a set of circumstances. (He made it better by how he hit it obviously) Sigurdsson's flew into the the corner of the goal beyond an outstretched keeper just makes it a bit more like a special goal to me personally.

They have those 'recreate a goal' challenges don't they where Premier League players get 3 attempts to recreate a past great goal.

I would absolutely love to see one for this goal. Be very surprised if any Premier League player scored it within 3 attempts. Maybe someone like Zlatan would.

Status
Not open for further replies.