What's the dynamics with Liverpool FC like in the city?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think I could force my hypothetical future kids to support Everton. It'd be great if they did though, I've got loads of nephews who are all kopites and admittedly I would like to volley them everywhere sometimes lol
My youngest was starting to wilt under pressure at school when he was about six or seven (Ireland at the time every kid supported one of the red teams)
And asked me what I would do if he supported United? I told him I’d throw him out. The misses gave me a total bollocking and I’m glad I never had to find out if I was serious as he chose the way of the light over the darkness.

How can a sibling support the enemy lol I’ve never got it me, my sisters are all blue and if I had a brother he would be my dad woudnt of allowed anything else it was drummed into us Everton from a very very early age! He used to say “if I thought you was going to be a Liverpool supporter I’d of drowned you at birth” lol I get you dad
Irish families do that a lot. My dad is Arsenal. My mum and older brother are that shower and my twin is too. When my twin decided to support them I didnt want too and I was drawn to Everton. First game we watched was a derby that I can remember that is.

My youngest was starting to wilt under pressure at school when he was about six or seven (Ireland at the time every kid supported one of the red teams)
And asked me what I would do if he supported United? I told him I’d throw him out. The misses gave me a total bollocking and I’m glad I never had to find out if I was serious as he chose the way of the light over the darkness.

I have a friend here who has the same issue. Trying to bring his son up an AA Gent fan and the little sod asks if he can support Real Madrid and get a shirt.

I think the answer was that when he can buy the shirt himself and talk Spanish and afford the season ticket he was free to do what he wanted.

The lads I know in the city who support the RS are generally ok.
I can't stand the RS overseas fans and their attitude if I'm honest, our fans from abroad seem to be "normal", they certainly can't be accused of trophy hunting, but the other lot, my god, have you ever seen some of the comments on the BBC or wherever, I feel like sending in troops when I read some of the sh1te that they post.

Depends on the parenting style I suppose. My brother started properly watching Football around the 98 world cup, so with the buzz around Michael Owen and the Argentina goal, that swung it for him and he was a red. Me and my Dad being blues didn't really make much of a difference, if you tell kids not to do something, sometimes they'll want to do it all the more.

At the end of the day, it's a rivalry. Controversial opinion but I don't think, as a people, Liverpool fans are any worse than any other set of fans. The reason for this is, I don’t think the Football club a person chooses to follow necessarily defines them as a person. I don’t believe it’s an associated ideology. I never grew up thinking United fans were better than others because they got success and we all didn’t. It was just the luck of the draw, and as we’ve already covered, most don’t even “choose” their Football club it’s just a loose affinity normally assigned by family at an early age.

Liverpool have got their far share of bells and they've got decent folk too who have followed them all their life. With success, the global number typically increases, which then prompts the conversation about whether these fans are somehow 'lesser' than local fans.

More importantly, it prompts the even bigger conversation about 'what success does to people'. City and Chelsea now arguably have a higher proportion of bells following them than they did 20 years ago for obvious reasons. When you win the lottery, you have people like Michael Carroll and you have those who become lovely, charitable people who just enjoy their new found lives.

'Nowt as queer as folk'.
Ah hey Keiran, I didn’t come on here to listen to sensible common sense, say something nasty about the other lot or mind your own business!!!

How can a sibling support the enemy lol I’ve never got it me, my sisters are all blue and if I had a brother he would be my dad woudnt of allowed anything else it was drummed into us Everton from a very very early age! He used to say “if I thought you was going to be a Liverpool supporter I’d of drowned you at birth” lol I get you dad

Still trying to get my head round this!

Hate the club and everything if stands for , regularly rant about my hatred for the support base . Yet my best friend whose closer than a brother to me and a couple of other real genuine mates are reds as are many god children that’s before we get into the extended family .

When Hillsborough happened I was at the services trying to comfort those close to me and tried what pathetically little I could do to support the incredible bravery , determination and strength of those who fought for justice . I also felt pride at what they’d done not to mention how moved I was when they played Zcars for Rhys Jones at anfield.

In short from my point of view , like many I’d guess , it’s incredibly complex .

Despite all the internet threads, twitter rants and media banter - THIS is what it's like to be a blue in Liverpool.

If your a Scouser and a blue and you say that you have no friends, family, or colleagues that you care about who are reds, you are a liar.

The two supporters are intrinsically linked and will forever be. Certainly the ones born and bred in the great city of Liverpool are, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.