What is the solution to this mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He needs to sit down with the Board and explain how he is going to turn this around; he also needs to sit down with himself and list all the mistakes he has made this season. If he does that then there is probably a good manager under there.

This exactly.
Silva is obviously out of his depth , poor formations , substitutions and ridiculous obsession with zonal marking. He needs to be sacked but not now , hopefully we can get enough points between now and the end of the season , but god knows where from.
Let's remember , how back in November, we were delighted with the quality of the squad and the summer buys.
The buck stops with the manager for getting nothing out of them !.
The only manager we could get in now would be the "sticking plaster" type , and not the long term solution.

Alternatively get Moyesey back
You do realise you are contradicting yourself on many levels here......

It's easy how we solve this:

• The owner continues to acknowledge he's the root cause of this mess and keeps his beak out of the football side of the club
  • The DoF comes out front and centre and puts down any nascent rebellion on the terraces regarding another quick managerial change
  • The manager gets backed in the summer with cash to buy key players up front and out wide and another GK
If collective discipline prevails like that then we're going to be a lot more formidable next season. I cant stress enough how pivotal this juncture is: if the hierarchy bend the knee to another fan stampede to get shut of a manager then we are spiralling out of control toward Geordie dimensions oblivion.
There's a lot of sense in what you say there but out of interest mate, how many points do you see us finishing with at the end of the season? Problem for me is, I genuinely can't see more than 37/38. Should be enough, just, but it may not. That's my main concern. I predicted at the start of January that we would finish 14th if no signings, but could now see it being much lower! It may end up being a true test of both the board and supporter's nerves to continue backing him until season's end.

But as bad as Silva has been, the players have to shoulder most of the blame. How can so many professional footballers be so mentally weak? I always thought Moyes' teams were mentally weak (which they were despite what others may argue) but my God, we have just managed to get weaker and weaker in this area! Recruitment as far back as I can remember has been poor. All we ever hear is about how our different scouting teams always researched everything about a player, including his character. Really?!!

You do realise you are contradicting yourself on many levels here......

Been a long day mate - having stopped at a mates on the way back.
Each to their own , don't think so though.
Silva is done , in my view , but there is no long term solution re manager available now.
Therefore no point in potting him now.
That said , it is a leap of faith that he will get us enough points to keep us up , but we have to stick with him for now due to the lack of alternatives.
How can anyone argue that the majority of us were not delighted with the summer buys ?
Therefore how can anyone argue that the buck stops with the manager / coach. Who else is to blame ?

Re Moyesey : wish he had never left. Did great with absolutely no money. Wonder what he could have done with cash ?

No contradictions in my view. Each to their own , you are entitled to your view.

Moyes was happy with no money to spend but amazingly in the top three highest paid managers, he was happy to generate cash for the owner and toe the party line of Little Everton lets be thankful we are top half. We are not going down this season "are we" I feel we need to stick with Silva and ride it out. It may be early next season before we can see if it needs yet another change. No easy answers.

Another solution to this mess would be to not spunk vasts amount of money on players that don't fit our system - and then desperately try and shoehorn them in after the fact.
What's our system?
Are we to be base the spending on Silva's system?
What if the next guy plays a completely different system - do we have to get rid of half the team?

The solution is stop buying players to suit a system.
Buy players who are able to adapt any system, those players who are intelligent enough, mentally strong enough and who skills are a standard that stand up to any system.
Build with this first. Then when you've got a core group, a critical mass and the team is playing well together and team spirit is strong
which will take a season or two
where we are at the moment - the player to fit the system thing - is too much putting the cart before the horse.

The solution to this mess, on a personal level, has been to demolish 12 bottles of Peroni and watch the below a few times to see what it felt like back in the days when players actually give a [Poor language removed] playing for us and it meant something... I now plan to watch all things 95 back to back, on a constant loop, until we next win something :(

Hardly an expert to say the least but here’s my thoughts :

• A board with a range knowledge of football and the competence to go with it. New chairman, no jobs for those who scratch backs (that mentality needs to go). The chairman in particular has been there far too long and there has been far too many cases of one step forward and two to three back in that time.

• “We were better when we were skint”. Whilst league placings were respectable, having money isn’t the problem, it’s who spends it, who green lights plans and moves on & off the pitch. The people there are not good enough from what I’ve seen and heard . Mistakes happen but there doesn’t seem to be self reflection on those mistakes and more continue to happen. The smugness at the last two AGMs was disgusting imo particularly the CEO having a dig at them lot, treating people like fools if they think we are all going to succumb to that none sense.

• “Them lot” I have no problem fans having a intense dislike for the RS, I find some of their fans to be the most obnoxious, condescending and arrogant I’ve ever experienced. What I don’t like is the mentality of calling them out on their failures but a complete lack of honesty when it comes to ours. If you love Everton why don’t you want it to be better? Why defend mediocrity? I’m not saying be a moaner all the time, it’s difficult to trash something you love but it’s for the love of the club at some point you look at it and think, yeah this is isn’t that great is it?

•Manager: Have no clue what’s going to happen with Silva. It’s not good is it ? (Mr obvious there). Thing is I have zero idea who to say to replace him, nor do I trust that board at all to fix it. With Brands here, to be honest I had no idea who he was when he joined, I don’t follow footy outside our league much . From what I’ve read, seen so far, heard, I’m not feeling the almost messiah like attitude to him I’m seeing at the moment from some Blues. Not saying he’s another Steve Walsh but he’s hardly been here!

• Players: Maybe they already do this but a reassessment of how we sign players could be a good step forward in terms of character. That squad has some soulless individuals with no heart or passion. We need players who do and with better ability. Big task but it needs to happen. We can’t continue to waste what money we have on more of the same.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.