What is a "midfield general" - and who fits the bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was thinking, do we really need a midfield general, most of our leadership seems to originate from defencive positions for us, and players like lescott get it done on both ends of the pitch anyways, is that good enough or for the future would we still need someone to fulfill that role?

i was thinking, do we really need a midfield general, most of our leadership seems to originate from defencive positions for us, and players like lescott get it done on both ends of the pitch anyways, is that good enough or for the future would we still need someone to fulfill that role?

We need someone to replace Cars, he still hasn't signed up and said last year he was tiring of driving up from the Midlands. I think he will sign for one more year but we will need someone in place to step into his shoes

I hope the Kallstrom talks become true because his a cracking player and Im sure he would be able to play CM extremely well. He also has a powerful shot from what ive seen from champion league games,

hmm...too bad the French league isnt televised here in the states.

If anyone ever decides to make Lescott realise that fundamentally he has the basics of being perfect for this role, the better we will all be for it. Think about what he can do on and off the ball. Holding central midfielder role, play maker, Just a smashed thought.

I think a midfield general is someone who plays 1000 miles an hour balls out footabll all the time. Who is gonna deliver some crunching tackles, and the kind of player all opposing players keep an eye out for at all times. Some one who plays with emotion and could rile the troops for a game like this Wednesdays.
Roy Keane was one of the best and Gatuso is one of the best now.
Infact if i was to some it up in one single youtube video it would be something like this:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL_bZAdOKhk[/media]

I know we've been linked with the lad but im not sure if the ref's here would let him settle into the game. The video does make me smile though, gotta love it!

I know there is some talk aboutm Kallstrom, and he´s good, but i wonder if he´s not a little bit too lightweight like Oaman. definitely a good player, but isn´t that good when things doesn´t work out, and can´t change a game. UI think Poulsen would do us well, as a replacement for Carsley, and then maybe another new "General" with great passing skill in front would do us miracle. Maybe Arteta?

No one has mentioned Ballache (Ballack) from Chelsea. He was bought specifically for that purpose.

No one has mentioned Ballache (Ballack) from Chelsea. He was bought specifically for that purpose.

Interesting quote from wikipedia :
"Pelé named Ballack among the world's greatest 125 living footballers in FIFA's 2004 FIFA 100"

I wonder where he presented in that little lot.

Midfield General:

A General directs his side's strategy and actions on the field on play. He organises - tells other players exactly where to play, what their role is. He's a leader - his authority is unquestioned. He dictates the pace of the game, knows when to slow it down and when to crank up the pressure. He's there as the defence's defence, and as the attack's supply line.

Midfield General:

A General directs his side's strategy and actions on the field on play. He organises - tells other players exactly where to play, what their role is. He's a leader - his authority is unquestioned. He dictates the pace of the game, knows when to slow it down and when to crank up the pressure. He's there as the defence's defence, and as the attack's supply line.

Very well put webby. ;)

I think It goes beyond being a great all round midfielder or having tactical 'nous'. Imo, it's more to do with the effect they have on the rest of the players. Peter reid is an obvious reference from a blue point of view, yet he didn't have the attacking ability of say Bryan Robson or Gerrard. Gattuso is probably the best example in that mould today. I would also suggest someone like Deco at Barcelona, essentially an attacking mf who gets stuck in.

Good one as I hadn't thought of him...

Right so in short to answer this question we're looking for this guy.

If moyes is watching you can thank me later for the sketch

picture.php

Gattuso's Face
Manny's Eyes
Lucho's Hair
Appiah's Mouth
and Cana's Nose.

That my friend is what a midfield general looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.