What has been your lowest point supporting Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a 38 year old man I'll chip in here to this thread, I was about 9 years old when my dad, god bless him, first took me to Goodison (A very cold wintery game near xmas were we lost in injury time to a Paulo Wanchope Derby goal - start as you mean to go on, eh) a few moyes inspired euro campaigns aside, its just been generally painful for me as a die hard fan, and even worse I've cursed my eldest son with the same, that said, my lowest point, it's more accurately defined as a period tbh, and it's these last 2 ish years of intense social media engagement, the absolute venom you see or read every single day, the in-fighting, the toxicity, the countless anon twitter accounts, the direct abuse to players online, the way some of these twitter spaces end up in complete shambles. There's huge long term failings within the club as a whole, certain people, the board, some of the current players etc etc - we all know this all too well!

I commented on a tweet about our new stadium the other day, just a genuine question around the design and dealing with the wind flows in that area, within 10 minutes I had 2 passive aggressive/condescending and abrupt replies from everton profiled accounts. I doubt I'd get spoken to in person that way, but still regardless, it's just so dissapointing, I'm sure many here will of experienced similar in one way or another.

Don't know why it's like this and don't know how we fix it, but it does need to be talked about. Such a divided fan base
Your fault for excepting to be a blue. As the saying goes you are chosen! It was your choice. On a more definitive note we'll always be crap, so don't worry.

It's a bit unfair to say least intelligent people, everyone allowed an opinion, intelligence don't always equal common sense
Perhaps, and it's true to say that everyone is allowed an opinion. Not all opinions should be treated equally though. It's pretty common to see people who think that they know more than the experts nowadays. Anyway, we've drifted off topic. I listed a number earlier but the '86 cup final defeat was my lowest.

Christ, i could write so much on this it would be thicker than war n peace.

Of late though. The football we've serve up of the last few years. Its not like some teams who are gung ho and go for it. We've mastered the crap side but are bloody awful to watch aswell.
There is no entertainment value watching Everton.

Been pretty awful since Bill Kenwright stepped into the building. Some really bad days....

The defeat that just came into my mind now was the semi final defeat to them... The Andy Carroll goal.... Raging after that...

There has been much worse days but that hurt

Another one i just remembered...when we lost six (or seven) league games in a row under Big Joe and the realisation that this Everton great was probably just a firefighter manager and at probably at his best keeping teams up.
People see Big Joe leaving, as the start of our fall from grace after that 1995 FA Cup final win.

He is our most recent trophy winning manager, and we did finish sixth in his only full season as manager, but our form was diabolical from about December 1996 onwards. I think we only won two league games from early december right up until around the time of his departure.

Would Joe have turned it around i honestly don't know, but we decided to give Howard Kendall a third stint as manager and gave him peanuts to spend as well.

Around that same time Arsenal got rid of Bruce Rioch, they then hired Arsene Wenger and both clubs went in completely different directions. Arsenal of course establishing themselves as a premier league powerhouse, while we just kind of faded into oblivion.

Last edited:

that four nil against Arsenal away - we had to do something, show something to give people the idea that we would stay up but it was just a complete surrender

that we stayed up anyway (thanks to Farrelly) still baffles me

Status
Not open for further replies.