What does Everton FC mean to you

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will no doubt get answers saying "they mean absolutely nothing to me, I can take them or leave them"
Please bare in mind that these answers are coming from people who are on an Everton forum in mid week outside of the football season. Truth is Everton means a lot to all of us . . . . . . . even the ones who currently hate them.
:coffee:

never, ever take a post in a football forum as literal.

I was thinking back to the mid 90's and how we used to compete for the player transfer record and trophies...
Now we cannot beat any of the top 6 away, have gone a decade without a derby win, and a quarter of a century without a trophy.

The club probably means the least it has for me since I was a child. I have slowly lost any fight I had as the tide of the TV favourites has consumed the game completely. I am tired of the club not competing.

It is definitely an age thing but also the game has changed so much it's not the football many of us grew up with.
That said have a look in your wardrobe and see if you have any clothes that are red if the answer is no you are a lifer there is no escape now.

I support the 49ers in NFL so I have a mix of blue footy/soccer and red footy/gridiron, when it comes to any sport stuff :)

I'm as disillusioned as I can remember being, which is insane when you think we'll probably never have a better manager as long as I live as the one we have now

I guess ultimately I just don't believe it's ever going to get better

I think the team being rammed full of half arsed carts is part of the reason. The best manager in the world can only do so much, the players have to be up to the levels required and show the right attitude and commitment. That has been lacking for multiple years sadly.

You will no doubt get answers saying "they mean absolutely nothing to me, I can take them or leave them"
Please bare in mind that these answers are coming from people who are on an Everton forum in mid week outside of the football season. Truth is Everton means a lot to all of us . . . . . . . even the ones who currently hate them.
:coffee:

Certainly truth in that.

I would also say that there is truth in being bored rigid, as I am off work, cannot go on holiday as planned, and don't fancy going browsing the shops dressed an amateur surgeon all day. I quite like reading and joining in with the discussion on here, and much prefer football, certainly Everton, when there is no football being played.

Up until a few years ago a defeat - particularly a proper "Everton" defeat - would ruin my mood for the weekend. When my eldest was really little and I realised that this would have an adverse effect on him, I just kind of woke up and started giving myself the old "it's only a game" mantra.

These days I feel that old fury building up and then I just take a few deep breaths, shrug it off and wait a week or so for the next chance to practice doing the same thing.

Reading some of the posts on the mental health thread in here also really helped put things into perspective. It can take a massive toll on your MH if you let it. Only a game, mates...

Days? I’m not over that McCallister free kick yet.
Probably still sits in the top-ten worst things to ever happen to me.

It really was grim going to a football-obsessed, all-boys senior school during the Walter days. I think the highlight of my teenage years was Houllier's heart attack.

clubber-lang-pain.jpg

When I was a kid, Everton and football was everything. But then I moved away and then started travelling around the world, it was actually a relief to not hear anyone talk about football.

Especially in places like Canada, Australia, New Zealand. I hated it at first, and everytime I phoned home, all my mates or family could talk about was football. It was only then that I realized the UK has an obsession with football that is unparalleled. And maybe a bit too much.

I don't watch football anymore unless Everton is on. First thing I google though is Everton. Ironically, my interest dwindled more when we got money. I was much happier when we had none. Money has ruined football for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.