What do people want from Martinez's post-match talks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarringtonBlue

Player Valuation: £8m
This is a genuine questions

When we get a bad result on GOT atm there are 2 waves of anger

The first is at the result

The second comes after Martinez talks to press, which is presaged by a wave of 'I'm going to get angry at what he says, I just know it!' comments

My genuine question is, what do you expect him to say?

I believe that some people here would still be unhappy if he came out and said the squad were going to be submitted to torture by Charles Manson and that weird monk off The Da Vinci Code and that he, Martinez, would personally crawl in abasement to the statue of Dixie Dean. That 'telling it like it is', writing off our players, will create some sort of cohesive dynamic gelling together of the team

I know the results aren't the best, and that we're underperforming. I know that we're having at least one defensive clanger a match. I know that some tactical and positional choices leave a little to be desired. And I'm not personally happy with it. But to expect Martinez to launch the criticisms some demand is crazy.

The first thing is, it rarely works. Take Mourinho. He has high, exacting standards, will substitute favourites if they underperform or have a shoddy work-rate, etc. And after a 0-0 draw at West Ham where his team frankly struggled, accused Sam Allardyce of playing 19th century football. He personally 'congratulated' the referee at theirhome loss against Sunderland. And recently at Newcastle he blamed a shoddy performance on the speed of the ballboys!

Now take Tim Sherwood. He actually got some good results last season (he beat Southampton home and away, which I'm only slightly envious of), however they had some nightmares too, notably a 4-0 loss against Chelsea. Tim expressed his disappointment to the media, saying it was a 'capitulation' and they 'lacked gut'. Rather than propelling the team onwards, the team stuttered and spluttered to a series of lucky wins and collapses to teams, notably from my memory West Ham. Not only that, every time this happened, Sherwood's quotations wereused against him to create and consolidate a media narrative of his managerial naivete, incompetence and overall examine the weak performance of Tottenham.

Now take Brendan Rogers. Recently, he dropped Mignolet in favour of Brad Jones and confirmed in the 3-0 post-match conference against Utd Mignolet would be 'dropped for the forseeable future'. Now the merits of doing this are still out, but by directly hinting and intimating that a player - a main team player, not a squad rotation - was unsuitable, it raised further media questions about not only Rogers suitability to manage and control his players, but overall examinations into Rogers' spending and oversight to bring Mignolet in the first place (same with his comments re: Balotelli). You can argue such scrutiny is justified. But there is no doubt Rogers' comments created an atmosphere in whichmedia analysis was allowed to ferment.

My point is here, if slagging off the players and/or performance with typical fan language normally caused a rebound, we would see every manager up and down the land doing so. The fact they don't indicates a football team takes slightly more balancing than that and that mentality is quick to break and long to grow. I am certain that what a manager says to a press is not what they say to a squad.

Fans of Everton should know how just a throwaway comment can cause weeks of speculation by the press. Cautious, careful language that avoids dwelling on the issues can avoid that. Now people will say the performances have brought this scrutiny on Martinez's head and you'd be absolutely right to do so, but that doesn't mean he has to make it worse

People are saying they'd have Sam Allardyce in - a man who, 12 months ago, was favourite for the sack following a set of dire performances in the league, losing 5-0 to Nottingham Forest reserves in the FA cup, and having an unhealthy reliance on Kevin Nolan. The fact that media fuore over his bad patch of form didn't lead to a sacking, and their current form, speaks volumes.

TL;DR people getting angry at Martinez's comments in post-match will be angry no matter what he says

I'd rather just not watch them, or any other manager's to be honest, every one of them is full of cliches and covering up their true feelings in case the media get a chance to spin them into a bigger story.

Just swerve and be save in the knowledge that if you weren't happy with that performance then deep down Martinez will be feeling exactly the same.

"I got it wrong".

He understands football to a much greater extent than any most of us could hope to, so the explanation is up to him, but he can't put our lack of creativity down to sloppy defending like he did the goals.

I want him to come out and personally crucify every player in front of the camera, destroy team morale, turn the dressing room against him and completely destroy what is left of our season...

And then I want to be able to moan about that too...

(in all seriousness I do find it frustrating that I could have given you his post match interview last weekend)

There's got to be a core of honesty running through his press conferences and after-match talks. Please don't say we held our own and were unfortunate if we actually were lucky to get nil. Be positive, by all means, but don't insult the fanbase by claiming a poor performance was anything other than it was (and certainly wasn't "phenomenal").

There comes a time (today) when he has to say that the performance was totally unacceptable and that something will be done about it. Simple as that. Then more of us might keep faith with him for a bit longer.

His positivity is past it's sell-by date.

Status
Not open for further replies.