What defines an Everton legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
everton-legends-everton-2528006-500-375.jpg

Would you class Andy Gray as an Everton legend? He was only here for about 6 months longer than Lineker.

Obviously, the biggest difference was him being instrumental in us winning trophies...

@MoutsGoat is right.

A legend is a personal thing. I reckon a lot of younger fans would have Cahill or Big Dunc as legends. I probably wouldn't.

Alan Ball certainly sounds one from all I'm ever told and the bits I've seen.

Southall is the greatest goalkeeper of all time. And is the reason I went in nets and acted the fool while there. Total legend. But again to me.

@MoutsGoat is right.

A legend is a personal thing. I reckon a lot of younger fans would have Cahill or Big Dunc as legends. I probably wouldn't.

Alan Ball certainly sounds one from all I'm ever told and the bits I've seen.

Southall is the greatest goalkeeper of all time. And is the reason I went in nets and acted the fool while there. Total legend. But again to me.

If you ever find an Evertonian that doesnt regard Southall as a legend, slap them about the head until they admit they are a kopite.

Oh and Cahill and Dunc are legends to me.

Is it longevity, personality, performance, passion or commitment to the club, trophies, personal honours?

Yes, but I think the only thing on your list here that truly stops one man's legend from being another's cult hero is personal honours. Much like a legend, cult heroes can have longevity, personality, performance, passion and/or commitment - its important to distinguish between the two when thinking about what defines them.

As a club, we've had more instances of cult heroes than we have had legends over the past decade (imo).

I mean, I personally think Cahill is a legend, despite what I've said about honours. Simply because he more than made up for his lack of honours elsewhere while he was with us. He was Everton personified. But he's a massive exception when you think about the players we've had over the past decade.

Regrettably, I'd have Baines down as more of a cult hero, despite the username.

If you ever find an Evertonian that doesnt regard Southall as a legend, slap them about the head until they admit they are a kopite.

Oh and Cahill and Dunc are legends to me.

The fact that big Nev has made the most all-time appearances for us would automatically make him a legend for me, even if he wasn't our best goalie.

However, I saw him make his first and last appearances for the club and can honestly say, in his prime, he was the best goalie I've ever seen

Cahill was never in a trophy winning team but arguably did more for the teams he was in than some of the players in trophy winning teams did. In the modern period he is as close as it gets for us otherwise a whole generation of fans may have to hark back to an 80s team that they never even saw play. For me it's intangible. There's been players like Osman, Baines, Jagielka, Howard who have all been here longer than Cahill was yet are nowhere near his status. Jagielka for example is captain and is probably relatively speaking a better centreback in comparison to his peers than Cahill was a midfielder yet only one would ever be described as a legend.

Is there a minimum period of longevity required to become a legend?

For example, I'd class Gray as a legend given his undoubted input to our success in the mid 80s, but he was only here for a season and a half.

Other people have mentioned Lineker. Personally, I don't think he was a legend, despite his 40 goals, due to only being here for a season and we never won anything.

But if we won the title, or the double, in 85/86 because of his goals, would he be classed as a legend now, even if he moved on after that season?! Some might argue he would.

My point is, perhaps legendary status isn't necessarily just about longevity if trophies are attached to it

Status
Not open for further replies.