What defines an Everton legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can deffo see how Cahill and Ferguson would be seen by some as legends, although they're probably not quite for me. Perhaps cult heroes, maybe.

Both became good blues after being touched by the club, like

Really it depends on what your definition of a 'Legend' is

Absolutely, which is all based on personal opinions and is relative to the era you watched us in.

I'm just thinking, if someone read a book in 30-40 years...would the likes of Ferguson, Cahill, Jagielka, Arteta etc stand the test of time when looking back over our history?

Legend is a term to easily used nowadays. For me the last Everton Legend was probably Dave Watson

Theres been players who have gave a lot to the club yes, not legendary status tho

Baines is an Everton legend, in a time when money is pouring through taps in footy players houses, he had the opportunity to make even more.

Trophy win or significant contribution for me, although for a while I'd have just said trophy win. What changed my mind was as follows.

Does Mike Trebilcock deserve a place instead of Mike Lyons and Tim Cahill? No, of course not, but alongside, yes I'd say so.

Does Mike Trebilcock deserve a place instead of Mike Lyons and Tim Cahill? No, of course not, but alongside, yes I'd say so.

I agree Mick Lyons and Cahill made positive contributions to the club, and were longstanding players who had blue-blood in their veins.

However, I'm not sure they made significant enough contributions to be deserving of legendary status.

If the truth be told, Grahan Stuart probably made more of a contribution to the club than either of those when he scored twice to keep us up against Wimbledon. God knows what would have happened if we'd have been relegated!! I suppose the same can be said about Gareth Farrelly, though!

PS - Stuart obviously was a key member of the team when we last won a trophy

I've only seen us win one trophy in my life and for me, you can't really be a proper club Legend unless you've won honours with us. I'd say there are 2 categories. Legends and Cult Heroes. Legends are the likes of Alan Ball, Dixie Dean, Graham Sharp, Neville Southall. Cult Heroes are Big Dunc and Tim Cahill.

I've only seen us win one trophy in my life and for me, you can't really be a proper club Legend unless you've won honours with us. I'd say there are 2 categories. Legends and Cult Heroes. Legends are the likes of Alan Ball, Dixie Dean, Graham Sharp, Neville Southall. Cult Heroes are Big Dunc and Tim Cahill.
Spot on!

I generally agree with this, although I'd certainly say someone like Bob Latchford is a club legend despite not winning anything with the club.

Some people may not agree with that, but it's now been over 30 years since he left the club, and I'd say his status has stood the test of time, unlike Cahill's or Ferguson's yet.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.