2017/18 Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Play him against the dross. Against the top 6 he’s a liability and frankly never at the races- can’t compete at that level anymore but to give him his due he’s definitely good enough for West Brom at Home so I’d start him deeper next week.

My biggest concern with him is that we seem to love letting our players carry on until they feel like it when really they’ve been run into the ground- without any succession plan or replacements lined up. He’ll probably be starting for us when he’s 40 at this rate with Jagielka and Baines on the bench.

He's not just hurting us in the middle, He's effecting 2 positions because we are stuck playing siggurdsen out on the wing just to fit him In the team and it's killing his game (along with martina) if he had been playing winger at Swansea we wouldn't even have scouted him let alone have signed him, gonna have to get some kind of 'get siggy in the middle' protest going soon it's so frustrating! As 4 Rooney, yes He's scored the goals + you can't deny his spirit but he does hold us back, for every good pass he plays now he gives it away the nxt 3 times and it never even gets mentioned by the commentators/pundits, where as 1 mistake by another player and they're villafied for the nxt wk! ( sorry getting bit to frustrated now!!

He's not just hurting us in the middle, He's effecting 2 positions because we are stuck playing siggurdsen out on the wing just to fit him In the team and it's killing his game (along with martina) if he had been playing winger at Swansea we wouldn't even have scouted him let alone have signed him, gonna have to get some kind of 'get siggy in the middle' protest going soon it's so frustrating! As 4 Rooney, yes He's scored the goals + you can't deny his spirit but he does hold us back, for every good pass he plays now he gives it away the nxt 3 times and it never even gets mentioned by the commentators/pundits, where as 1 mistake by another player and they're villafied for the nxt wk! ( sorry getting bit to frustrated now!!

You hit the nail on the head with this one.

My mates a Spurs fan and was really happy to see Rooney in the side. His exact words

"too slow and playing on past glories, our midfield will have a field day"

How true it turned out to be..

Needs to be benched and give Sigurdsson and extended run as the focal point in that position

My mates a Spurs fan and was really happy to see Rooney in the side. His exact words

"too slow and playing on past glories, our midfield will have a field day"

How true it turned out to be..

Needs to be benched and give Sigurdsson and extended run as the focal point in that position

The problem we've got is that when Rooney is left out there's a clamour from the media and our supporters to instantly have him back in the team.

The lad has surprised me this season with his goalscoring return and his overall contribution but there's been plenty of days like this as well where he's just been a passenger.

Rooney doesn't pick himself. Get in the Sam thread if you're upset.

It's not like we were massively more dynamic away at West Brom (who hadn't won since August at that point) or home to Chelsea with him not in the side, either. No goals in either of those too.

It's just very, very lazy to be blaming Rooney.

Can not be on the pitch if Sigurdsson is.
They were back to trying to be the same player in the same spot again today and makes a mess of the midfield.

Neither are bad players, but we can't have them on together. Especially against sides with quality who WILL use the space left out wide and punish us as Spurs did. Aurier had the easiest game of his life.

Its one or the other.

Wayne should be a sub for a bit. The game today passed him by.
Most games pass him by. He had a few good games when he was played in midfield, as opposed to a striker, but he has now also been sussed out in that position. This league is too much for him now, the fact he is on £150k p/w and putting in these performances is a disgrace to this club and its fans.

It's not like we were massively more dynamic away at West Brom (who hadn't won since August at that point) or home to Chelsea with him not in the side, either. No goals in either of those too.

It's just very, very lazy to be blaming Rooney.

He's not the main problem, but the problem is created and exists because the useless fat lump in charge - as the prior one did also, doesn't seem to realise that can't play further up the park anymore and he can't play deeper against a more dynamic (better) side.

should have been playing against Bournemouth from the start and against West Brom for example - started neither game, shouldn't have been anywhere near the derbies or the Chelsea game - started all 3.

Not Waynes fault like, he doesn't get to pick which games he plays, but seems almost like the managers are buying into this 'he's a big game player, play him against the big boys' rhetoric, instead of looking at the reality, his legs are gone and he struggles with opposition movement and pressing, so DON'T play him against the best teams at doing that? Much like with Barry the last two years here in reality

I don't understand why the coach began with Rooney yesterday, considering that he was really bad against Liverpool and when he was subbed off and Sigurdsson went on no10, the team played better and Sigurdsson even scored.

I think he plays more because of his carreer than his current skills.

And also another thing is that the team is always changing. I watched 3 games and every game there were 3 different teams and specially 3 different midfields. But the main problem is that I can't say which midfield was less creative. I saw Schneiderlin, Davies, McCarthy and Gana, and any of them is able to make 2 correct passes in a row. The solution seems to put just one of these guys as a DM, buy a box-to-box (or maybe try Vlasic there because he seems to be the only midfield you have to be a little creative), and Sig as a 10.

Then, maybe Bolasie and the young winger (I should definitely learn his name) or maybe Niasse on the wings. And that may give something.

The DCs and the goalkeeper are not bad. But you also need 2 new wing backs.

2 backs + 1 MC + 1 winger seems to be a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.