Transfer Rumour Wayne Rooney

Status
Not open for further replies.
i doubt the stories saying we're paying his full wage are true.... but if we are that's a significant statement in it's own right. That's elite level money - something we're constantly being told sets us back from the 6 teams above us.
That alone says to potential targets we aren't penny pinching Everton any more. If we want you and think you're good enough we'll pay the going rate.

Rooney wants to play for Everton. Everton don't want to pay a transfer fee

I don't think it will be a loan or that united will be paying part of his wages.

Best alternative for them is to release on a free and lump a potential competitor with up to £250k extra on their weekly wage bill without significantly improving their team.

But if we are paying him 250k a week now... when we sell rom for 70m and get his wages off the books... we could afford to spend 50m and 250k a week if we didn't spend it on Rooney... I am all for Rooney coming back just not for 250 a week

It all depends on how the deal is structured, but 50m + 250k p/w for a single player is an extraordinary amount of money. If this theoretical £50m player signed a 5 year contract, they'd end up costing the club well over £100m over the course of that contract, which is extortionate.

This is a no brainer to me.

Surely we want to bring in the best players available to the Club and surely Wayne Rooney is one of them?

I was 18 myself when he left and naturally, I held a grudge for a long time (the Utd badge-kissing did NOT help).

However, with the benefit of hindsight the now 31 year old me can see that what he did was right for his career.

He has won the lot, now it's time to pass that know how and that winning mentality on to this very promising Everton side.

As for the financial side of the deal. The club is now being run by world class accountants, this is not like Bill Kenwright rescuing Big Dunc from Newcastle when we couldn't afford his wages. A deal will only be struck if its financially workable for the club.

I don't see the downside, if he's crap he'll be in China this time next year.
There is so much sense in this post - excellent!

It all depends on how the deal is structured, but 50m + 250k p/w for a single player is an extraordinary amount of money. If this theoretical £50m player signed a 5 year contract, they'd end up costing the club well over £100m over the course of that contract, which is extortionate.

If we pay £50m for a player they will most likely have residual value should we decide to sell them on. Rooney hardly has that now

That's what We are asking for rom isn't it? So I firmly believe that we should be aiming for a similar calibre of player to replace him... which will cost similar money..

We need a top signing and they cost top money

Rooney wants to play for Everton. Everton don't want to pay a transfer fee

I don't think it will be a loan or that united will be paying part of his wages.

Best alternative for them is to release on a free and lump a potential competitor with up to £250k extra on their weekly wage bill without significantly improving their team.

Borrowing a geriatric Rooney from Utd smacks of little old Everton for me. No thanks. Go get a striker from Europe with his best years in front om him instead.

But if we are paying him 250k a week now... when we sell rom for 70m and get his wages off the books... we could afford to spend 50m and 250k a week if we didn't spend it on Rooney... I am all for Rooney coming back just not for 250 a week

To me even if we are paying those wages...it's a statement.

We've struggled to attract big players. We went for players last season who wanted to bend us over and weren't bothered if we paid them £200k a week.

It'll be a key signing off the field in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.