Waiting for the page to turn - your best Everton memories of Teletext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technology isn’t marvellous today, scores revealed everywhere seconds after they have been score, I remember in 1953 waiting for the score from Nottingham,we played Notts County away on a Wednesday night and I got the score after the ten o’clock news, around 10-30pm when they announced the football score, thankfully we won 2-0. And that was in a neighbours house, we didn’t have a wireless in ours!!
My dad says the reason he loves Everton so much was that we never lost.
Living in Anfield my grandad used to come in from the match, had a few pints etc and my young dad would ask “how did we get on ?”
Every week, “ We won 5-0 “

He never knew different.

Clubcall flashing saying we have made a signing, that turned out to be John Spencer, Everton v Wimbledon, swindon v everton - hoping we would hang on to a 1-0 lead to only conceed on 90 and me go mad [which just checking was 1993] - funny how you remember something from so many years ago not thinking it was that long ago lol
I remember that game, it was the only game I had ever left early, it was a terrible game, but at least we won (or so I thought until I got back in the car and my Chelsea supporting mate who had gone in with the Wimbledon supporters told me we'd drew. I vowed that day to never watch Wimbledon again

Before the internet , there was a digital information service called Teletext . First there was BBC'S Ceefax then ITV's Oracle . Behind them was Channel 4's service ( which had awesome computer game and wrestling sections ) and after that came Sky's. Channel 5 had one too I think.
I'm sure more than a few of you used Teletext on match day ( waiting for the damn page turn ) and on March's transfer deadline day .
What are your best Teletext Everton memories ?
I think mine were seeing Carsley's name pop up while I was at work watching Teletext anxious about the Liverpool game and seeing Limpar had signed for us on deadline day .
BAMBOOZLE was a teletext game

Bamboozle

53C1F3C1-36AD-4D86-8328-FC13EAF28D80.png

Clubcall flashing saying we have made a signing, that turned out to be John Spencer, Everton v Wimbledon, swindon v everton - hoping we would hang on to a 1-0 lead to only conceed on 90 and me go mad [which just checking was 1993] - funny how you remember something from so many years ago not thinking it was that long ago lol
Was at that bloody game! Awful match

wow. what memories. In fact I used to depend on BBC's final score a lot more, and that teleprinter or whatever they had with little scores scrolling up. Used Teletext a lot for Cricket scorecards actually

Always preferred ceefax myself. Less ads.

If I remember correctly;

302 for the Premier League page.
308 was usually were the live scores where.
325 was the League standings.
319 stands out for some reason too, but I can't place it.

Channel 4 also used to have a page for every club. I remember using it to keep update with injuries and news.

338 I think for the gossip?
319 or 323 for the European leagues scores - very cosmopolitan in the 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.