Transfer Rumour Virgil Van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Carragher said Pickford was the best goalie in the league. Before he signed for us.

SAndro scored the same amount of goals as Salah in a tougher league for a worse team. He will be a beast.

Keane, slight reservations about him. A bit too grocky for my refined tastes but no doubts he'll have a fine career.

Keane isn't actually a grock mate. I know you're not saying it in the sense he's like a Huth or Morgan, but he's probably the best passer of the ball we have in our central defence and is usually a very composed defender who happens to be excellent in the air :)

Yeah not too dissimilar really. Especially when we consider the difference in the two sides. It's the fact that one datum point either way massively skews the final stats.

Just having a look at Mo's goals from last season. First goal is case in point. He gets a pitch perfect ball but somehow manages to head directly at the goalie but then the ball bounces right to his feet. He can't miss.

If he wasn't so lucky his goals per minute drops from one ever 165 mins to one every 177mins. A massive leap. There's another goalagainst Bologna (most of his goals are at home to weak teams btw) which was basically an og.

Take that away and his goals per min becomes 1 every 191 mins. He's now averaging less than one every two games in a very, very weak serie a.
His hat-trick goal was literally an open goal after the goalie helpfully palmed it to his feet. Not even going to take that one away from him but it just illustrates why figures should be taken with a pinch of salt.

He fouls a Sassaulo (remember what I said about the poorer teams) before finishing on the goal line. That gets correctly disallowed and his record is now 1 in 207 minutes.
Scores an offside goal against Pescara. REcord is now 1 in every 226 minutes.

He gets twoagainst Chievo where you have to ask questions about match fixing. The goalie literally just watches both of the shots. Not even joking, they are definitely suspect.

Take those two off and he now has a record of 1 in every 276 minutes.

Gerry playing in a weaker side, not had a few season to get to know his teammates got one goal every 365 minutes. Pretty similar to me.

Factor in the fact it's a weaker side and you could legitimately argue Gerry actually had the better stats. Just saying.

Didn't even mention the fact that both Lazio goals were due to fortunate deflections.

Kopites have built him to be some sort of saviour but Chelsea got rid for a reason quite frankly.

I was a bit 'wtf?' about this initially, but then I spotted this:

w7o50w.png

...which is obviously very interesting and remains on-topic due to the #VVD hashtag.

Yeah you didn't understand. Not to worry.

What part have I shown a misunderstanding of? Was it the bit where you disregarded one of Salahs goals cause it was a rebound? Or the one where you disregarded two of his goals because you have a feeling that the game was fixed? Maybe it was the bit where you intimated that he only scores goals because he's lucky, or the bit where you think the Ref/Lino was wrong?

If I was wrong in assuming that the whole point of the post was to try and show how two players were similar, by basically changing the evidence, then please, do educate me.

If we started making wild accusations of match fixing and adjusting results/stats to suit, we'd likely of been relegated by now.

So, back on the subject.

Virgil Van Dijk. He's basically a Dutch Richard Dunne.

I have the stats to prove it.......

Keane isn't actually a grock mate. I know you're not saying it in the sense he's like a Huth or Morgan, but he's probably the best passer of the ball we have in our central defence and is usually a very composed defender who happens to be excellent in the air :)

Yeah, i'm biased as I still have much love for Stones. He showed us what centre backs could be.

Until he forgot how to defend.

I hope he's a better passer than Jags and RFM anyway!

Even Carragher said Pickford was the best goalie in the league. Before he signed for us.

SAndro scored the same amount of goals as Salah in a tougher league for a worse team. He will be a beast.

Keane, slight reservations about him. A bit too grocky for my refined tastes but no doubts he'll have a fine career.

Yeah, BUT. If I were to look back at Sandra's goals and disregard the rebounds, goals where he got lucky with a deflection, GK error or or just rank bad defending. How many would he have REALLY got.

Yeah, BUT. If I were to look back at Sandra's goals and disregard the rebounds, goals where he got lucky with a deflection, GK error or or just rank bad defending. How many would he have REALLY got.

He actually got a few more because of exceptional goalkeeping.

Fair points there mate.

Will give you a different example then - kind of a much closer comparasion and why Salah may not be the saviour that the rs expect him to be

Eric Lamela - Roma stats
Played 67, scored 21, 13 assists, 4905 minutes
Mo Salah
Played 83, scored 34, 24 assists, 6587 minutes

So very very close on goals/assists per 90 minutes.

Lamela would generally be described as being 'a bit of a flop'

Both scored 15 in their last season in Italy before moving to the prem as well.

Fair points, regarding their Roma stats before coming here. But at what point do you regard someone as being a flop?

Lamella. 62 starts (23 sub apps)

Salah. : 6 starts (7 sub apps)

Would anyone describe one of our players as a flop,especially a young foreign kid coming here, after 6 league starts?
You think Spurs fans were saying lamela was a flop after 6 starts?

It's a bit simplistic to label someone a flop because a manager who's renowned for letting decent players go doesn't fancy him. Were Football fans saying De Bruyne was a Chelsea flop? lukaku? Keane is a Utd flop and Sandro is a Barca flop. Not that simple eh? Not least after so few appearances.

Yeah not too dissimilar really. Especially when we consider the difference in the two sides. It's the fact that one datum point either way massively skews the final stats.

Just having a look at Mo's goals from last season. First goal is case in point. He gets a pitch perfect ball but somehow manages to head directly at the goalie but then the ball bounces right to his feet. He can't miss.

If he wasn't so lucky his goals per minute drops from one ever 165 mins to one every 177mins. A massive leap. There's another goalagainst Bologna (most of his goals are at home to weak teams btw) which was basically an og.

Take that away and his goals per min becomes 1 every 191 mins. He's now averaging less than one every two games in a very, very weak serie a.
His hat-trick goal was literally an open goal after the goalie helpfully palmed it to his feet. Not even going to take that one away from him but it just illustrates why figures should be taken with a pinch of salt.

He fouls a Sassaulo (remember what I said about the poorer teams) before finishing on the goal line. That gets correctly disallowed and his record is now 1 in 207 minutes.
Scores an offside goal against Pescara. REcord is now 1 in every 226 minutes.

He gets twoagainst Chievo where you have to ask questions about match fixing. The goalie literally just watches both of the shots. Not even joking, they are definitely suspect.

Take those two off and he now has a record of 1 in every 276 minutes.

Gerry playing in a weaker side, not had a few season to get to know his teammates got one goal every 365 minutes. Pretty similar to me.

Factor in the fact it's a weaker side and you could legitimately argue Gerry actually had the better stats. Just saying.

Didn't even mention the fact that both Lazio goals were due to fortunate deflections.

Kopites have built him to be some sort of saviour but Chelsea got rid for a reason quite frankly.
well he will be perfect for the rs because they score loads of jammy/dodgy goals like that

Some fantastic saves went on. The type that doesn't happen in Serie A.

I'll try again. So......... he got more goals because of some fantastic saves? Still doesn't make sense.
The standard of goalkeeping you don't see in Italy? How can you make such a bold statement? if you watch so many games, you should apply for a role on the scouting team.

Fair points, regarding their Roma stats before coming here. But at what point do you regard someone as being a flop?

Lamella. 62 starts (23 sub apps)

Salah. : 6 starts (7 sub apps)

Would anyone describe one of our players as a flop,especially a young foreign kid coming here, after 6 league starts?
You think Spurs fans were saying lamela was a flop after 6 starts?

It's a bit simplistic to label someone a flop because a manager who's renowned for letting decent players go doesn't fancy him. Were Football fans saying De Bruyne was a Chelsea flop? lukaku? Keane is a Utd flop and Sandro is a Barca flop. Not that simple eh? Not least after so few appearances.

Fair points also, but I'd be wary of ANY player with a good goalscoring record in Italy coming into this league mate, especially as not very many at all have ever succeeded.

The time at Chelsea just casts a little more doubt for me on what would already be a risky transfer for the fee paid - due to players very rarely making that transition - so one who has been before and not adjusted just magnifies that doubt.

Dzeko for example scored how many for Roma last season - 51 games - 39 goals and 15 assists, I've seen him play enough to know whilst a good striker he wouldn't get half those totals playing here - and didn't when he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.