Villarreal 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a look at the 4th comment on this link. seems we mightve got it wrong about LFC qualifying through the back door if this marco lad is right about the precedent set in the 2000 season

I've known that for a while, it's been discussed.

BUT. Disallowing a team who qualified higher than their finish made it easier to allow them in, than us out!

For so, so many reasons we were incredibly hard done by.

Easily the lowest and most frustrating game I can remember as a blue.

have a look at the 4th comment on this link. seems we mightve got it wrong about LFC qualifying through the back door if this marco lad is right about the precedent set in the 2000 season

From what I read...yes the the holders were eligible to qualify for the champs league and defend their title.

However the premier league weren't willing to give up a place ie 4th to compensate the rs for finishing 5th.

So the FA asked uefa to give the premier league an extra place to compensate the rs. They said yes but they were not associated with the english fa ie they could get drawn against any team of any nationality like England

Uefa then changed the rule.

So its half and half. They should've been in it technically but the league didn't want to give a place up, so uefa bent over a bit and let them in and made sure it couldn't happen again

I'm pretty sure it WAS at the FA's discretion, not dictated by UEFA. The FA's ineptitude to make a clear ruling in advance meant that they had a huge sh*t sandwich to deal with. Does anyone think Collina was sent in to take Everton out?

Only we could have the best referee in the world make a mistake like that in his last game.

The RS all loved it when it happened, lorded it up, they're not bitter though, that's just us.
When RS supporters have to go through what we have I'll give them the time of day as supporters.
Best supporters in the world apparently who've never had a real hard time, 6 weeks of last season doesn't count.

****s.

Only we could have the best referee in the world make a mistake like that in his last game.

The RS all loved it when it happened, lorded it up, they're not bitter though, that's just us.
When RS supporters have to go through what we have I'll give them the time of day as supporters.
Best supporters in the world apparently who've never had a real hard time, 6 weeks of last season doesn't count.

****s.

mistake?- i havent seen that `goal` for ages but, when the corner came in it was the least pushingest, shirts-not-getting-pulled-est, goal ever ever from a corner. so what did collina think he saw. all water under the bridge now anyway

mistake?- i havent seen that `goal` for ages but, when the corner came in it was the least pushingest, shirts-not-getting-pulled-est, goal ever ever from a corner. so what did collina think he saw. all water under the bridge now anyway

Maybe so but I bet our season would've been so very different if we qualified. I don't think it's any coincidence that we scored like 1 goal in our first 8 games that year, and got hammered by Bucharest.

All I saw was Bent being impeded. Sure there was no guarantee we'd have gone on to win, but we had them rocking at that point. It sure was a very very strange decision, made even 'stranger' by Collina being given this game as his last one..

All stank to me at the time and still does now.

I remember going mental in the Bullens when Beattie scored in the first leg. Very good header from Josico though...

Maybe so but I bet our season would've been so very different if we qualified. I don't think it's any coincidence that we scored like 1 goal in our first 8 games that year, and got hammered by Bucharest.

This.
This result was so huge it ruined our season. If we'd have gone through we probably wouldn't have qualified, but I don't agree that we'd have been shamed.

This.
This result was so huge it ruined our season. If we'd have gone through we probably wouldn't have qualified, but I don't agree that we'd have been shamed.

Exactly, if we got through to the group stage, I think most Evertonians would be pleased with that, and anything else would've been fantastic, but it was a blow from which I don't think we've recovered if I'm honest, had we progressed in that stage, lord knows where we'd be now.

I think we'd be higher than 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.