VAR

Former Crystal Palace midfielder Jobi McAnuff speaking on ITV4 about Dominic Calvert-lewin's red card: "It wasn't even a foul, let alone a red card. There's nothing in that for me.

"You can slow something down and it looks a lot worse. The contact is minimal. It's like VAR are trying to find ways to issue a red card or disallow a goal.

"The referee has made his decision on the pitch and someone sitting in a complete sanitised room called Craig Pawson somewhere has decided it's worse than it was."

Has a VAR red card been overturned before?
Yeah, I can remember one from last season or early this season that was, can’t remember specifics but remember thinking to myself how bad it reflected on the ref / VAR who sent him off. I think Webb was discussing it on that painful Referee show on Sky Sports

EDIT: sorry, actually I think I’m thinking of MacCallisters red against Bournemouth (surprise surprise) at start of this season, it wasn’t a red recommended by VAR, but a red that wasn’t suggested to be rescinded by VAR

Last edited:

Former Crystal Palace midfielder Jobi McAnuff speaking on ITV4 about Dominic Calvert-lewin's red card: "It wasn't even a foul, let alone a red card. There's nothing in that for me.

"You can slow something down and it looks a lot worse. The contact is minimal. It's like VAR are trying to find ways to issue a red card or disallow a goal.

"The referee has made his decision on the pitch and someone sitting in a complete sanitised room somewhere has decided it's worse than it was."
Said it last week. Couple of extra human refs on the field of play instead of cameras and none of them even shout play on, as there wasn’t a single appeal. Next time the ball goes out they all tell the Palace player to get up and stop acting like a child.

No corruption, just poor refereeing decisions and we’ve been unlucky. Do people honestly think that at the referees start of the season meeting they receive instruction not to send opposition players off and not give Everton penalties etc?
Nah it is just week after week and game after game of being shafted by the officials. Seriously how anyone can watch these decisions go against us consistently and not think there is clear bias displayed and an agenda against us I genuinely don't know.

1000020864.jpg
1000020864.jpg

No corruption, just poor refereeing decisions and we’ve been unlucky. Do people honestly think that at the referees start of the season meeting they receive instruction not to send opposition players off and not give Everton penalties etc?

To be fair with every week that goes by the “no corruption” gang look more and more like the tinfoil hat wearing basket cases.

Nah it is just week after week and game after game of being shafted by the officials. Seriously how anyone can watch these decisions go against us consistently and not think there is clear bias displayed and an agenda against us I genuinely don't know.
Seriously, if I had one inkling this was the case, there’s no way I’d be back to watch the next match. What would be the point?

The TV love it. They get more talking points, more TV segments more interactions out of it. So long as they're in favour it doesn't matter
All part of the "narrative". This is precisely what they want: controversy. Let's be honest: most of the football played tonight was dreadful. This is why the powers-that-be love the "narrative" card. It keeps the media in clover.