VAR

Oficials may know all the rules but they hardly have any real life playing experience. Michael Oliver was on VAR and it was his decision to tell the ref that there was a possible foul. It wasn't a foul in my view - not all contact is a foul and Royal was falling over every time anyone breathed on him. Any ex pro would have been able to say that it was not a clear and obvious error and therefore the goal should have stood. VAR is subjective - so get people in who know how to play the game and have experience of professional football. Until then we're left with incompetent and potentially crooked systems.
This is the bit the refs and var should be observing, a player who is always throwing himself to there ground isnt then necessarily fouled when he falls to the ground after slight contact.

I vehemently disagree. He tried to protect the ball by putting his body across Gomez. He wasn't strong enough and collapsed under pressure. If anything it was a foul on Gomes. Neil Lennon called it correct
Royal was really weak, and it shouldn't have been overturned, but a foul on Gomes? Surely not.

My concern is that refs aren't making decisions now because they think VAR will bail them out. Better to not give anything and it'll be picked up on VAR.

Dangerous precedent as it undermines, the already poor, refereeing standards. The referee is in charge and should be respected, VAR is just undermining this and there'll then wonder why players and fans don't have respect for officials.

VAR is pointless in my opinion as they still pick and choose when to bother using it. So you might aswell just stick with the refereeing system that worked for a century before VAR.

Like they didn't even choose to look at the shirt pull on Onana. Why have the technology if you still have to throw yourself to the ground or force the officials to use the technology?

And the disallowed goal.. never in a million years was that a foul on Royal, he got caught in possession and crumbled to the floor. VAR made it look like a foul by giving pause frame slow motion repeats of it which don't give the whole context.

But yeah.. I just think VAR is pointless when its never applied properly and consistently

I had the one against Patterson as a shoulder barge and legit. Ball within playing distance and shoulder to shoulder. I dont have a problem with that, my stream buffered so not seen the disallowed goal yet

The one on Patterson was different I agree. Shoulder barge , side by side . Gomes came from behind , I’m not saying it was or wasnt a fluke but the two scenarios were definitely not the same as you have already said

In the last couple of years the refs have been letting more challenges go which is welcomed. It got to the stage were any contact was a foul which was ridiculous.

The issue you have is that if you replay something with VAR and then slow it down it will look worse. Is it as foul - possibly. Is it a clear and obvious error meaning you should overturn - absolutely not.

Maybe it would be OK if they checked EVERY decision. Perhaps it would be consistent, but also so painful that they would eventually move back towards giving the on pitch ref control. At the moment we just seem stuck in no mans land, the game flows and then every goal is scrutinised to the letter of the law, with VAR intervention even when im convinced there is definitely DOUBT.
I mean if you are having a game where there are tackles flying in and maybe a few are a bit tasty....... the ref lets the game flow because its one of those games a bit of an epic....then oh wow great GOAL. They then review the tackle before the goal and say that tackle was too tasty and rule it out. But all the rest of them in that game were fine. Bollox.
This is exactly what happened in a game last year, it was one of the key ones, may have even been Man City v rs.

Ref was being commended for letting the game flow and when a goal was scored var pulled it back for a 50/50 in the build-up that was no different to several that had been 'let the game flow'.

I remember posting along the lines of what's the point of letting a game flow if var are going to overrule the ref's consistency when a goal occurs. Pointless, almost leads to ref hoping a goal isn't scored.

My concern is that refs aren't making decisions now because they think VAR will bail them out. Better to not give anything and it'll be picked up on VAR.

Dangerous precedent as it undermines, the already poor, refereeing standards. The referee is in charge and should be respected, VAR is just undermining this and there'll then wonder why players and fans don't have respect for officials.
IMO, if VAR cannot make a decision then the ref must stand by his original decision.He seen it in real time and going to the monitor is unreal time.

In the Villa match on Friday there were 2 fouls in the box in the first 3 minutes. First one was a stonewall pen, VAR looked and said "nope". Second one was a bit more debatable but still pretty much a foul. Its not consistent with how they call something needing to be reviewed more or approved by VAR.

This was the problem with Newcastle's goal against Arsenal. The ball went out for a goal kick and the ref thought about blowing but thought he'd wait because it could be VARed afterwards. Then VAR couldn't get a clear enough view so Newcastle ended up with a match winning goal.

Oficials may know all the rules but they hardly have any real life playing experience. Michael Oliver was on VAR and it was his decision to tell the ref that there was a possible foul. It wasn't a foul in my view - not all contact is a foul and Royal was falling over every time anyone breathed on him. Any ex pro would have been able to say that it was not a clear and obvious error and therefore the goal should have stood. VAR is subjective - so get people in who know how to play the game and have experience of professional football. Until then we're left with incompetent and potentially crooked systems.
Part of the problem is though, they pay refs very poorly compared to the pre Madonna players. What ex players wants to go and do VAR or reffing (along with all the shouts of abuse and accusations of bias they would get) and get paid a year what they used to get for less than 1 week...easier to go and chat some rubbish on Sly Sports for a few million a year...

Part of the problem is though, they pay refs very poorly compared to the pre Madonna players. What ex players wants to go and do VAR or reffing (along with all the shouts of abuse and accusations of bias they would get) and get paid a year what they used to get for less than 1 week...easier to go and chat some rubbish on Sly Sports for a few million a year...
Probably the wealthiest sport / entertainment in the country. Literally hundreds and hundreds of respected ex pro's could do the job - but it may be difficult to find any without some form of bias. Still think they know the game from a player / fans perspective better than the majority of these refs - for VAR purposes at least.