VAR

There are other considerations. In fact one of the videos on the IFAB website demonstrating non-deliberate play is almost to a tee what Romero did today. I don't think you want that to reset the phase either, you'd be furious if an opposition player was rendered onside because Tarkowski stretched to head clear from a free kick.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, it was a goal.

It’s happened to us ..

A player standing offside and our cb stretching to head it clear because the attacker is behind.

The ball drops to another player that scored .

Goal given, even though the cb wouldn’t have been stretching for the ball if the offside player wasn’t there .

I’m trying to remember who it was

VAR is ruining the game. It's ok having goalline technology to confirm whether the ball was in but waiting five minutes to decide on an offside is just hurting the paying customer.
Football is swings and roundabouts and VAR has done nothing to change that so scrap it.

Exactly this , if var was getting 90% of the decisions right and it was clear , then the sacrifice of delayed celebrations , although not wanted , would be acceptable

But we speak and hear more about refs and decisions more than ever before , it’s not accurate and therefore I would scrap it .

Saying that there is a part of me thinks they are deliberately driving this VAR off a cliff so that they can go back to the old ways of match fixing , while also being able to say “ that’s what everyone wanted”

VAR is ruining the game. It's ok having goalline technology to confirm whether the ball was in but waiting five minutes to decide on an offside is just hurting the paying customer.
Football is swings and roundabouts and VAR has done nothing to change that so scrap it.
Yep. Goal line tech is perfect because it's black & white, either in or out. VAR is shades of grey, with lots of decisions open to interpretation. It doesn't help that the people making the decisions are incompetent. Before VAR it was just the ref & linesmen making bad decisions. Now it's the ref, linesmen, & 3 more idiots in a shed making bad decisions.

Exactly this , if var was getting 90% of the decisions right and it was clear , then the sacrifice of delayed celebrations , although not wanted , would be acceptable

But we speak and hear more about refs and decisions more than ever before , it’s not accurate and therefore I would scrap it .

Saying that there is a part of me thinks they are deliberately driving this VAR off a cliff so that they can go back to the old ways of match fixing , while also being able to say “ that’s what everyone wanted”

There's no right and wrong though a lot of the time, they're mostly subjective decisions. DCL red card was wrong and he won the appeal - that's a VAR mistake by slowing things down and looking at freezeframes. You'll never get consistency with penalty appeals because they're so subjective.

Automated offsides should at least ease the nonsense of waiting minutes after goals.

There's no right and wrong though a lot of the time, they're mostly subjective decisions. DCL red card was wrong and he won the appeal - that's a VAR mistake by slowing things down and looking at freezeframes. You'll never get consistency with penalty appeals because they're so subjective.

Automated offsides should at least ease the nonsense of waiting minutes after goals.

“And it was clear”… meaning the rules were clear and they were getting them right.

It’s happened to us ..

A player standing offside and our cb stretching to head it clear because the attacker is behind.

The ball drops to another player that scored .

Goal given, even though the cb wouldn’t have been stretching for the ball if the offside player wasn’t there .

I’m trying to remember who it was
There was Martial's goal for Utd last season, where Coleman's poor touch meant they didn't even check the lines for Rashford? Coleman wouldn't have been under pressure to take a touch if Rashford wasn't behind him.

It's a rule designed to stop something like that Toney goal being disallowed, but as with others the changes build up and build up, completely changing the intention. As I say though, Romero's header yesterday is a prime example of a 'non-deliberate play', hence they checked the lines.

There was Martial's goal for Utd last season, where Coleman's poor touch meant they didn't even check the lines for Rashford? Coleman wouldn't have been under pressure to take a touch if Rashford wasn't behind him.

It's a rule designed to stop something like that Toney goal being disallowed, but as with others the changes build up and build up, completely changing the intention. As I say though, Romero's header yesterday is a prime example of a 'non-deliberate play', hence they checked the lines.

The whole offside thing has got ridiculous now, let's just go back to if your off when it leaves your team mate, your off. If it hits a defender and spins to you and your off, then tough on them.

Football is a simple game complicated by idiots.

Deliberate play should be a given. If a player jumps to head a ball, then that's fairly deliberate. Of course they don't mean it to drop to an attacker.

What next, nongoal kick causenthe striker never deliberately missed the target.

Get these goons out of our game.