U S of A Evertonia

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a good group in Ohio that meet for games. Here in Columbus we have 5 bars that consistently open at 7am just to show the games. Most of them serve local craft beers too.
Good friend of mine just moved from Portland to Cincinnati - still a Gunners fan, unfortunately, but I do know that he appreciates the time zone change from being in the Pacific.

Not a chance.

Our area breweries specialize in IPA and Hefeweizen. A few hoppy lagers and stouts depending on the season. Really to be honest the selection here is outstanding and supports 3 festivals each year with about 50 local brands at each.

All the more to enjoy...or cope with the weekend Toffee Tragedy.
I know I missed this but TECHNICALLY hefe's can have fruit in them (ie: orange or lemon). Its the one beer that the fruit enhances the flavor vs making the beer go from crap to good.

As the President of the DC Toffees (www.dctoffees.com), we've had massive success in growing the size of our supporters club since Everton's 2011 US tour when they played our MLS side, DC United, and the Philadelphia Union. While Everton came over on a 2007 pre-season tour, they were out in Utah. To be honest, the entire landscape of Premier League support changed when NBCSN acquired the rights to broadcast the EPL from Fox Sports for the 2013-14 season. Under Fox Sports (they made the Being: Liverpool documentary), only the 12:30p, one 3pm, and the 5:30pm matches were shown live. The rest were included in a pay-per-view package that you could only stream online, making it difficult for pubs to broadcast anything other than the Sky four.

When NBCSN secured the rights, they show every single match, live and for free. This allows pubs to cater to every single fan. NBCSN began with a brilliant campaign at the end of the 2012-13 season that included the Ted Lasso/Tottenham videos, painting NY subway cars with the colors and logos of clubs, and a string of documentaries introducing Americans to the EPL. They also succeeded in putting together an excellent studio broadcast for pre-game, half-time, and post-game analysis, on-site commentators (Arlo White, Graeme Le Saux, Lee Dixon, and Tim Howard) and additional programming such as Goal Zone (all of the goals of the day), Match of the Day, and Premier League Download (documentaries that have included the stories of AFC Bournemouth, Swansea City, Southampton, Crystal Palace, Leicester City, a tactics show, a goalkeeper show, the life of a manager, EPL referees, derbies, and imported documentaries on Wayne Rooney, Alex Ferguson, etc.) Thankfully, NBCSN won the rights and will continue broadcasting the EPL through the 2021-22 season.

Without NBCSN, I wouldn't be able to get Evertonians together every week to watch our matches. We're the biggest supporters club in our pub, with the DC Hammers growing as well. The only other clubs that have organized support in DC are Arsenal, Spurs, and Liverpool. I've been to 10 home and away matches since 2011 and a number of my members have gone over for matches.

Every year, our numbers continue to grow. My members may have first heard about Everton through Tim Howard or Landon Donovan, but I tend to describe those guys as a gateway into supporting the club. They get you initially interested, and then you fall in love with the club...the supporters...the history...other players...everything.

Personally, I grew up in the town next to Tim Howard and our secondary schools were bitter rivals. He was three years ahead of me and I played him in three matches. My old teammates can't believe I support Everton now because of Howard and how we particularly hated him back then, but Everton is about so much more than any of the Americans who have played for the club.

I'd like to invite anyone who happens to be in DC to come out and watch matches with us. You'll always be welcome to cheer, sing, and moan with us just as we've received such warm welcomes from Everton supporters across the pond.

I'd like to invite anyone who happens to be in DC to come out and watch matches with us. You'll always be welcome to cheer, sing, and moan with us just as we've received such warm welcomes from Everton supporters across the pond.

Looks like you gave me more reason to visit the my company's DC office.

I am Irish and was married into Everton, so I just live over here. But honestly, the key to Everton is Everton and Evertonians (fans, managers, and players). Not sure you can market it. Just treasure it. Naff I know but those who understand, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.