U S of A Evertonia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, one of the biggest things that would make a difference would be actually making it easy to buy Everton gear here again. Nothing heightens awareness of a club more than seeing someone walking around wearing their shirt, but it's kind of a nightmare to actually get that shirt. Obviously there aren't any available in stores (thanks, Kitbag), and the last time I tried to order something from Everton Direct, my credit card company flagged it as a fraudulent purchase, since it's so poorly set up for international purchases.

It's marvellous that they choose to support us with not one logical reason why...

Welcome to Everton Yanks! Also, welcome to sadness and despair.

Rant on!

Honestly, one of the biggest things that would make a difference would be actually making it easy to buy Everton gear here again. Nothing heightens awareness of a club more than seeing someone walking around wearing their shirt, but it's kind of a nightmare to actually get that shirt. Obviously there aren't any available in stores (thanks, Kitbag), and the last time I tried to order something from Everton Direct, my credit card company flagged it as a fraudulent purchase, since it's so poorly set up for international purchases.

That is why this:

""We saw the States as an opportunity because clearly the interest in the Premier League is growing and we know it's a key territory for all the clubs," said Richard Kenyon, Everton's director for marketing and communications. "There's opportunity to grow a fan base and potentially commercial opportunities as well. But that's not the only reason we do it."

made me laugh out loud. if my GOT mug weren't broken already, it surely would have been in the ensuing laughspasm.

the reason there was any EFC gear available in the US this year was because of the efforts of American Everton supporters and volunteers made a massive push to get it.

long ago on the marketing thread discussed by another Yank blue above I posted some of the obstacles presented by the club in efforts to bring in fans. I wish I could find the original response to the Americano who lead the charge. the club's initial response was something to the effect of "oh well, we spent a bunch of money and it didn't pan out."

Like painting a NYC subway car up with our Temp Logo is going to lead to massive cash influx from new fans.

the response just seemed clueless. "investing" in America isn't about an immediate return. it's cultivation. *ugh* brand-building.

this might come as shocking to you Brit supporters, but whether in the US, Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, and even most of Chile (kudos to our Vina del Mar & Valparaiso tour guide) most have no clue.

In the US when trying to discuss the club, I always prefaced Everton with "my favorite football club."

In Paraguay most had no real idea - even though a national hero was wearing the Royal Blue. A week after our match with Spurs this fall, I passed someone in the mall wearing the roadkill Spurs kit. I was wearing our black kit from last year and he still did a double-take at the crest when we walked by one another. Someone beyond just Chelski/Citeh/United/arse/rs bandwagon fandom still couldn't recognize the badge/kit.

At an Argentine owned pizza joint with Argie/PY fubtol all over the walls - both national and club level - and with two dozen kits on mannequins higher up, I asked why they had no Everton kit. I was told it was for clubs that were important in South America. I babbled. WTF has PSG done for SA? I went on about Everton vs Tottenham 100 years ago in South America, VDM in Chile, in Uruguay, Everton in BA. They had no clue.

Argentina at least the acquisition of Funes Mori has helped...but that was at a totally non-touristy dive cafe with a tv in the corner with a table of 50-60something year old fans.

I agree that kit availability is the first way to go. It is the easiest way to heighten the club's profile. that is what might cause someone to check them out.

(matches on tv might. if EFC is on. and still gotta say as a football loving American, I go to the shopping mall near my apartment on the weekends for lunch. La Liga, Bundesliga, and Serie A are on while I enjoy a lomito and a beer. I still couldn't name most teams in those leagues, despite probably having watched some of their matches. outside the big names, of course.)

Going back to prior rant I am too lazy to vault, the moment Howard signed with EFC while being US#1 GK they should have found a way to get kits here. Let alone after his 2014 performance... FFS there should have been as many Howard and EFC kits on the red eye flight to the colonies the next morning as there were Tim Howard memes. Club should have had a presence here with Alcaraz, Argieland now with RFM, Costa Rica with Oviedo, Bosnia with Mo...

the club itself is an easy sell to those not looking to hop a bandwagon.

we have history. we have a historic ground. historic players. penchant for punching above our weight should appeal to the American spirit of rooting for underdogs - but aren't such an underdog that prospective fans have to worry about relegation.

that doesn't even touch on The Peoples Club - the lone dissent on keeping traveling support ticket prices down, Ric Wee, George Shaw, EITC, everything the club does for the community. And what the community does for one another.

for as awesome as we seem to be in that department, the marketing department is diametrically opposite on the competency scale.

rant off.

i need a beer.

Thanks for the tip on Charlie sweet
time-to-fap_o_166015.jpg

Too true. You guys wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a shirt in the US. I'm excited for an ownership change, whomever it is, because they'll surely do a better job of branding the team in the US. The missed opportunities for the club are nauseating.

Yeah, I don't doubt this. Spurs too. Even though Spurs are bigger, they are party crashers this year too.

And it should be us.

Although on another hand Everton are a very, very attractive team to watch, which would also appeal to the American fan base. There is definitely an opportunity to cash in on Everton support here, even just from listening to people calling into Sirius XM FC in the mornings, for the size of our club to the number of Evertonians calling in, it's remarkable really. Wouldn't surprise me if Everton were the 5th most followed team here, ahead of Man City

From what I've seen, I'd say 6th. I see more Spurs fans than I do fellow Blues. Newcastle weirdly has a pretty strong following too, but I think there are still slightly more of us.

Either way, yeah we're doing alright in the American fan department. I wouldn't expect us to have a bigger fan base than any of the clubs above us on that scale.

Rant on!

That is why this:

""We saw the States as an opportunity because clearly the interest in the Premier League is growing and we know it's a key territory for all the clubs," said Richard Kenyon, Everton's director for marketing and communications. "There's opportunity to grow a fan base and potentially commercial opportunities as well. But that's not the only reason we do it."

made me laugh out loud. if my GOT mug weren't broken already, it surely would have been in the ensuing laughspasm.

the reason there was any EFC gear available in the US this year was because of the efforts of American Everton supporters and volunteers made a massive push to get it.

long ago on the marketing thread discussed by another Yank blue above I posted some of the obstacles presented by the club in efforts to bring in fans. I wish I could find the original response to the Americano who lead the charge. the club's initial response was something to the effect of "oh well, we spent a bunch of money and it didn't pan out."

Like painting a NYC subway car up with our Temp Logo is going to lead to massive cash influx from new fans.

the response just seemed clueless. "investing" in America isn't about an immediate return. it's cultivation. *ugh* brand-building.

this might come as shocking to you Brit supporters, but whether in the US, Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, and even most of Chile (kudos to our Vina del Mar & Valparaiso tour guide) most have no clue.

In the US when trying to discuss the club, I always prefaced Everton with "my favorite football club."

In Paraguay most had no real idea - even though a national hero was wearing the Royal Blue. A week after our match with Spurs this fall, I passed someone in the mall wearing the roadkill Spurs kit. I was wearing our black kit from last year and he still did a double-take at the crest when we walked by one another. Someone beyond just Chelski/Citeh/United/arse/rs bandwagon fandom still couldn't recognize the badge/kit.

At an Argentine owned pizza joint with Argie/PY fubtol all over the walls - both national and club level - and with two dozen kits on mannequins higher up, I asked why they had no Everton kit. I was told it was for clubs that were important in South America. I babbled. WTF has PSG done for SA? I went on about Everton vs Tottenham 100 years ago in South America, VDM in Chile, in Uruguay, Everton in BA. They had no clue.

Argentina at least the acquisition of Funes Mori has helped...but that was at a totally non-touristy dive cafe with a tv in the corner with a table of 50-60something year old fans.

I agree that kit availability is the first way to go. It is the easiest way to heighten the club's profile. that is what might cause someone to check them out.

(matches on tv might. if EFC is on. and still gotta say as a football loving American, I go to the shopping mall near my apartment on the weekends for lunch. La Liga, Bundesliga, and Serie A are on while I enjoy a lomito and a beer. I still couldn't name most teams in those leagues, despite probably having watched some of their matches. outside the big names, of course.)

Going back to prior rant I am too lazy to vault, the moment Howard signed with EFC while being US#1 GK they should have found a way to get kits here. Let alone after his 2014 performance... FFS there should have been as many Howard and EFC kits on the red eye flight to the colonies the next morning as there were Tim Howard memes. Club should have had a presence here with Alcaraz, Argieland now with RFM, Costa Rica with Oviedo, Bosnia with Mo...

the club itself is an easy sell to those not looking to hop a bandwagon.

we have history. we have a historic ground. historic players. penchant for punching above our weight should appeal to the American spirit of rooting for underdogs - but aren't such an underdog that prospective fans have to worry about relegation.

that doesn't even touch on The Peoples Club - the lone dissent on keeping traveling support ticket prices down, Ric Wee, George Shaw, EITC, everything the club does for the community. And what the community does for one another.

for as awesome as we seem to be in that department, the marketing department is diametrically opposite on the competency scale.

rant off.

i need a beer.
In addition to this, there's a distinct lack of stuff in the way of documentaries about Everton. Only some old stuff, which never really did it justice. You could cobble together some pretty impressive stuff from old reels and today's filmmaking techniques. I genuinely find it appalling there isn't an unofficial history somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.