Truly world class.........?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a true story about Ray Wilson. In the late 1950's I was living in Leeds. I can't remember who the Leeds manager was, (it was before Don Revie).
The Leeds manager, on a scouting trip, went to watch a Huddersfield Town match. The left back in the match programme couldn't play so Ray Wilson played. The Leeds manager was so impressed he bought the name in the programme, who turned out to be garbage. I know, because I saw him play!
By the way Ray Wilson started off as an average outside left then was converted to left back where he became an outstanding defender and won a World Cup winning medal in that position.

Lineker without doubt. He played at the same time as some of the greatest strikers ever (worldwide) and still could have fitted in at any club.

Yup, scored 40 goals I think in his one season here, scored loads for England against some very good teams! What we wouldn’t do now for someone who scored that number of goals!

Following on from one of @Joey66 recent pictures, he described Ray Wilson as “a great left back in the world”! Got me thinking about the truly world class players I’ve seen play for Everton.

So here’s my small but classy list of the the ones i’ve actually seen and would deem to be world class..............

Alex Young
Ray Wilson
Alan Ball
Neville Southall
Andre Kanchelskis

All depends I suppose on the definition of World Class - so i’ll sit back and wait for the Tony Hibbert, Leon Osman and Ashley Williams shouts!

...I recall this conversation some time ago, and you’re right it does depend on the definition of World Class. My definition is ‘the player would have got a game for any team on the planet’, when they were with Everton. I also think longevity is a factor, so would include only players who were with us 2 seasons or more.

I’m 62 and reckon I have only seen 3 world class players at Everton;

Alan Ball, Ray Wilson and Neville Southall.

I consider Kanchelskis, Lineker and Rooney on the periphery but not qualifying on my definition criteria.

Last edited:

I'd have Sheedy on that list too. And Tim Cahill

Sheedy, a brilliant player in what was a brilliant team, but I think that’s what they were - a brilliant team - and apart from Southall I always felt they were a team that was made up of very very good players, playing a brand of football at the time that suited the sum of all of the parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.