Traore or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naismith is far too often underestimated. Fair enough he isn't a world class striker, yet he clearly showed last season he can contribute to our games with goals, quality performances and a fantastic work ethic - in some extremely important games I may add.

Would I rely on Naismith up front on a regular basis? No I probably wouldn't. However, I do think he can be trusted to contribute quite a lot through the season either as either a starting player or an impact sub.

Too many people still have the image of the 'Moyes Naismith' engrained on their brain.

Quite right, if the main striker went down at other teams, there a lot of teams that would suffer more than us...

I would say that City, Arsenal and United aside, Naismith is as good a replacement to the main striker as anyone else out there.
There are probably a couple of clubs I havn't thought of, but generally if a striker is any good, he plays every game or leaves.

Mirallas is another to add to the back-up list...

Played up front for Olympiacos and was top scorer in the league in one of his seasons there (2nd top the other season)

Also reckon Barkley could do the job better than most actual strikers - has better touch & ball-control, is two-footed, plus strength/height and speed... And a rocket of a shot...

Stick him up front with Osman / Besic taking his midfield spot...

Rémy on the other hand we could get permo for a good price
A good price being?

The fee Liverpool were willing to pay (£8m) was a specific release clause for CL clubs. I'm pretty sure QPR were reluctant to release him for less than £12-15m to Newcastle earlier in the summer. Now that they are confident they are able to retain his services, I doubt QPR will sell him for any less. In fact, it may be more. Do we have that type of money available?

I'm not attempting to antagonise here by the way, just trying to be realistic.

Rumour has Eto'o to Ajax as favourites, considering their maximum wage packet is considered to be £35k, then i think we could afford him if we are indeed looking at him. Sometimes clubs break the bank to bring in a big name, only if they think the player is a huge hit in the commercial department such as shirt sales, I would of loved Ronaldinho's name ironed onto the royal blue jersey.

Remy & Hernandez (hernandez being my choice) may just be a step too far after shelling out £28million on Lukaku. Only a squad player leaving for good money ala Jelavic & Anichebe could pay the way.

Remy's release was something like
8M - CL teams
10M - top 6 teams
Whatever they want to charge others.

As said, agreed I doubt we'v really got any funds left for such signings given the signing of lukaku.

But if a loan could be done then Great!! Clearly qpr would rather sell or keep so I'd imagine whoever were waiting for is gonna go down to the wire. As often is the case you have no choice other than waiting till dead line day for some deals to get over the line.

Hopefully we'v got a couple of suprises left this window alas last aug!!

Even Jelavic would do right now, or even Anichebe, anyone who will be able to play on Saturday afternoons....

I am actually concerned as Traore is injury prone, Atsu is untested and Henen will be in the U21s.
That leaves Naismith, Kone and Long which is frightening for back up.

Unless he's injured Lukaku is going to start 99% of our games. I think that Roberto had Traore in mind as a game-changer to send on from the bench. As long as Kone is fit, I think we've got enough bodies considering that we only play one up top and we could use Mirallas there if we had to. Maybe we're lacking a bit of quality variety though.

Naismith is more than good enough as a reserve striker, he's better than a lot of second tier strikers out there anyway. Scores goals, good first touch, plenty of aggression and heart, just not a sexy name to put out there.

I get that about Naismith, my fear is if Lukaku gets a long term injury that he wouldn't be able to cut it week in, week out.

I get that about Naismith, my fear is if Lukaku gets a long term injury that he wouldn't be able to cut it week in, week out.
Unfortunately we are limited in our ability to afford Lukaku class alternatives to Lukaku going down long term. Anything up to a few months and Naismith will be fine, beyond that, not sure, think we'll drop several points with the absence of the big man, but I have been assured that we are yet to be able to judge Kone who may still come good.

Think we'd do better getting a decent Barkley backup or McGeady backup/replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.