Toxic rival fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t particularly care what other clubs think of us but as others have said it is interesting to see.

Most of these rivalries are just made up from twitter arguments there’s nothing really there.

from West Ham fans on twitter and ones I know personally they wanted us to go down but their fans that travelled to Leeds & Leciester were more than happy to be goading them at both games.

There’s no rivalry between us & Newcastle it’s just Newcastle don’t like Pickford & we don’t like Gordon.

I have found the reaction from the supporters of other English based football clubs of our survival very interesting.

It is not just the RS it seems to be right across the board a real disappointment that we have survived.

It is strange on one hand as we are a poorly run club who have not won a trophy for nearly 30 years and are unlikely to offer up any threat to the sharp end of the table for the foreseeable future.

I do start to wonder if on some level there is a bit of jealousy towards the club and its position as the old lady of English football. One of the founder league members. A club that is still integral to its local community with a highly concentrated local support base

For the Sky 6 success has come at a price. Prawn sandwiches, cheese rooms, half and half scarfs. It is a diluted experience. Look at the RS when they experienced a little adversity under Hodgson their attendances started to drop as people from Denmark no longer wanted to make the journey. Same thing happened to Arsenal a couple of years back when they were struggling. They still reported sell outs but some season ticket holders stopped turning up. We have been served up poo on a stick for large parts of the last 30 years. The last two seasons back to back relegation battles yet we have still been filling a stadium that has thousands of restricted view seats. The support should be proud. It also highlights how important it is that the transition to the new stadium is done properly to ensure we don’t lose our soul
The correct response is to sign up to opposition fan fora and engage productively in a fans liason capacity. Rapprochement is needed in these dark times.

I nominate @chicoazul @Bungle @Moomin in @davek and @ForeverBlue92 as Everton outreach and engagement officers.

What I’ve found truly bizarre is the hatred from the reds, tbh.

When we were half decent under Moyes, and finished above them a couple of times, they pitied us, no hatred, we were just a team to laugh at.

Something has changed recently though, and the amount of reds who are genuinely toxic towards us is bizarre. Genuinely believe they’re more bitter than we are these days.

I guess we fall under the Newcastle category in like 2008. Huge club, everyone wants to laugh at because it’s a huge story. Add into the mix the FFP, and how everyone else is adhering to it, and usually means people want to see us suffer.

The phrase I keep getting is “Self-Entitled”, find me a club who if they spent £500m and found them selves significantly worse off, wouldn’t be absolutely beside themselves.

The narrative does seem to be that we have been narrowly escaping relegation every season for 20 years.

Apart from the past 2 seasons we haven't been in serious danger since 1998.

Even when we finished 17th in 2004 I don't recall being concerned about relegation at any stage.

Furthermore from 2005 to 2017 we usually finished in the top 8.

What I’ve found truly bizarre is the hatred from the reds, tbh.

When we were half decent under Moyes, and finished above them a couple of times, they pitied us, no hatred, we were just a team to laugh at.

Something has changed recently though, and the amount of reds who are genuinely toxic towards us is bizarre. Genuinely believe they’re more bitter than we are these days.

I guess we fall under the Newcastle category in like 2008. Huge club, everyone wants to laugh at because it’s a huge story. Add into the mix the FFP, and how everyone else is adhering to it, and usually means people want to see us suffer.

The phrase I keep getting is “Self-Entitled”, find me a club who if they spent £500m and found them selves significantly worse off, wouldn’t be absolutely beside themselves.
Sir I refute ever comparing Newcastle favourably to Everton and also referring to the north east irrelevance as massive in anything other than failure and scruffiness.

I bid thee good day.

We were out at a footy bar in Pittsburgh on Sunday and there were lots of Evertonians there, and lots of RS fans

Come the 80th minute and all of us in blue are puking our guts out, I mean having a real shocker trying to get through the last 15 minutes (ended up 20). I turn to my right there's this 70 or 80 something couple decked out in Liverpool gear, definitely from England (can't tell if scouse by accent, but definitely English) and the woman is like come on Everton. Pretty much all the RS fans were rooting for Everton to stay up, celebrating with us after. The old couple were like it's good for Liverpool (the city) if Everton stay up and Everton should never be in the championship, talking about the new stadium, etc.

Wonder if that's the feeling in the city right now?
Depends on the fans, I guess. I know lots who wanted Everton to stay up or at a minimum were sympathetic to the idea of our survival.

I know a few who, I suspect, jokingly made comments about us going down. A fair few, however, openly wanted us to go down and mocked the prospect.

It all boils down to the individual. The younger generation as a whole are far more partisan on both sides of the divide.

Status
Not open for further replies.