Tony Hibbert

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not being funny, but if the club wanted to extend his contract they'd have approached him about it. He wasn't approached, thus his contract wasn't extended. I don't get why that is hard to comprehend. Yes, they could have taken him to one side and said "Listen, Tony, you've shown great loyalty to us over the last decade, but due to your lack of playing time in recent seasons, we've decided not to renew your contract, all the best", but they essentially told him he wasn't getting a new deal by... you know... not offering him one. I'd also like to echo many comments about him being more than happy to pocket 20 odd grand a week for the past 10 years despite offering, at best, very little to the club in return. To have the audacity to then complain about the way he left the club... that's the real outrage here. Do one Tony, I hope you realise just how lucky you were to not only get to represent the club we all love so much, but to also be made a millionaire from it despite being so, so limited as a player. Thank God he hasn't been kept on the coaching staff, absolutely useless footballer.

Footballer in not happy to leave a football club shocker

This'll all blow over eventually

He'll apologise in due time and this will all be seen for what it is

Longtime player leaves and is sore about it because he clearly loved playing for Everton and now has to fill an Everton shaped hole in his life, when he thought he might have got a pat on the back out the door

He's over reacted, as are the people slating him, and in a couple of years we'll look back at this thread and shake our heads at the silliness of it all

The clubs not handled it well, he's certainly not handled it well and some of our fan base have taken the opportunity to let their jealousy come to the fore, as it always does with Hibbert. Sad to say lads but, for all his flaws, Tony Hibbert was good enough to be a Premier League Right Back for a sustained period of time. Comparatively he wasn't as great as some of the full time pro's he shared a dressing room with, but compared to people like you, he may as well have been Pele

He got to play for Everton, you didn't. Stop being such cry arses about it

Why has Tony Hibbert got a blue 'player' tag on his thread ?

Come to think of it, why has Tony Hibbert got a thread ? Plenty of fishing forums out there.

If he hadn't gambled and fished away his millions over the past 4 years instead of concentrating on playing football I would have some sympathy.

As if he went into the final 6 months of his contract and didnt ask his agent about a new contract. "Everton dont want to speak about a new contract Tony, lets look at other options.... oh wait, no professional club wants you"

Hibbert was a very ordinary footballer who made the most of what he had and represented Everton to the best of his abilities over a number of years. He was a dying breed of fullback whos first job is to actually defend and stop balls coming in to the box. Something that he was very good at. Unfortunately modern football requires your full backs to attack and bomb on and Tony was always found wanting in this regard. He should not have been given his last contract extension as we should have been looking to replace him with a newer model then. He has in my opinion been given life changing sums of money for doing very little over the past two seasons, as well as been given a testimonial. In other words he has really been looked after by Everton and if he had been at another premier league club he would have been put out to pasture long ago.

Having said all of the above I do find it strange that no-one had the courtesy to call him Osman or Pienaar as all have done a lot for Everton over the years (not the last 2 years any of them but prior to that). One of the things Everton prides itself on is its family atmosphere and the view that it is a caring club and in this I think the club has let itself down. For the people saying what has Hibberts agent been upto, he surely would have known - I don't think he has an agent and judging by his comments I think he expected his buddy Bill to give him a call. It hasn't happened, he feels a bit miffed and he has mouthed off. I do think it is something that he will regret because he didn't need to say anything to anyone. If its true that he has still been training at Finch Farm I would imagine that he may not be anymore.

Its sad you didn't get a phone call but you shouldn't have ran to the press. Two wrongs certainly don't make a right and you have tarnished the way some Everton fans will look at you. Everton may well have been a family under Moyes, we became a shambles under Martinez, we are now becoming a proper business under Moshiri and unfortunately sometimes sentimentality can be forgotten. Thanks for your efforts Tony in the past but its time to move on.

If he hadn't gambled and fished away his millions over the past 4 years instead of concentrating on playing football I would have some sympathy.

As if he went into the final 6 months of his contract and didnt ask his agent about a new contract. "Everton dont want to speak about a new contract Tony, lets look at other options.... oh wait, no professional club wants you"

"Fished away his millions" Made me laugh that, brilliant.

87 pages haha least everyone is moaning about an ex player for a change and giving the current ones a break.

Let's start a Phil Neville thread, let off some steam about how sh8t life as an Evertonian really is.... Nothing is worse than Phil Neville's little run and jump when he was leading the team out, clapping and pointing pre-match and no-one listening, then going 90mins hiding from the ball and having the game pass him by, apart from the odd pass he couldn't hide from, then striking the ball across the pitch like his pal Becks.... but it landing in row W of the Family Enclosure.

He got to play for Everton, you didn't. Stop being such cry arses about it

You made some good points then spoiled it by saying our slating of him and his comments are caused by jealousy. I can't speak on behalf of others, but in my case you are talking wibble sir.

I'm not envious at all that he put on the royal blue jersey, as I've written earlier I never thought he was a great player but he performed a job. Probably the kind of job I'd expect any league player to be able to do with all honesty.

Was he blessed with outstanding speed, skill or aggression? He's just so vanilla to me.

The only reason he was here so long was because he must have had incriminating evidence against Moyes and he was treated specially because he was a local lad and a model profesional.

Did the club get it wrong? Absolutely! He and anyone else who did not get their contracts renewed deserved at least a phone call. I would expect the manager to make that call but it wasn't a normal summer, we didn't have a manager and when we did, should Koeman who hasn't really had a relationship with him be expected to make that call? I'm not sure, perhaps Bill should have but he's been ill and we all know Elstone can't even tie his own shoelaces yet.

In my mind the comments (if true) he made were OTT. He was treated well by the club for many a year and one problem however upsetting to him shouldn't have sparked that reaction.

It is a big kick in the teeth to all the good work that EinC do if nothing else. We get told Everton is special yet someone whose played here for 25 years can't see that.

He had every right to have a moan and say he wasn't treated with respect and he was upset how he was let go but he decided to go on the offensive.

Who knew his first attack would end up as an own goal... :Blink: OK should have seen it coming really!

He sounds like your typical disgruntled ex-employee, the only difference being, he is a millionaire "celebrity" (of sorts), who can sell his opinion to the first gossip rag that is willing to pay enough. Meanwhile, in the real world, tens of thousands of people across the world get sacked on a daily basis, without so much as a warning, apology or thank you.
If he had any integrity, or humility, then he would be thanking the club and all of the supporters for giving him such a wonderful opportunity in life! Maybe then, we the people, that make up this fantastic club, would have some sympathy for the way his exit was handled. In the meantime, I would prefer he just disappears into the land of the forgotten, as we have other, more important things to worry about on here!

Status
Not open for further replies.