2022/23 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why this good-looking, wealthy, free spirit of a young man who plays for the club he loves, annoys people so much? It's not even like he had a disaster of a game against Leeds United yesterday.

Tom Davies - What a guy.
Tom Davies.jpg

The suit looks better in pink with a blue shirt, IMHO
Tom Davies .jpg

On the Boston Red Sox board I frequent, we named a pitcher named John Burkett The Napkin (you’d say The Serviette).

The idea being that you might, in extremis, find yourself without proper toilet tissue after voiding your bowels, and you are forced to use a napkin. Now, you would never use the napkin as your first choice, you’re unhappy using the napkin, it’s unpleasant, but upon using it it’s job done and even if it’s not ideal, you’ve muddled through and achieved the needed outcome.

Perhaps Tom Davies is The Napkin.

He does ok, he is usually in the right spot, he sees plays develop and positions himself correctly, he doesn’t shoot well but he’s put in at least two through balls so far that could/should have been goals. He can put in a tackle.

Trouble is he’s not physically a plus player. He’s neither strong enough nor pacy enough nor big enough to dominate with his physicality or to prevent himself from getting beat by a physically dominant player. He can tick along but he lacks a plus physical attribute to dominate the game in the middle of the park.

Tom really does seem to device opinion. Personally I don’t see his worth, he appears to me to be a player who doesn’t really do much wrong but on the other hand he doesn’t contribute much, good squad player but not a starter. Hopefully the rumours about Gana are correct and he arrived last night. Gana, Onana, Iwobi and Doucoure would be a strong midfield, lacks a bit of forward passing but with Gordon and DCL up front I think we would have enough to get further up the table.

Depending on his wage he could be a decent option from the bench to see out a game when other players' legs are tired. He's never, ever going to come in and help turn a draw into a win though. That said, he should want to be playing regularly and to do that he should drop down a division and make a success of himself. Does he want to be remembered as the local lad who took a wage for 15 years despite never improving past the age of 18, when he could have become a key player for another team? It's a very cushy position he finds himself in; I just hope this is his final contract with us as he's obviously not good enough.

Wasn't bad last night, was great either, the weakest of the 3 CMs which is mad when you consider Onana is new and Iwobi only became a CM very recently.

Probably didn't help his cause that he got a daft yellow so he had to play with shackles on all game. Daft thing for him to do, the referee was also completely awful yesterday and favoured the home team so badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.