2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am another poster who has questioned whether he can cut it at this level. I also questioned Calvert Lewin under Silva. The one thing with Tom for me is he looks like he’s improved his temperament. I remember only a couple of months ago he played a good 40 minutes against Arsenal then gave a pen away and struggled from that moment in the game. He looks much better mentally and weirdly looks stronger and more assured the last few appearances.

hes only 22 too ! I always think if you have height or pace then form never stops those two things. he has neither so when he's not on form it looks harder for him ! when hes on it theres a good player there ! saw one paper gave him a 6 yesterday ? haha dont think they must have watched the game ! he was tremendous !

I’m unsure where this “agenda” thing has come from. People didn’t like Davies playing cos he wasn’t good enough, we were a weaker side with him in it; it’s that simple.

His last 2 performances have been very good, similar (maybe even better) to the level he produced in his break through season. If he keeps it up, then he keeps his place in the team and deservedly so. If not, then he loses it and someone else comes in.

I’m confused as to why people are now angry that other fans doubted him, when he wasn’t a good player. Just enjoy it, him getting better and Everton winning games is what we all want.

That just isn't true.
Some people refuse to recognize when he plays well.
Fortunately the manager is not one of those.
He's making mugs of people like he did to City in his coming out game. Has always had this in him, but people have refused to see/acknowledge it, expecting him to produce 8/9 out of ten performances every week when he's a young player in a struggling team. Glad ppl are eating the humble pie he's serving. Hope he keeps it up.

I’m unsure where this “agenda” thing has come from. People didn’t like Davies playing cos he wasn’t good enough, we were a weaker side with him in it; it’s that simple.

His last 2 performances have been very good, similar (maybe even better) to the level he produced in his break through season. If he keeps it up, then he keeps his place in the team and deservedly so. If not, then he loses it and someone else comes in.

I’m confused as to why people are now angry that other fans doubted him, when he wasn’t a good player. Just enjoy it, him getting better and Everton winning games is what we all want.
I’m not one crying agenda but I think there were a bunch of people calling him out for dressing like a bellend basically so some have thought that’s why people took a dislike to him.

Personally, I like that he’s a bit of a weirdo and openly does whatever he wants and I love that he’s a born and bred blue, he just hasn’t played very well in recent years. He looked promising in his appearances this season ever since that game where he came on and covered right back and then the last two games he’s been one of our best players so long may that continue!

Why does it have to be either extreme? Manager seems to like him and pick him regularly enough and I reckon he knows a bit more about football than me (or any of you).

Wears blue and tries every time, good enough for me. He's relatively young, learning and improving and getting over two complete knob-head managers, who ruined his game. Cut the boys some bloody slack.
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Carlo picks him, one of the best managers in the World. I imagine Carlo knows what he is doing. BTW, He has been picked by 3 different managers before Carlo; they must've all seen something in Tom to continually select him. We should trust in the manager and his staff. Lets support the lad, not get too high when he's great or too disparaging when he isn't. If you can remember back to 83/84 Peter Reid was in his late 20s when we signed him. He didn't set the world on fire immediately but in season 84/85 he was players player of the year in England. The improvement in all our players, even the ones we don't like or rate is very noticeable. Tom is no exception. Imagine if he continues to improve, if Dom does, if Ben does, if Iwobi does plus all the older players and our younger players then we will have a great side. The 84 to 88 side didn't happen overnight. Take a look at Howards Way and see the similarities.

I think one thing is clear about Tom Davies and that is that he does care a lot about wearing the Blue shirt. Plenty on here have said he just does it for the money but I don't see that at all. Carlo is no mug. He has stuck with him and made him better, same with Siggs who looked fit for the scrap heap game after game. We are still a long way off where we want to be but we are seeing the majority of players improve under Carlo and that has to be a good thing. Even if it just increases their value when they do move on. But I can't understand the desire of so many on here to constantly slate players as being completely [Poor language removed]. None of them are, but playing in the best league in the World can make you look that way. Davies should have gone out on loan a few season ago and may well have benefitted from it but he didn't. Main thing is though is that Carlo sees something in him. I'd never presume to have the footballing knowledge that he does so can only hope he makes more good choices than bad ones, which so far he definitely has. He'll also strengthen us in the summer and many may get their wish and see the back of Davies, Siggs, Gomes, Bernard, Iwobi, Coleman etc. But if we don't then just keep supporting what Carlo is doing because it's better than anything else we've seen in god knows how many years!
My sentiment exactly

It's seemed like more of a personal agenda with him because he's not your usual boring footballer and has some character. If he wasn't skateboarding, wearing out there clothes and had a generic haircut, I'm sure he would have received far less abuse. A lot of the fans have been shameful in the way they have spoke about him.

He has had a poor last few years where his confidence looked shot not being able to pass a ball 5 yards and weak in the tackle. Criticism was justified and I'm sure he'd admit to that, but he never hid and always looked like he cared and tried. Looking the opposite now as he has a good manager in charge and hopefully he can get a good run of form. Seems Carlo has taken the responsibility off his shoulders and said to him to just enjoy his football.

It wasn't that City game alone where you could see he had a lot going for him either, some great assists and passing in general in that first season and you don't lose that. Great to see him back and long may it continue.
Agree, when he broke into the team first I remarked to my son that he was always trying to get forward and pass forward; that appeared to have been knocked out of him by lack of confidence or probably by abuse from our own fans. Look at what he does for charity. A well rounded young man.

Status
Not open for further replies.