2020/21 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go.along with Tom played ok when he came on. Nothing special but provided energy. Still my biggest reservation and I'd said it for a while he has very limited physical strength so when challenged he often loses the ball or falls over. It also makes him.hurry his passes
He needs to.learn off DCL who has improved his physical strength over the last couple of years.
Until Tom improved his physical strength he will be a very limited player.

He did really well today, came on and was that fresh pair of legs we so badly needed in the centre of the pitch. It was like against Leicester at Goodison last year, Ancelotti sent him on to simply mark the space in front of the box and nothing else, and surprisingly he did his task excellently just like he did today. Perhaps that's his role in a midfield finally figured out, the player whom comes on and just makes a nuisance of himself whenever we need a breather. Keita does it a lot for the RS, Fellaini too when he was at United (different build obviously). It's thankless job but most squads need an option who will do that stuff.

Yes, this. Composure, sobriety (if that's a thing on a football pitch), dedication to task. Everyone on this board was off-the-charts anxious in the last 25 minutes of that game. Our bazillion-dollar South Americans were all wilting (understandably to be fair), we couldn't get forward to save our lives, and Fulham (Fulham!) were pinning us back. Davies calmed things down.

No headless-chicken stuff here which has been maybe his biggest failing. Manned his post but also got forward to relieve some pressure. His attempted cross from the right to find his BFF in front of goal sailed ten feet over his head, but that's really the only misstep I remember.

He's done that a few times coming on at 75' or so. Maybe that's his ceiling? Regardless we don't get out of there with 3 points if he doesn't come on IMO.

Are Everton fans ok with mediocre ? Win nothing, get bossed about by all the big (and small as happened today) teams - bottom half of the table.

Answer Yes then great - keep Tom Davis, Sigs, Delph, Gomez and Bernard.

I am not happy with Mediocre

Watching the RS dismantle Leicester with about 4 fit senior players shows how far behind Everton are - so the bigger question I will ask if how many people have had an eye test in the last 2 or 3 years

At a stretch Everton have 5 maybe 6 players who would get into a matchday team of a top 6 side.

I have been to get my eyes tested
Their 'injury crisis' has be GREATLY exaggerated, NEA. Brendan Rodgers pretty much suggested the same after the match. They still had a back 4 containing Matip, Fabinho & Robertson with Allison behind them in sticks and apart from Curtis Jones they were all first team regulars.

Yes he did a job today, the bigger picture is Fulham are woeful, if we are dependent on Tom to nullify teams then god help us. If Gomez was any use he could have been playing - ditto to Delph and against a relegation bound team it speaks volumes of the lack of quality in the team

Everton were all over the shop in defence today and have been for ages, Coleman looks crocked so unless we sort out the back we will be in the same situation next week.

My team for Leeds

Holgate | Godfrey | Keane | Digne

Allan Doucoure
Iwobi

James DCL Richarlison
I don't think one person here thinks Davies warrants a start .... I think the concern that the reason that we need Tom Davies is that players who cost the club a combined fee of £70m and pull in £400k a week namely Gylfi, Gomes and Delph couldn't do what he did yesterday.

Slating Davies as not being good enough is like sitting in a tow truck whilst your Ferrari is being pulled along and moaning that the how truck is slow...... Davies at best is a squad player but is over utilised because the expensive misfits can't be trusted.

I'll go.along with Tom played ok when he came on. Nothing special but provided energy. Still my biggest reservation and I'd said it for a while he has very limited physical strength so when challenged he often loses the ball or falls over. It also makes him.hurry his passes
He needs to.learn off DCL who has improved his physical strength over the last couple of years.
Until Tom improved his physical strength he will be a very limited player.

I am not sure you really saw what he brought to the game yesterday.

Yes, he brought energy and was even involved in a couple of attacking moves, but really what he did was help shut down midfield at a time when we were being completely overrun. I could see no way that we were going to hang onto our lead, Davies gave us that extra body in midfield and gave an extra shield to the back four. Fulham created very little after he was brought on.. This was not all because of Tom Davies alone, we now had more midfielders which closed off Fulham, but Sigurdsson also came on and I didn't think he impacted the game at all.

Of course, there is room for improvement but he has done this a couple of times already this season and I a bit surprised we still see other picked ahead of him who seem to contribute less.

Yes, he brought energy and was even involved in a couple of attacking moves, but really what he did was help shut down midfield at a time when we were being completely overrun. I could see no way that we were going to hang onto our lead, Davies gave us that extra body in midfield and gave an extra shield to the back four. Fulham created very little after he was brought on.. This was not all because of Tom Davies alone, we now had more midfielders which closed off Fulham, but Sigurdsson also came on and I didn't think he impacted the game at all.

Of course, there is room for improvement but he has done this a couple of times already this season and I a bit surprised we still see other picked ahead of him who seem to contribute less.
After yesterday would certainly give him game time ahead of Siggy, but then again I’d pick myself (an overweight 39 year old with a dodgy ankle) over him.

He seemed to do well yesterday so can’t knock him for that, but Davies is a squad player at best for me. Maybe a loan to the Championship or a Fulham type club would be the making of him.

After yesterday would certainly give him game time ahead of Siggy, but then again I’d pick myself (an overweight 39 year old with a dodgy ankle) over him.

He seemed to do well yesterday so can’t knock him for that, but Davies is a squad player at best for me. Maybe a loan to the Championship or a Fulham type club would be the making of him.
I think that we would need to see him play maybe half a dozen games before we could fully make that judgement.
He has not really played that much in an Allan, Doucoure,Davies midfield but when he has he has done well.

I would like to see him start a couple of games and see how that goes.

I don't think one person here thinks Davies warrants a start .... I think the concern that the reason that we need Tom Davies is that players who cost the club a combined fee of £70m and pull in £400k a week namely Gylfi, Gomes and Delph couldn't do what he did yesterday.

Slating Davies as not being good enough is like sitting in a tow truck whilst your Ferrari is being pulled along and moaning that the how truck is slow...... Davies at best is a squad player but is over utilised because the expensive misfits can't be trusted.

This, really. He was vastly superior to anything Gylfi has done all season.

He was brought on to steady the midfield which he did. He did a great block,. Made a good run to the box when DCL got clear on the wing and win some important time wasting fouls. Not sure what I missed??
My comment was that Tom does not have the physicality for the premier League and when.challenged either goes over which sometimes draws a foul or just loses the ball. This lack of physicality also.makes him look slow.and ponderous on the ball and often misplacing his passes.
He did ok yesterday and helped steady a midfield that was looking very rocky. I like Tom and would love him to do well but I'm not going to go overboard. He has been in the team over 4 years and has not shown much improvement.

Yes, this. Composure, sobriety (if that's a thing on a football pitch), dedication to task. Everyone on this board was off-the-charts anxious in the last 25 minutes of that game. Our bazillion-dollar South Americans were all wilting (understandably to be fair), we couldn't get forward to save our lives, and Fulham (Fulham!) were pinning us back. Davies calmed things down.

No headless-chicken stuff here which has been maybe his biggest failing. Manned his post but also got forward to relieve some pressure. His attempted cross from the right to find his BFF in front of goal sailed ten feet over his head, but that's really the only misstep I remember.

He's done that a few times coming on at 75' or so. Maybe that's his ceiling?
Regardless we don't get out of there with 3 points if he doesn't come on IMO.
Indeed, a few good games as a sub is one thing, but it is about 2 years since he played a good 90 minutes.

He probably deserves a go in the midfield 3 along with Doucoure and Allan.... not that he's done loads to justify it but Gomes and SIgurdsson have been crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.