2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never really rated him. Came on against Arsenal and ran straight in to DCL knocking them both over, obviously not on the same wavelength on reading drills/ passages of play in the game. The only footballer I’ve heard of riding a skateboard around town, and kicking a ball around concert square, just asking for some divvy to give him stick. Ship him out until he’s shown some sort of potential on loan or just get rid all together

Players get better with age and we must remember how young Tom Davies is.
Gueye arrived at Everton as a 27 year old costing 7m and is now worth in the region of 30m. Tom Davies will continue to improve and will in time settle into a role that best suits his skills.
As with a lot of young players he can do everything reasonably well but maybe not enough very well...yet.

This is nowhere near a given. In fact a lot of players who burst onto the scene in the manner Davies did struggle to live up to that hype. Right now he´s stalling in his development.

It’s time for young Tom to step up. There’s a good chance he’ll get game time in the next three games, but he’s going to have to hit the ground running, no excuses about hasn’t started for a while . At 20 he doesn’t need to show he’s better than Gomes, he clearly isn’t , just that he’s a better option than Schneiderlin and McCarthy, particularly for next season. I’m a fan of Davies , but understand the reasoned criticism of him ( as opposed to the moronic “ get rid” stuff) , while he’s got time on his side to develop further he’s also got a fair number of PL minutes under his belt now, so time for him to step up a level.

He’s never really filled out has he, looks like he’s heading for the gym for the first time.

I like Tom, always a number 8, more energy, the honed craft, but has some quality.

He’s one in a bunch I see improving through good coaching.
There's a bit of a saying in the NHL when drafting kids, it's about whether they have gotten their "man strength" yet. 18-20 is usually when guys "fill out". I worked out constantly and played sports all year but couldn't do a pull up until I was 15. When I was 16 I did 25.

Some kids take longer than others to get stronger/bulk up. Like height, there is nothing they can do.

.... Would prefer him to start over Schneiderlin today. A Gueye-Schneiderlin midfield partnership would be a throwback to the Allardyce days.

At least Tom's instinct is to play it forward and be positive, let's hope it comes off!

Never really rated him. Came on against Arsenal and ran straight in to DCL knocking them both over, obviously not on the same wavelength on reading drills/ passages of play in the game. The only footballer I’ve heard of riding a skateboard around town, and kicking a ball around concert square, just asking for some divvy to give him stick. Ship him out until he’s shown some sort of potential on loan or just get rid all together
I on the otherhand think he will come good - maybe even today.

Gah. Unless snides just sits in front of the back 4 and gueye is box to box with siggy actually turning up and playing cam but even then it’s not great.

Tom has the energy, wind fouls and plays positively.

A player needs to play competitively under pressure at a top level to develop into a valuable asset. It's obvious he is well liked here and is part of our DNA going forward. Just worry he won't get enough game time to improve enough. Surely a loan may help him. I can see him being left behind as we grow. It's all good and well appearing in every community/charity video released by the club. He's filthy rich now and for what...Cmon Tom push on fella.

Status
Not open for further replies.