2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it, is it? He has had his chance and it's all over for him here by his twentieth birthday? Do you think there's perhaps some middle ground here, some shades of grey? Perhaps spend the season as a decent squad member and continue his development?

He’s not decent though and his development has been non existent. Keeping him round hoping that he develops into a good player is what we do too often. The lad isn’t good enough and we need to get rid.

I do worry about his long term future here, he doesn't really have any stand out talent in one particular area which makes it difficult to see where he will carve out a position. When he first burst onto the scene, he offered a balance to our team that the allowed the midfielders around him to thrive but that system we played under Koeman got found out and Davies has suffered most for it. I think the only place you can play Tom is in a midfield 3, he doesn't attack or defend well enough on his own to be played in a two.

I think a loan should be considered, for his sake more than anything. If doesn't play well again this season then that will be two seasons on the trot where he has underwhelmed, and it will be a very long way back into our first team, especially if we sign a top drawer central midfield player.

Needs to go out on loan - for me he is an attacking midfielder not a Gana type player.......[/QUOTE
I do worry about his long term future here, he doesn't really have any stand out talent in one particular area which makes it difficult to see where he will carve out a position. When he first burst onto the scene, he offered a balance to our team that the allowed the midfielders around him to thrive but that system we played under Koeman got found out and Davies has suffered most for it. I think the only place you can play Tom is in a midfield 3, he doesn't attack or defend well enough on his own to be played in a two.

I think a loan should be considered, for his sake more than anything. If doesn't play well again this season then that will be two seasons on the trot where he has underwhelmed, and it will be a very long way back into our first team, especially if we sign a top drawer central midfield player.

As far as I see it, he’ll never be a top midfielder in the premier league. Not technically proficient, not very athletic. Looks a League 1 or perhaps Championship player to me.

That's it, is it? He has had his chance and it's all over for him here by his twentieth birthday? Do you think there's perhaps some middle ground here, some shades of grey? Perhaps spend the season as a decent squad member and continue his development?

We’ re supposed to be in the business of winning trophies, not providing a living for mediocre Academy graduates.

As far as I see it, he’ll never be a top midfielder in the premier league. Not technically proficient, not very athletic. Looks a League 1 or perhaps Championship player to me.

I personally wouldn't go that far, I saw him score a goal against an excellent Man City team that no championship/league 1 midfielder could do in a million years, and he did this whilst he was 17(?) year old kid.

I do share your concerns about his long term aspirations at the top level though. He has been an Everton first team player for over 18 months now and I don't know what kind of midfield player he's supposed to be, and I know that he couldn't tell you either. That's the fault of the people who have been coaching him and not gearing him towards a specific role, but he also has to take some responsibility because after 18 months playing regularly in this league, he has not shown sufficient progression.

I hope he makes it, but it's completely up in the air at the moment.

Maybe we can let him be a young developing player this season and treat him like one rather than expecting him to be Zidane in a team of carthorses. Maybe with some actual coaching he’ll improve aspects of his game, slot more and more into the team overnthis season and the next with better players around him and by that point by the time he’s a similar age to Loftus Cheek et al he might be running the midfield of a top 6 team. Lingard Loftus Cheek Alli even Sterling all made huge improvements to their game in the years between 20 and 23. Apparently at Everton we don’t expect that from our players though so if you’re not Zidane when you’re 19 you can do one.

Status
Not open for further replies.