2018/19 Tom Davies

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it does whenever Lookman is playing, dpes t stop people from screaming for him day in amd day out.

People only called for Lookman to play when Walcott was our first choice RW, it was a fair shout as he was terrible.

Osman was on loan at Carlisle United at the same age.

Which is what Davies needs, as he isn’t good enough to play in the Prem.

Davies is ahead of where osman was at 20.

This isn’t a glowing endorsement at all, it’s also not true. Davies is equally as ineffective as what a 20 year old Leon Osman was. It’s just that Osman got loaned out.

People only called for Lookman to play when Walcott was our first choice RW, it was a fair shout as he was terrible.

Which is what Davies needs, as he isn’t good enough to play in the Prem.

This isn’t a glowing endorsement at all, it’s also not true. Davies is equally as ineffective as what a 20 year old Leon Osman was. It’s just that Osman got loaned out.

...not sure what the fascination is with wanting to loan our players out. In recent times I think there’s only Osman and Barkley who have come through the Academy, gone on loan and made over 50 appearances for the club.

Osman was a supremely gifted youngster who won an FA Youth Cup winners medal before suffering serious injuries. I’m not sure if you watched him, but I watched him lots and he was very effective. He was a little genius. Osman got loaned out because the club knew the talent, he just needed open-age games to catch up from the time out with injury.

Thinking back to those days, there’s very few young footballers I would mention to my pub pals on a Saturday, but Osman was one.

Last edited:
...not sure what the fascination is with wanting to loan our players out. In recent times I think there’s only Osman and Barkley who have come through the Academy, gone on loan and made over 50 appearances for the club.

Osman was a supremely gifted youngster who won an FA Youth Cup winners medal before suffering serious injuries. I’m not sure if you watched him, but I watched him lots and he was very effective. He was a little genius. Osman got loaned out because the club knew the talent, he just needed open-age games to catch up from the time out with injury.

Thinking back to those days, there’s very few young footballers I would mention to my pub pals on a Saturday, but Osman was one.

Loaning a player out gives them a chance to prove to their parent club if they’re going to make it or not, without effecting the first team. You can’t play every single young player and the U23s standard isn’t anywhere near the standard required for Premier League level. Plus it gives the club a chance to put a player in the shop window, same way Chelsea and Barca have with Zouma and Gomes.

Osman had some decent games, but over his whole career he was an average player at best. Nothing wrong with that by the way, he cost nothing and filled the squad. He’s shouldn’t have started nowhere near as many games as he did for us though, which is why we didn’t push on further as we had players like him in the XI.

On his day Osman was a brilliant footballer.

Probably the most under appreciated player of the last twenty years.
Shows how crap we are when people can perceive Osman’s tenure with us as “brilliant”. Christ we must’ve had some bad players.

With Davies' new contract, do you think he'll be on the senior squad next season or will regular playing time on loan to a lower PL team or somewhere else in Europe be the most beneficial?

Shows how crap we are when people can perceive Osman’s tenure with us as “brilliant”. Christ we must’ve had some bad players.

He scored 57 times for Everton. That's not to be sniffed at.

It was over a period of time when Everton were decent as well and he always started.

He has played around 70 games for a mid table premier league team so he obviously is good enough.
Im not so sure about that. In nearly 4 years he may well have played around 70 games but still nobody is quite sure what actually he is or what qualities he actually has. He is not a defensive midfielder as his tackling and positional play is not good enough, he is not an attacking midfielder as he gives the ball away too much (this may improve over time) he does'nt really score goals or create stuff, all he really does is run around a lot. Don't get me wrong, im not against him as a player i just don't see him as a midfielder, id actually like to make use of that engine of his and make him into a fullback if it was up to me.

Next season is make or break for Davies. I would not put money on him becoming a "top" i.e.regular 1st team choice. Probably the same as this season, lurking in the shadows.

He scored 57 times for Everton. That's not to be sniffed at.

It was over a period of time when Everton were decent as well and he always started.
And we would have been a hell of a lot better had he not been “one of the boys” and never started.

Status
Not open for further replies.