Tim Howard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andriy.EFC

Player Valuation: £8m
Has anyone else noticed that every time there is a shot that is close to him inside the box, he makes himself as small as possible by ducking. Costs us a few goals. He's done it against Arsenal and twice yesterday against SK Brann (When Fernandes lost the ball, and when they hit the post) - they should have scored at least one of those.

I know we have so many clean sheets but if we want to go all the way in the uefa cup we will absolutely not be able to afford these kind of mistakes.

I'm a bit worried about that.

im more concerned about his 'blinking' when distance shots are en route.

is the 'tick' costing him peripheral vision or focusing time?

I like Howard. I think he's proved over the last two season that there aren't many better in the Premier League. Obviously he's not perfect but no keeper is but he is consistent and more times than not does his job.

A snip at 3 million and at 28 he's only going to get better.

I like Howard. I think he's proved over the last two season that there aren't many better in the Premier League. Obviously he's not perfect but no keeper is but he is consistent and more times than not does his job.

A snip at 3 million and at 28 he's only going to get better.

Nevile Southall, the best there has been in the modern game

Spot on Monty,I dont have 100% confidence in Howard think hes been at fault over a few goals but on the other hand hes made some great saves would not put him in Southall or Martyn class,but streets ahead of Wright Simonsen ect

Spot on Monty,I dont have 100% confidence in Howard think hes been at fault over a few goals but on the other hand hes made some great saves would not put him in Southall or Martyn class,but streets ahead of Wright Simonsen ect

As Suits said earlier I get concerned when he seems rooted to the spot with long shots, it was a concern at Utd apparently

I think he'll progress like Friedel. He needs to develop an ability to anticipate and react to those moments when a defender doesn't do what is expected.

The more he plays at the international level, the better he'll be for Everton. In those situations, he'll gain plenty of experience overcoming dodgy defending.

Lay off the reefer!

What do you suggest Jackass? Bring back the glory days of Richard Wright? Tim Howard is one of the top three (that's right!) keepers in the EPL and it's high time Evertonians appreciate that fact lest we lose him. "He makes himself small", what the [Poor language removed] are you talking about? Isn't it about time to go pick up your welfare check you bum.

What do you suggest Jackass? Bring back the glory days of Richard Wright? Tim Howard is one of the top three (that's right!) keepers in the EPL and it's high time Evertonians appreciate that fact lest we lose him. "He makes himself small", what the [Poor language removed] are you talking about? Isn't it about time to go pick up your welfare check you bum.

relax you gung-ho cowboy ;)

Just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

i don't think he was trying to be mean by the original post, no need to resort to that kind of language. by makes himself small, i think he meant that he curls up a little bit, its a flinch, and my guess is its one that will go away with time. the teams staff analyze every detail of the game, i'm sure they'll bring that up with him, since it really was one he could have kept out.

at the same time, i'm a lot more confident with howard in goal than i feel most fans are with their keepers. our most recent alternatives, wright, turner, and wessels have all made mistakes that have cost us games. i'm not sure which arsenal goal you meant, but if u meant the one last season, that was simply bad wall placement and a cracker of a shot, nothing howard could do. i don't remember which specific one you mean if you mean one arsenal scored this year, but part of that may have been a lack of confidence after conceding the earlier goal.

the goal brann scored seemed to me that with all the bodies around he couldn't see the ball till it was too late, so he didn't have time to react. before lunging to stop a shot you have to tense up a bit, which will end up making your body smaller, had he timed it a split second differently he would have had it.

all in all, i don't see much reason for concern, he'll make mistakes, but he'll make far less mistakes than your average keeper. Fiorentina should be a good test for him, i expect Mutu will keep him busy.

I must say, I didnt notice this at first, but it was pointed out after the game when some guys were discussing it on TV. You cant actually put Howard completely at fault for the goal, if you watch carefully, it looks as though Jagielka is about to run past and kick the ball but then holds his foot back, maybe Howard expected him to clear it and when he suddenly didnt he had 0.5s to react.

Although there are quite a few things that I dont like about Howard, I think he can do a lot of improving. Good shot stopper and reliable during corners, etc., but I havent seen him pull off a one-on-one save and some other stuff could also be worked on.

He's our best keeper since Nev, who also made the odd mistake.I'd rate him higher than Martyn only for the fact of his agility and relatively young age for a goalie.As has been previously suggested, we're yet to see the very best of him but i'm always quite confident with Tim in goal, especially on set pieces, corners etc.He commands his box brilliantly and collects most crosses aimed into our six yard area,Martyn was a great keeper, but more of a shot stopper for me.

Last edited:
all in all, i don't see much reason for concern, he'll make mistakes, but he'll make far less mistakes than your average keeper. Fiorentina should be a good test for him, i expect Mutu will keep him busy.

if carsley can get mutu with a 'big daddy splash' then that should keep him quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.