Things we learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olsen needs to start. Pickford's resell value drops with every game. He is worse than Paul Gerrard, he isn't a young prospect anymore and I doubt he will get any better.

Gylfi Sigurdsson is an absolute car crash. We would be better off playing with 10 men. He reminds me of your mates arl fella who comes to play your 5-a-sides to make up the numbers.... neat on the ball and decent when it is playing at a relaxed pace, and you could tell he used to be a very good player... but time has taken his toll. Gylfi just lunges all game trying to get close to the ball, it's embarrassing. He isn't capable of playing in the premier league. We cannot press with him in the team because the space he occupies just allows the opposition to walk through. If Allan and Doucoure were in a 2 it would actually be better, they would have more area to cover, but they wouldnt look left and assume a blue shirt is covering, because Gylfi's "pace" over 5 yards is the worst I have ever seen on a football pitch... and I dont mean Goodison, I include Herron Eccles in this.

Holgate - looks good on the ball and in one-on-ones, but he lacks the intelligence to position himself correctly. We concede from crosses and through balls constantly when he plays, but to the untrained eye doesn't look like he is at fault. I don't get the hype around him, he is 4th choice for me, just ahead of Branthwaite.

Allan and Doucoure - great signings, but they seem affected by having a scarecrow beside them in midfield.

Iwobi - awful footballer that has no position or stand out quality. He did more defensively in 10 mins than Sigurdsson has done in 2020 however.

Gordon - no idea why he isnt getting minutes - seems Carlo took his speaking out badly. He should start on the right with Richarlison on the left and James in the middle. You can't say James wont contribute defensively, when Richardlison did as much defensively as Gylfi against Man U!!

James on the right has been sussed out by teams who are having all sorts of joy playing 2v1 against Coleman. This will continue

Doucoure/Allan are getting dragged out onto the right to help Coleman, leaving massive gaps in the middle.

We push forward but dont press the ball, so its easy for teams to counter.

Gyfi doesnt do anything

Pickford is still Pickford and still needs replacing

Our lack of pace on the pitch is killing us.

We are the slowest team in the league

We better hope we keep Richarlison fit for every game now otherwise we are screwed.

Any signings in Jan need to have pace.
This, this and thrice this!

Holgate - looks good on the ball and in one-on-ones, but he lacks the intelligence to position himself correctly. We concede from crosses and through balls constantly when he plays, but to the untrained eye doesn't look like he is at fault. I don't get the hype around him, he is 4th choice for me, just ahead of Branthwaite.
There's a lot of truth in this, and not just Holgate but Mina and Keane too. It often feels like if somebody hasn't made an absolute ricket then everybody comes on and says they played well, even when the defensive unit has been all over the place. None of them seem to be able to just play a steady role and dominate their opposite number.

As a defensive unit we definitely need to improve but still feel like our midfielders aren't creating enough and it might be fine when Richy is back but I very much doubt we will be keeping our front three fit all season and clearly the last three games we have been poor. Early days I know but so far not been that convinced with midfield

He's that bad I would rather play Davies than Sigurdsson, he's crap but it's not like Sigurdsson is adding anything to the team, playing him is literally like playing with 10 men he's that anonymous At least Davies would put a shift in.

I honestly thought he’s be a better option than gomes.. playing with richy and James .. but I was wrong ... badly wrong

Defence is so frail

Sigurdsson is a man down

Why is tosun coming on when we need creators really didn't get his introduction and he was so slow and poor on the ball
Pretty clear statement from Carlo to board that this is what I have to work with - get me more forwards

There's a lot of truth in this, and not just Holgate but Mina and Keane too. It often feels like if somebody hasn't made an absolute ricket then everybody comes on and says they played well, even when the defensive unit has been all over the place. None of them seem to be able to just play a steady role and dominate their opposite number.
I’m willing to forgive Holgate after being out injured and not having played with the players in front of him before.

It could have been used for 3 bang average prem players ... we decided to spend it on crap.
It could have been spent on about 4/5 dependable proven PL players who would have done a much better job, from lesser clubs. Unfortunately we look down on those type of players as they are not too good on Football Manager or FIFA.

It could have been spent on about 4/5 dependable proven PL players who would have done a much better job, from lesser clubs. Unfortunately we look down on those type of players as they are not too good on Football Manager or FIFA.

thing is siggy used to keep Swansea up every season and iwobi played for a cl regular team .. our scouting was just crap

We've learned that when our midfield get the ball, instead of turning on it and driving forward when the opportunity is there they just pass the ball back to the player they've received it from or at best go sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.