Things we learned

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've learned that when our midfield get the ball, instead of turning on it and driving forward when the opportunity is there they just pass the ball back to the player they've received it from or at best go sideways.
We have Allan and AD in midfield, and none of them are any box openers. Allan was Jorginho's security guard in Napoli. In defense we have Keane and Holgate, and neither of them is good with the ball. Think even Richard Gough was better with the ball than Keane. Back there again we have Pickford, who launches one rocket after another. So there are many passes backwards and sideways without purpose, until the ball comes to Pickford and he sends off a rocket.

thing is siggy used to keep Swansea up every season and iwobi played for a cl regular team .. our scouting was just crap
Perhaps Siggy kept Swansea up a) because he was 5 years younger, and b) because he had to. Today he plays in a much better team where he is not the only creator or worker so he just doesn't. the arrival of James seems to have helped others but seems to have been the nail in Siggy's slow demise. He was a top scorer when he first came here but now that would seem a million miles away from his capabilities.

So, last 3 games summed up:

1) It's too easy to close off right side/James with no attacking threat from left for pretty much any team in the PL now.
2) Allan/Douc can't have the midfield locked with Siggy there since it's 10v11 from start. Not having Richy track back doesn't help when you know our other winger ain't used to defensive tasks. So basically, 2 defensive holes on both wings and another one in midfield. Think that's too much for those two or anyone to cover.
3) Only 2 months till January transfer window, hopefully no injuries and stupid red cards again till we can buy some players for rotation. No matter how good the start of the season was, the team is 1 injury/suspension away from shambles.
4) A decision going Everton way never happening again this season after that VVD witch hunt.
5) Carlo is stubborn with his selection, but if you've watched AC Milan or any of his previous teams you'd know that already. Expect Siggy back next week.

Pretty good summary...and what can we learn from this ?

1. If only Coleman / James work as a combo, and Digne / Richarlison on the left, somehow we need an alternative. Nkounkou/Gordon together, and then if James is shut down at least those speedsters on the left are available?
2. I agree. I have a feeling that Ancelotti thinks that Siggy is the answer when James is off the pace / off form / marked out of the game. We definitely need an alternative to James, and I think usually that's Richarlison, but then also need one more creative force from midfield (not Siggy)
3. I wish we could promote younger players rather than crap established players - but then again Gomes/Delph/Siggy - slim pickings and I dont think Beni / Davies offer anything different.
4. That VVD witch hunt is incredible?!! and those RS all know and celebrate Robertson going out and hurting someone (James in this case) and VVD roughing up DCL = both tactics they were aiming for in the Derby. Its no secret!
5. Carlo is but is also calm. And maybe there's no choice.

Overall, the problems are:

Siggy , but no solution. Seems to be rotating Gomes and Siggy and can't decide
Back up - especially for Allan and Doucoure - Defense seems to be ok now - 8 players all equally adept at leaking goals!
Attackers - when DCL, James, Richy don't work, we have Gordon, Tosun ,Iwobi- bad state of affairs. Not sure Isco is the answer. Need a bit of pace and strength.

I don't know where else to post this, but we've also learned, maybe, about the type of fans we need to be.

I think we need to be totally supportive, defensive and aggressive -
Support our players unconditionally - especially younger ones, obvious stars, Ancelotti, and dont worry about team selection. I am not saying don't criticise, but somehow we don't seem to rally around our younger players. Why can't we support our players until they're sold or binned off. Its not our job to select the team
Defend our players against crap like what the RS pulled. Day 19 or whatever was Depay talking about it yesterday. WTH. WTF..W. T. A . F. Everyone knows that Robertson is out to rough up players - the RS joke about it - and he was 100% targeting James, and VVD was aiming to intimidate DCL. Of course they may not have been looking to deliberately injure them, but Pickford's was a crap foul, not a deliberate foul Did we do enough to counter the media circus around VVD? or is Carlo's approach better - calm, silent, authority. Still, it's true that it definitely influences referees. We will not get decisions, Pickford will be targeted by the officials, and we were out thought and psyched out by Liverpool. I wonder if we'll be dirty like this when we get better?
Aggressive - in the media, to the referees, to the opposition, we have lacked leadership. I have seen Coleman better this season, but Siggy is a crap captain. Coleman, Holgate, Mina, Allan, DCL and Richy seem like our captains, and I would always like one of them to be it officially, never Delph, Siggy

Luckily the birth of my baby boy coincided with the Derby and i didnt have to suffer the match, the ridiculous media attention etc and the defeats! But how stupid was it! Can we somehow all come together behind our players and support them no matter what?

Status
Not open for further replies.