2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is he being portrayed as being egotistic to decide that Everton might not be the best place to start his professional career?

We have a pretty poor record in recent years of developing academy talent and putting them in the first team. He's just spent a season, even two, of watching woefully underperforming players being played out of position rather than chances given to young players and a subs bench with two keepers and empty seats.

For a young player to see that and maybe think the next step of his career might be better served elsewhere isn't necessarily egotistic.

This might not be a case of Small thinking he should be starting games but seeing lots of young players slightly older than him hit a dead-end at Everton despite several players in the senior squad being clearly substandard. It's maybe not about being in the first team right now but seeing a path to the first team.

Because he's just decided not to show up for pre-season training.

Lad has an attitude problem. Unprofessional. End of discussion.

Because he's just decided not to show up for pre-season training.

Lad has an attitude problem. Unprofessional. End of discussion.
Exactly what it is. Imagine peoples reactions if Rodriguez or richarlison didn’t turn up for preseason, add onto that this kid is 16 and completely unproven and yet acts like he’s a superstar that can do whatever he likes.

Exactly what it is. Imagine peoples reactions if Rodriguez or richarlison didn’t turn up for preseason, add onto that this kid is 16 and completely unproven and yet acts like he’s a superstar that can do whatever he likes.

Exactly.

The issue isn't about ownership. It's about attitude. It's one thing if a superstar holds out. That's bargaining. It's a game of chicken to see who blinks first. The agent that tells the superstar to hold out is betting that the club will blink first.

It's a totally different situation when we're talking about an unproven sixteen-year-old.

Every time i see this fellas name i keep thinking about the bloke upfront for England in Mike Bassett called Rufus Smalls don't know why, anybody know if he can hit the side of a Renault Espace?

A schoolboy / scholar contract is complete different to a professionals. If they want to leave they have to just say they’re unhappy and they don’t want to come in any more. They’re free to go any where they want and it’s up to whoever they do choose to sign for to pay compensation.

It’s a bit more complicated than that in respect to…it must be there own decision, they have to give a reason, they can’t have been tapped up etc but in general terms, above is what it is and it goes on all the time.
We gain and lose players doing it regularly every season. It’s the way the new Academy system is set up. Normally cat 1 clubs are only too happy to exploit it. I expect he’s only here cause we “encouraged” him to do the same to thing West Brom.

As things stand, I think he will be out of contract anyway.

He will be skipping training based on advice from his agent, I doubt hes instigated it given hes only 16

He will be skipping training based on advice from his agent, I doubt hes instigated it given hes only 16
10, 11 & 12 year olds do the same thing and they generally don’t have agents. It’s written in your schoolboy contract what you have to do if you’re playing at the club your registered to.

We lost what would’ve been our best u16 this forthcoming season in a similar manner 4 years ago when he was u12.

Small will only be here because he did the same thing as he’s doing now 4 years or so ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.