2020/21 Thierry Small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be a good player but dont need him if this is his attitude to the club can leave. Will be other players to take his place

well they just lost a promising 16 yr old to man utd for what will be buttons
It’s the exact same situation we’ve had with Small. We’ll probably get
slightly less compensation than them due to the amount of time he’s been here.

A lot of players are moving this summer in a similar manner. Top players like Small are leaving clubs like Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal etc.

DCL
Stones
Holgate
Nkounkou and Branthwaite recently as well picked up for little outlay, both still to make it at PL level of course but good risk/ reward basis so far.

It would be foolish to deny Small has talent at 16 but as we know talent alone is not enough, and being strong and muscular at 16 allows you to compete , but sometimes that doesn’t translate as you get older and others catch up. I’m thinking of Reece Oxford when he was making his debut for WHU at 16 , their youngest player too , but never really lived up to expectations with them .
Apparently Aston Villa are in the frame for small.

Nkounkou and Branthwaite recently as well picked up for little outlay, both still to make it at PL level of course but good risk/ reward basis so far.

It would be foolish to deny Small has talent at 16 but as we know talent alone is not enough, and being strong and muscular at 16 allows you to compete , but sometimes that doesn’t translate as you get older and others catch up. I’m thinking of Reece Oxford when he was making his debut for WHU at 16 , their youngest player too , but never really lived up to expectations with them .

Yeh I didn't include those two just till they play a few more games for us. Still would make a profit on both though.

In general, my view is the younger a player is, the more volatility and risk there is. Even the likes of Giggs and Owen were not ready at 16 and came in at 17/18. Gerrard was being torn apart by David Ginola at 19. Lampard and Terry were still making their way. The player who was ready at 16 was Rooney, and you could see he was a superstar.

Small has lots of promise. You could well say he is our most promising player, but it is close. Dobbin & Welch run him close. Price, Heath and Metcalfe are also very well thought of.

In general, my view is the younger a player is, the more volatility and risk there is. Even the likes of Giggs and Owen were not ready at 16 and came in at 17/18. Gerrard was being torn apart by David Ginola at 19. Lampard and Terry were still making their way. The player who was ready at 16 was Rooney, and you could see he was a superstar.

Small has lots of promise. You could well say he is our most promising player, but it is close. Dobbin & Welch run him close. Price, Heath and Metcalfe are also very well thought of.
Only got to look at our next 3 youngest ever players to see its by no means a guarantee. Baxter, Vaughan and Bidwell must've combined for about 50 premier league games and mostly off the bench

Only got to look at our next 3 youngest ever players to see its by no means a guarantee. Baxter, Vaughan and Bidwell must've combined for about 50 premier league games and mostly off the bench

Bidwell probably only one you could say didn't succeed with us for football reasons and he's still had a great championship career.
off field issues and injuries done for the other two

Bidwell probably only one you could say didn't succeed with us for football reasons and he's still had a great championship career.
off field issues and injuries done for the other two
Off field issues and injuries are also a part of football though. Making your debut at 16 instead of 17, 18, 19 doesnt define your career. Our 10 youngest players are a real mixed bag over the span of their careers. Royle and Rooney the 2 clear successes and the best of the rest is Rodwell and Jeffers who's careers immediately nosedived after leaving us.

Thats it mate. There's a long way to go from 16. This might sound odd, but I think he has about as much chance of making it as Anthony Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.