Transfer Rumour Thiago Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% this. A winning mentality comes from walking onto the pitch knowing that if you play well you'll win. If you don't have the ability to back that up then it's just misplaced arrogance. The only way you can have a winning mentality across the team is by having good players who can realistically back themselves to win any given game.

The idea that someone with a winning mentality can just walk in and inject everyone else with their magic winning serum is ludicrous too. It has to be nurtured into people over a period of time. Having a “natural leader” for one season only is absolutely pointless.

Sucked into the malaise is a good point. I do think silva has the quality though.

and my point was more with people like Holgate in mind. He would benefit massively from having someone in the squad who had been there, done that.
Holgate will benefit massively from continuing to play. Bringing in a short term player who will take minutes away is not good for him, full stop. Make Silva a coach if we need a mentor for Mason.

I was thinking more alongside him to be honest. Silva and Holgate would be first choice imo.
I think in theory it could happen, but I'd be surprised if adding a CB to the squad didn't effect Holgate's minutes at all. Plus if we do sign someone like Gabriel too, you now have a logjam that includes someone who you'll feel you have to play and two young players who need minutes. I'd also argue it wouldn't be good to relegate Mina to bench duty for someone who is at best probably giving us two years. That pretty much ends his chances of making it.

The idea that someone with a winning mentality can just walk in and inject everyone else with their magic winning serum is ludicrous too. It has to be nurtured into people over a period of time. Having a “natural leader” for one season only is absolutely pointless.
Maybe if we were sat on 75 points right now and still in the cup and just needed that one piece to push us over the top it would have a point. But I'm pretty sure we aren't one piece from success.

I think in theory it could happen, but I'd be surprised if adding a CB to the squad didn't effect Holgate's minutes at all. Plus if we do sign someone like Gabriel too, you now have a logjam that includes someone who you'll feel you have to play and two young players who need minutes. I'd also argue it wouldn't be good to relegate Mina to bench duty for someone who is at best probably giving us two years. That pretty much ends his chances of making it.

I agree with this, but I genuinely see Holgate as having a very promising career as a DM, would love to see him given a good go. Has the pass, the tackle and the snarl to be a great DM. So if we get two good CBs in this off season, and ship Keane off we could potentially have three options (New Player 1, New Player 2 and Mina + Gibson, and Holgate as further cover).

I agree with this, but I genuinely see Holgate as having a very promising career as a DM, would love to see him given a good go. Has the pass, the tackle and the snarl to be a great DM. So if we get two good CBs in this off season, and ship Keane off we could potentially have three options (New Player 1, New Player 2 and Mina + Gibson, and Holgate as further cover).
I don't see this part of it myself, at all. Personally, I think he's nothing more than adequate on the ball when playing CB. Teams would press the crap out of him in midfield and it would fall apart rapidly. The games he played in the center this year were United and Leicester in the cup I think, and neither were occasions where we even pretended to be interested in passing through the middle. To me the stuff about Holgate with the ball has always been a bit of a myth among our supporters.

Consider this if you don't want Silva Mik keggers is about to go mono e mono to salad, ladyboy and manbearpants if that doesn't change your mind I give up

I don't agree.
We have a number of young players at the club, Kenny ? , Holgate, Davies, DCL ,Kean, Iwobi, Richarlison and Gordon spring immediately to mind.
I think they could learn a lot from an experienced professional who has been playing and leading at the highest level for over a decade.

I agree it won't happen overnight but you must start somewhere.

No idea if this is a jarg link as I never post links .. got sent to me earlier
C670AC1A-C12E-4852-9F39-26C11B11D1F5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.