The worst of times?

Is this the worst Everton era ever?

• Yes, this is the worst.

Votes: 64 35.0%
  • No, it's going to get even worse.

Votes: 97 53.0%
  • "We've had good times."

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Pineapple on cheese on toast on pizza, with a side of beans.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I am going to drink a gallon of whiskey and pretend it's 1970.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • All of the above.

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
It was the worst of times,
It was the age of foolishness
It was the epoch of incredulity
It was the season of darkness
It was the winter of despair
We had nothing before us
We were all heading direct the other way.
Everton 2/4/24

This is definitely the worst period since I've been watching (aged 32), probably the worst for most id imagine with everything going on

We've had terrible teams and no money before, if Walter Smith had been a bit worse we'd have been relegated. However we are a complete disaster from top to bottom at the moment, and it's hard to see a way forward because of that rather than anything else. Someone with half a clue how to run a football club could turn us into a solid mid-table team in 2 to 3 years, but I don't see that happening.

In the past the problems have been fixable (?) by changing players, formation or tactics. Not these days. There seems to be an illness within Everton as an operating organisation that means what happens outside of playing has an immediate impact on performances. Not just by standard or cost of player equalling a level of ability, but this massive black cloud that has hovered above us for 20+ years.
In all walks of working life rumours abound that determine the working environment and atmosphere. Everton is no different. It is miserable on the outside, imagine being on the inside?
The club is on the operating table needing major surgery to pull through.
We're sat in the waiting room with 'thoughts and prayers'. There's no consultant, the doctor thinks it's toothache and the nurses are on Instagram. Which is why it'll get worse.

So far, the premier league era has brought us:
Worst Everton in the history of Everton.
Worst refereeing in the history of refereeing.
Worst competition in the history of football competitions.

This is not so much a reaction to the abysmal state of Everton FC right now. Although having lived through more than six decades of supporting this team, recent events have driven me to write this rant of a thread about the current state of football things overall.

If you support any of the top six money clubs, then you may think this is the greatest of times, but the fact is, your success is built on the foundation of all those below you.
The Premier League is no more than a pyramid scheme (maybe it should be renamed the Pyramid League), whereby those at the bottom feed those at the top, leaving little left to feed the feeders. Such is the transfer market, where the poorer feeder clubs exist only to support the rich hoarder clubs. This inevitably condenses into not one football premier league, but a divisive league of two, the rich elite versus the "also rans". Meanwhile, we have over paid TV punters who like to proclaim, "the PL is the most competitive and entertaining football league in the world". Maybe it was once, for a season or two, but not any longer. The vast injection of cash from the live, worldwide television coverage has put a stop to that.

It is not even a sporting event. It has transformed from a local, real life experience, stadium of people event, into a worldwide, anonymous crowd of unseen observers event. It is nothing more than another television show, a show used primarily to sell us things we do not really need to buy. Meanwhile, the tribal rivalry element is manipulated to create a sort of tabloid sensationalism to drive up viewer numbers for the often titled "Big Game" or "Game of the season". Such games rarely live up to the hype.

But, that does not matter. The game is secondary to advertising banners. Clubs rely more and more these days on getting sponsorship deals than on player deals, (unless said player can bring in more attention to sponsors). Clubs seek revenue more so than trophies, although the two do walk hand in hand. The richest clubs in the world are valued in the the billions. they are no longer clubs, but brands. Players are no longer team members, they are "assets", to be traded much like shares on the stock exchange. According to fifa, the international transfer deals of 2023 hit a record $9.63 Billion. The top players themselves are millionaires. Seems there is an awful lot of money to be made from the simple game of footy. But is it still a game of football?

It is all about money. Of course, it always was to a certain extent, as any club will always need funds to exist. The problem is, money has now become the dominant factor in all things football. Clubs no longer play the game of football to win trophies, they compete financially, like mega corporations intent on the further enrichment of their billionaire owners and investors. It is much like the board game Monoloply, where the object is to dominate the board and drive all others into bankruptcy. It is a game that Everton have not played well. Through bad investments, poor recruitment choices and overall business mismanagement, we have fallen down the pyramid and been left to scratch out an existence amongst the other "also rans". We blew our chance of eating at the big buffet. The cost of getting even close to tasting any of that gourmet fair again will need serious capital. The sort of money that only an oligarchy or rich oil state could afford. A cost that is far out of reach of the majority of clubs.

As we all know, where there is money, there is corruption. The more the money, the more the corruption. Right? Those clubs that play on the periphery of the big money clubs can only look upon these self proclaimed elite as existing on some kind of exotic paradise island, cut off from the rest of the "ordinary" league. The Premier League has become a sort of banana republic. An organization that appears to aim solely to sustain the status quo. For it appears, from the outside looking in, to be "owned" by those at the top of the pyramid. There is a bias observed in every game. We all see it, sometimes subtle, sometimes blatant. Despite the momentary blip that was Leicester, the pyramid remains intact, unthreatened and reinforced by rules designed to maintain the present structure. Once the rules for "fair play" and financial responsibility were imposed, the goal posts where quickly shifted, so as to close the gate to "paradise island" and keep all those "smaller clubs" on the outside in check. God forbid any who presume to challenge this.

Of course, this wall of words is just the opinion of an old fan of a team he has supported and followed since childhood. I have seen the good the bad and the ugly. I have seen the holy trinity of the school of science, kissed the league cup, travelled to Wembley to see victory and defeat. I have sat in a two thirds empty Goodison, on a freezing cold November night, enduring the mediocrity of a Mike Walker team. And yet nothing, absolutely nothing could compare to the slow drowning of not just our beloved team, but also the game we have all grown up with.

I have no answer as to what is next for the game. I cannot even say I am a true fan anymore, as I no longer have my season ticket, or even live close to the ground. My opinion, therefore is coming from afar these days. My career in the mid 90's took me to the States and so I have become one of those ultra-wool expat, anonymous observers of the game on the box or streaming. Nevertheless, Everton still matter to me, football (they call it soccer here), still matters to me. The question is, does it matter to those in charge, or has it just become a temporary cash cow, that will evaporate once another outlet for the billionaires is found?

Maybe it does not matter what happens with the professional game. Kids will still enjoy kicking a bladder of air around and people will still enjoy the competition of that. I do not know the future. All I know and feel now is that this is the worst of times for the game.

What do you all think?

I agree with everything that you`ve so eloquently written there.

This is the first season that I haven`t been to a match - what`s the point ?

The only footy I`ve watched for months, is the EFL highlights on Quest, as I like Colin Murray, he really knows his stuff and you can see how much he loves the lower leagues.

If it wasn`t for this place, the only part Everton would play in my life, would be to check my phone to see what score we lost by.

For what it's worth, I agree with all of that.

The fact that the league itself is trying to relegate the club - and keep others in their place stinks so much that it's gone beyond the dodgy referees to something so blatant - a very British corruption - boring and technical but effective.

The clubs are either 'global' or they aren't - there is no such thing a successful British club anymore.

The slow death of the FA cup signalled it - the only really British competition left - where all parts of the country compete.

Nothing lasts forever and perhaps this global league is a natural progression.

But the PL is something apart from the country now - the UK is just a venue with a lot of (too) loyal customers.

I can't be bothered to watch it now - but I'll still try to get to Everton games when I can and hope that the stadium establishes itself in the city - after all, that is what Everton represents right ? a part of the city ? It's easy to forget.

Yes it is the worst of times, when we awful in the past there was some innocence to it. We had average players who mostly tried their best and it was mostly not good enough. They were honest players with flaws. When we were under Moyes he signed decent players inbetween 2006/2008 and we were enjoyable to watch. Unlucky to lose semi final against Chelsea and we simply lost to a much better Chelsea side in the final. Perhaps it was naivety but I always had hope we might get result in a game. TBF to Moyes we nearly beat Arsenal in 2010 at the Emirates and we got that disallowed goal at Anfield. Had we had Lukaku in 2012/2013 we would of finished top 4. Going to games was enjoyable, you didn't have the over the top coverage you do know. And it was interesting seeing English sides play against teams you didnt know about. Only Liverpool, Arsenal and United had tourist fans. When Moyes lost Semi Final to RS, that caused me to lose a lot of love for Everton, because it was our mentality that caused it, a losers mentality. It's just not enjoyable anymore, watching overpaid average players who don't give a damm. We had a chance to challenge Liverpool, but we wasted money, nobody with any knowledge of game would have signed Klassen, Sigs Rooney and Sandro. We could of got Dzeko to replace Lukaku or Dembele from Celtic. What type of morons would sell our main goal scorer and not replace him. I was never an expert on Kenwrights wrong doings just viewed him as a closet RS. Now we are screwed as a club the game is as boring as it can possibly be. Ridiculous amounts of stoppage time, so big teams can get last minute goals, such as when they added 10 minutes on against Newcastle. Awful pundits such as Carragher, Micah Richards, Sturridge, Alex Scott, Rednapp, Sutton, Savage pointing out the obvious. Kate Abdo trying to be one of the boys with Spitty, Henry and Micah Richards is just another Molly Qerim waiting to happen. Melissa Reddy treating Klopp leaving as more important than thousands of Ukranians dying. It's just become too Americanized for me fake arguments for clickbait, it's just not enjoyable anymore.

b9fd90b72c428dfe023933ad527862da.gif
after the money's gone!
regrettably not just once in a lifetime for us though.