The Wall - stick or twist?

What should our back four be from now on?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deco

Player Valuation: £40m
The wall of Godfrey, Keane, Mina and Holgate is brilliant isn’t it? Teams literally can’t get past them.

Attacking wise we’re less dynamic though, and with Digne and Coleman both back Carlo has a decision to make.

What’s the general view on this?

Personally I think 352 should be the way forward now Iwobi has looked settled as a RWB and Richarlison is looking useless not being in the centre

Olsen
Keane Mina Godfrey
Iwobi Allan Doucoure Digne
James
DCL Richarlison

Think that side brings out the best in a few players.

Stick. Teams that don’t concede many win games (as we’ve seen). We’re not good enough to play any other way unless we have a fully fit and in form first 11 to play the way we did v Spurs. Gomes Richarlison and Coleman have fallen off a cliff form wise though. If any player is missing then the backup coming in makes the system untenable. Playing with the wall in a 4231 with Allan and Docuoure ahead of the back 4 means James can play 10 and we’re not going to concede many at all. We’ll win a lot of games that way.

We can't play with two fullbacks who don't offer anything in attack forever, It's good against certain teams or if you wanna sure things up but it's not sustainable for European wannabes like us, We need a new RB and Digne back at LB soon as we can.

Personally I think 352 should be the way forward now Iwobi has looked settled as a RWB and Richarlison is looking useless not being in the centre

Olsen
Keane Mina Godfrey
Iwobi Allan Doucoure Digne
James
DCL Richarlison

Think that side brings out the best in a few players.

I don’t think any of our centrebacks can play in a back 3. Not good enough footballers. You need pace and poise to play in the back 3. We don’t have that.

I don’t think any of our centrebacks can play in a back 3. Not good enough footballers. You need pace and poise to play in the back 3. We don’t have that.

Didnt think so myself but I suppose thats where good coaching comes into it over the course of months rather than just binning it off after 1-2 games.

The wall of Godfrey, Keane, Mina and Holgate is brilliant isn’t it? Teams literally can’t get past them.

Attacking wise we’re less dynamic though, and with Digne and Coleman both back Carlo has a decision to make.

What’s the general view on this?

Keep it. Once we add in Allan and Doucoure then we'll be impregnable and more effective in transitions ;)

Godfrey fits the mould and Holgate has been very good as a RCB in a 3 before.

Status
Not open for further replies.