The Sunday Sermon ; Graeme Sharp .

Status
Not open for further replies.

little curly alan ball

Player Valuation: £70m
For those in Helmand Province , Afghanistan generally , or otherwise Serving their Country when they could be at home with the families .

Stay Safe Peoples .... THAT , is a Goddamn' ORDER ...!!!

For My Mother My World , L.C.A.Barb , Me Aunty Do' , an' My Mate , Peter , lid .

L.C.A.Babe ; I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sorry , kid .

..An' all My Peoples in The Struggle .... It's Ya' Boi , D .

May the Good Lord be with you all .

Welcome , everyone to our little corner of the Sabbath .

Being utterly honest , I really did NOT feel like composing this Sermon . Swear to God .
I have procrastinated in the hope that an excuse would present itself , an' I could do what I wanted to do all along , an' sack it . Nevertheless , while I have awoken this morning , with no more enthusiasm than yesterday , I did consider the subject of the piece . See , this man is a veritable Everton Legend . An' while he is familiar to us now as a Commentator / Pundit on all things St. Domingo , when he was playing , he was often referred to as the " Second " Striker in any partnership - Gray , Lineker , Cottee in particular . Despite this , he is the second highest Everton Goalscorer of ALL TIME , and THE best Post-War . In 11 years at Goodison , he never once gave anything less than 100% , and went away , only to return having left the Professional Game for good , and where he remains , now as the primary Everton Media Pundit , and attends just about every game , home and away , to this day .

Ladies and Gentlemen , may I assume the honour of introducing , Graeme Sharp ...

Graeme Marshall Sharp , was brought into the World , on October 16 , 1960 , in the Glasgow Suburb of Cardowen , into a Rangers following Family . The kid was a mad football fan ,and had ability himself . Indeed , he signed for Eastercraigs , a local amateur club of some repute , against the express wishes of his School . Sharpy stood his ground , feeling that Eastercraigs were better for his development . In the event , the School relented and came , basically , Cap-in-Hand , as they reached the Final of the Scottish Schools Knockout Cup . The game was played at Lesser Hampden - adjacent to the Main Stadium , and Graeme Sharp scored a hat-trick as his Alama Mater lifted the trophy . Bravo , Sharpy , lid . Whilst at Eastercraigs some of his team mates were Bernie Slaven , Middlesborough / Eire ; Mojo , of this Parish an' Scotland ; an' John Hannah , the Actor , he of , Sliding Doors / Four Weddings and a Funeral infamy .

From there , despite interest from his boyhood team , the Glasgow Huns , after the experiences of his brother , Richard - Sharpy reckons he had more natural talent ; whom was left to rot in the Club's reserves , he and his main advisor , his Dad , went to talk to Dumbarton . He agreed and was signed on a 2 year , Semi-Pro' deal . He would remain there for the 2 seasons , playing 40 games and scoring 18 goals . It took no time at all really for his name to began to be linked with other teams . Graeme had already spent a week at Aston Villa whilst still at Eastercraigs . To say he didn't enjoy it is understatement . Then , whilst at Dumbarton he was invited up to Aberdeen for a week to see if both sides fit , as it were . The side included Willie Miller , Jim Leighton , Neale Cooper . Alex Ferguson was of course the Manager . Indeed , Sir Taggart used to pick young Sharpy Lid up each morning for training . Moreover , he found out later that Aberdeen had not only liked him , but sufficiently enough to make an offer , but nothing was to come of it . He also returned to Aston Villa , with Dumbarton's permission of course , and this time enjoyed himself far more . Nevertheless , while he felt he had done well enough , being amongst the First-Team lads , nothing was to come of it . A week later , Graeme scored in his side's 1-2 defeat at Arbroath . The following morning he was called into his Manager , Davie Wilson's Office . " Gordon Lee has been on the phone . Everton want to talk to you ..."

Everton FC , if you don't mind , did indeed want to talk to him . Lee explained that Harry Cooke our Chief Scout for many a long year , had seen him on various occasions and reported back to Mr. Lee . He himself , had liked what he had heard and later , saw , and after inviting Sharpy and his Family down to Bellefield and then Goodison , offered him a Contract there and then . It was duly signed . There was some fall out on the deal though , as Ron Saunders , the Aston Vila Manager kicked up a public fuss over the transfer , claiming to have been gazzumped by Everton and treated with disrespect by Dumbarton . His point being , they had shook hands , figuratively speaking on a deal , whereupon the Scots Side duly received and accepted a better offer . All's fair in Love and War ... AND on Gates of 2,000 per week ,..

Thus , in March 1980 , Graeme Sharp became a player for Everton Football Club , albeit with one final nail-biting two days as he failed his initial medical due to a Heart murmour . Remember , this was 1980 , not Technologically on the same planet as today . Thus , he had a stressful 48 hours before getting the all clear . Mind you , it didn't sort his workaday problems out though . Despite costing £125,000 , his age meant at the Old Bellefield Training Complex - where the Dressing Rooms were split into First Team Squad , and Youth Players ; Our Graeme was in with the kids . These kids btw , were Joe McBride , Fuk Off McMahon , Brian Burrows , Paul Lodge ... Them , he could deal with . It was the First Team Big Boys that were his issue .
In what , to my mind was perhaps the most Un-Everton , Everton side ever in my lifetime , Lyons and Latchford were still there , but also Kidd , Eastoe , Stanley , Gidman , and someone Sharpy had watched for Scotland at Hampden Park , Asa Hartford . He doubted his own ability but thankfully saw it through . He was called up by Gordon Lee in an end of season away game at the Goldstone Ground , Brighton and Hove Albion . He was made Sub' - there was but one in those days , and would come on for the Legend of an Everton Centre Forward that was Bob Latchford in a 0-0 draw . The most remarkable thing of the whole afternoon was , upon his introduction , and with the ball elsewhere , Suddaby , their Centre Half , gives Sharpy a ," Welcome to the Big Leagues .." , Clout around the side of his head ... Welcome , indeed . The week after , we played our final game of the Campaign at the City Ground , Nottingham . We lost the game 0-1 , but Graeme was picked ahead of Bob Latchford , as Lee checked out the goods .

In truth , the following season , 1980/81 was no improvement for Sharpy . His ability was not in question . However , his mental state was , and this was not helped by a large helping of homesickness . He began the season well enough , chosen in the first game . Away , before the Famous , Roker Roar , at Sunderland , as we lost 1-3 . That would be it , until , with the side struggling near the botom of the league , and in retrospect , crying out for an injection of youth , he was re-introduced into to the First Team and was chosen as Sub' , for a game at Goodison with Middlesborough the opposition in March . We won 4-1 , and he came on for Garry Stanley . The following home game , Stoke City , he was chosen to start . Alas , Inchy , Adrian Heath , scored the winner but still played for the opposition at the time . The Manager was on borrowed time , and Cat-Calls , of , " Lee Out ..." accompanied Sharpy's exit from First Team action for that season . He went , and was quite happy to do so , back to Colin Harvey and the Reserves where , though it was a hard regime , Colin was making him into a proper Centre Forward . He wasn't there yet . He finished his second Everton Season with an aggregate appearances of 3 , and goals 0 , as the side finished in 15th place , and- in May 1981 as Gordon Lee was relieved of the Manager's role . He was replaced by Ex-Evertonian and member of The Holy Trinity - along with Colin Harvey , and of course , Bally ; Howard Kendall , as Graeme Sharp's and Everton Football Club's luck was about to change for the better .....

Howard Kendall made the Statement of Everton Manager Statements as , when upon taking up office bought 7 new players , his , Magnificent 7 . Jim Arnold and Neville Southall , both Goalkeepers , Mike Walsh , Bolton's Grafter Centre Half , Alan Ainscow from Birmingham , a wide midfield player . Mickey Thomas , Ex- of Wrexham and now of Chelsea , and 2 Forwards . Mick Ferguson , Abel Xavier aside , our last Bearded Player , off the top of me head , and Rod Stewart-alike Alan Biley from Derby County . Didn't exactly fill young Sharpy with the Joys of Summer , as it was then . Looking back at the Staff Roster today , it is blindingly obvious what Kendall's problems were at the time . Players like Trevor Ross , Eamon O'keefe , no disrespect to either , were a throw-back to the , Bad Old Days , but Fuk Off McMahon , Irvine , Mark Higgins , Gary Stevens , Ratters , were not quite ready yet .

Graeme Sharp would come on as a Substitute at Stoke City away in a 1-3 defeat , and again - in another loss , this time at home to Man' City . He eventually got a start in the Away fixture at Meadow Lane , Nottingham , home of the World's oldest football club , Notts County . Ironically , Kendall himself played the first of his 4 First Team games that season . Sharpy scored his first Everton goal this day , a 20 yarder - deflected , mind , as we drew 2's each . He kept his place for an unlucky defeat at Up'a De Arse , and the week after grabbed his initial Goodison goal , a header past , Never-Say-Dai , Davies . Indeed , their side of Garry Stanley , Neil Robinson , and of course , Bob Latchford and also a smattering of RS and Welsh Internationals was familiar to us . So , now he's off and running . Having came into the side for an injured Mick Ferguson , and been second striker to Alan Biley , he had , within months , saw them both off and was now largely , Everton First Choice Centre Forward .
However , the goal that really marked him out , well , until Grey Skull 1984 , was to be the one against Tottenham in November 1981 . I was with my very good amigo , Mouser Mc , in His House - The Enclosure - mine being the , now bricked-up , Park End . Anyway , its freezing . It always was . We are kicking towards the Park End goal . Clemence has swerved work as a stand in for a 6ft tall Pick Axe for the day to keep goal for Spurs . Ball drops to our young forward somewhere down City Rd . He cracks it , on the volley , very , very Anfield Road goal-esque of a couple of years later .It fizzes like a Exocet into the top left hand corner as we look . Clemence , even with that nose , was some Goalie , an' never stood a chance . If you ever see this again , watch the Keeper's body shape as it pings past him . He hasn't even reached his optimum position . It was just too quick for him . An' he was Clemence ,... Anyway , place goes OFF . Sharpy unveiles that mad-arse , running but with no idea what to do when he gets there , celebration for the first time , and he was kinda REALLY off and running now ,.. A short time later , Howard Kendall went back to his old club , Stoke City and basically , stole their family silver . Well, if you count breaking our transfer record at £800,000 as stealing like , as he brought Adrian , Inchy , Heath to Goodison Park . It was to be a fortunate purchase , for Kendall , For Inchy , For Everton Football Club and also for Graeme Sharp . From their first game together until the campaign's end , Inchy got 6 goals , Sharpy got 11 . We finish in a laudable 8th position as we all began to recognise , The Green Shoots Of Recovery , but would prefer our Manager not to have to acually play games for the First Team , if at all possible . Sharpy finishes with 15 goals from 27 starts and if he can maintain that sort of ratio of any decent period of time , we're , In Like Flynn , as they say ,...

Season 1982/83 began with a 0-2 defeat at Watford . However , normal service was resumed with two thumping Goodison victories . The first a 5-0 over Aton Vila , with both Sharpy and Inchy - bought ostensibly as a midfielder but now a genuine forward , grabbing 2 each , and a 3-1 over Tottenham . Though , 2 draws and 3 defeats in the next 5 games told HK that the painting was far from complete . He had recruited Ex- Blues , Andy Is Our King , Kevin Sheedy and RS Tawt David Johnson from the Bealzebubs Stiffs , guiding the young pups . Thing was , we needed something extra .
The day after Bonfire Night , November 6th 1982 will live long in the memory of all Evertonians , Players , Staff and Fans . Not in a good way .
In the week leading up to the fixture , HK , recognising the problems I mentioned above ,allied to an injury to Higgins , drafted in a Centre Half on loan , Glenn Keeley from his old club , Blackburn Rovers . I seem to recall Kendall had briefly managed him , but I may be mistaken on that . Anyway , Keeley is chosen in the starting line up . They are attacking the Street End goal . Once more , Me Boi , Mouser has convinced me of the delights - NOT , of the Enclosure . Not really my style like , but I've got a Mouthy Arse RS - Quelle Fukn Surprise ; next to me . He starts giving it the Big One . Buzzing off us . I says . You might change your fukn tune when this crowd of kids kicks your Ugly Arses , eh , Bollox ??? He says . Do ya' wanna tenna on it , Blue Nose ??? Yes I fukn do , you scare the kids Mufuka . Yes I do . Thus , bet taken .
We kicks off , an' from what I can recall , we don't touch the ball for 10 min . In fact , I think The Homosexual just had it for himself the whole time . Anyway , about that long in , 10 mins or so in , Homo #1 , recieves pass . Puts Big Arse for such a Dwarf , out , knocks ball back to midfielder who wall-passes back to him . He spins off and is goooooonne . Our new found stopper , instead of reading the move is turning like the Q.E.2 . He faces the Gwladys Street in just enough time to grab the back of the Incomprehensible One's shirt as it disappears towards Aintree . Strrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeettttcccchhhes it back ... Ref' blows up . It is the first year of the Yellow / Red Card experiment . Keeley recieves our First Red Card as he is in and out of Everton's History within a quarter of an hour and we are a man down to the League Champions . The upshot was of course , they ran riot . The Homosexual was supreme . The Nose got the plaudits with his ... Splutter ... Chokes ... 4 goals ... OMFG , even Lawrenson got one - ran from the halfway line to do it , too . He tells me about it regular . It was 4-0 at Half Time - when I threw me tenner at the RS Mufuka . I can still hear his derision . Talk about Trauma ...??? Oh , it was traumatic all right . Beyond it in fact . I stayed until the end . As did Mc , slobbering and mumbling the two of us I think . If I never feel another day like that it will be TOO FUKN SOON ,....
We went on to three consecutive draws - 2 of which against Arsenal , before an exit at Highbury in the League Cup , as we were all still proper traumatised . We waited a further 3 games for a win , at home to Ipswich , in the game Alan Brazil says was the loudest he ever heard in English Football , a 2-0 win . It was coming together , we could all see that . Southall had been M.O.M. against the RS believe it or not . Sharpy , Inchy , Shaggy Stevens , Ratters , Richo , Fuk Off McMahon .... Definite progress from 3 years earlier . However , we needed a little more . HK acted . Purchasing injury prone once prospect and declared RS , Peter Reid from Bolton . He failed to make a immediate impression however , and did not calm our troubled waters . Meanwhile , Graeme Sharp was having his first barren run in front of goal , and despite HK lauding his general work for the side , he was eventually dropped for a couple of games after a return of 3 goals in 22 games .

Our League Form continued with 2 good , two indifferent results / performanes , but in the Cup , finally we gave it a go . Wins over , after a replay , Newport , Shrewsbury and Spurs , Sharpy scoring the second in a 2-0 win , saw us unluckily draw Manchester United at Old Trafford . I've said this before , but this was the finest Everton Away Firm I've ever seen . Numbers and everything else wise . Not many didn't turn out for this one , like . We are amazingly unlucky not to score in the first half as both Sharpy and Alan Irvine , whom has a blinder , prosper . Fuk Off McMahon runs the midfield and we are well in the game , indeed , look to be hanging on for a replay , 92nd minute . That was until they bring on 5 ft 2" Lou Macari . They get a free kick , which is launched into our box . Macari somehow wins the header , nods back to Stapleton whom rifles , with his swinger , past Jim Arnold , and into the Stretford End goal . We were out . Devastated didn't quite say it . Again .
A Grey Skull nils each , and another Arsenal defeat , as Kendall brought in Terry Curran on loan from Sheffield Wednesday , but otherwise our domestic form rallied . 6 wins from the last 10 games , the last a 5-1 victory at David Evan's I.D. Card Test Case , Luton Town , as Sharpy Lid grabs 2 . We ended up in 7th position , a place better than a year previously , and given our Derby Nightmare plus the Old Trafford debacle , was bloody good going . Therefore , definite progress then . Irrespective of individual fuk ups . Graeme Sharp plays 39 games from the start , with 2 as a Sub' , scoring 15 goals .

The summer of 1983/84 was a strange one for this Blue anyway . I've said before in these Halls that the sale of Fuk Off McMahon sought to raise more than an eyebrow in our house . Nevertheless , in retrospect , we ought to have trusted in Howard as he already had Peter Reid up his sleeve and spent the Fuk Off McMahon dough wisely ,...Terry Curran was eventually , finally permanently signed - though in truth , never reproduced his On - Loan form . Moreover , the purchase of Trevor Steven was the real transfer business of the Summer . Most of us had seen him in Burnley's League Cup run the year before , and he had played well at Grey Skull in the two-legged Semi . Moreover , we had beaten the Bealzebubs an' the Homosexual in luring this patently talented kid to us before the Dark Side , for an admittedly , costly for a youngster , £300,000 . Definite positive start there ,..
The season proper began with a win over Stoke City at The Old Lady , 1-0 , with Sharp's netting the strike . 2 draws and 2 defeats until Reidy finally was fit enough to play and did do , an' amazingly scored too , in a 2-1 win at White Hart Lane . Three wins , 2 losses an' it was off the Grey Skull . Safe to say , another traumatic hiding ensued . This time 3-0 , an' our backsides so sore we couldn't sit down until Christmas ,.. So , once more , we dust ourselves down and go again . 2 wins , two losses a draw , 2 more wins ... Like that . Still , Howard still knew it wasn't the finished article . He therefore goes out and purchases another Arl Arse supposed Crock , Andy Gray from Wolves as he finally admits defeat on RS Tawt Johnson .
It was just the fillip the side needed as Gray came in , bonded with Reidy in the Dressing Room an' Sharpy on the pitch . We avenge last year's F.A. Cup exit by beating United 1-0 , then beat West Ham in the quarter final of this year's trophy . The week after , Gray gets his first Everton goal , an equaliser against , of all teams Aston Villa . 2 defeats , two draws ,.. Then , as the New Year arrived we beat Birmingham at home , 2-0 , before beating Stoke twice in a week , away in the Cup and at Goodison in the Championship . The next game was Oxford United at the Manor Ground . The so called, Turning Point game . I have covered this match in these pages previously so won't do that today . Suffice to say , the side was utterly bereft of confidence . Totally . I saw this game an' to my , admittedly clouded recollection , they were the better side . That fukn ground . That pitch . We didn't really fancy it in truth . Nevertheless , Inch High Private Eye sorts us with a superb piece of anticipation an' old fashioned clinical finishing and we grab a draw. Talk about a close one !!!
We get them back to the Old Lady and trounce them . Sharpy grabs one of our 4 goals . Three games against Gillingham and an Inchy hat-trick versus Notts County saw us stagger , more than anything , onwards . A draw , 2 more wins , one in the first leg of the League Cup Semi Final against Villa , and Shrewsbury were despacthed in the other Cup competition . The wheels began , albeit slowly , jerkily an' ohhhhh so reluctantly , to turn . Momentum appeared from over the horizon . We were on the beginnings of a roll ,.... One thing that is often overlooked when people ruminate as to the relevant factors in our Pheonix like rise from the ashes , in the promotion of Colin Harvey to First Team Coach . This is no disrespect to the late Mick Heaton , but The White Pele was The White Pele . His name alone resonated . Moreover , he was among , is not was , the finest Man-To-Man Coach in the First Division . Howard Kendall saw this . Also , Colin had personally brought through all of the homegrown kids who now made up the backbone of the side . It was Win / Win .. Win / Win .. Win / Win ..

We go to Vanila Park on the Wednesday and lose 0-1 but knock them out and are Wembley Bound for the first time in 7 years . I kinda remember it being played down , tbh . Not by us of course , but generally . In the Media an' that . Dunno , perhaps it's me whose view is twisted with time , but I don't think so . No matter . The Road goes ever on , an' all that ,... a 4-4 with Watford - Sharpy gets 2 . A home draw with the Lucifers - Mooncat - Harper ; scores his only Derby goal . Then it was on to Wembley to face our Nemesis , the RS . Again , I have covered this day in other Sermons , but suffice to say , we ALL turn out . Them an' us . Wembley is over-subscribed by some 20,000 in the pissin' down rain . The game itself did more for us than them . It ended , of course , nils each - primarily due to when Inchy beats a stranded Grobbelaar . Ball is goalbound , until , that cheating Captain Scarlett's [Poor language removed] Hansen , whom earns his Eternal Sobriquet as he lowers his arm , but raises his knee and prevents the ball from going in . Our cries for a Penalty - at Wembley , against the Bealzebubs ... Are you SURE ..??? ... ; were naturally dismissed , and it was off to Manchester City for a replay . Thing was though . They respected us now . It was actually visible . Remember , this team had traumatised us - or without Reidy an' Andy Gray , it was us , not long previously . No one mentioned 5 nil that day though . Sharpy an' Inchy -Andy Gray was Cup-Tied , of course , having played fr Wolves in the competion tha year already ; were as good a forward pair as there was around . Our midfield was significant . Invariably , for the next 2 years , one of this firm would be M.O.M. in any given encounter . The defence looked solid , with Rats an' Degsy building a real partnership . An' in Goal ... Well , Neville was Neville was Neville , etc .. Simply the Best Around . Anywhere . On the Planet . The Wednesday night at Maine Road , was a little like a similar event - a replay at least , the last time we had a Wembley Cup Run - albeit in a different competition 1977 ; a let down . In other words , we had our chance the first time . You don't get 2 with thse Mufukas . So it proved , as though this time we did actually make a game of it , we enjoy no fortune . Moreover , the Bin Man is beaten by Sourpuss' Swinger from outside the area , so that just tells you it wasn't to be our night . We lose our first ever Final to the Uglies , but actually are in far better fettle than in '77 . We are STILL in the F.A. Cup , an' with characters like Gray , Reid , an' Sharpy himself , for whom Andy Gray had been the perfect fillip , on an' of the Park ; we were not gonna sulk for too long . We have two wins and a draw - one against our Semi Final opponents ; Southampton , pre , off to Highbury for an F.A. Cup Semi Final . A chance to put right both 1977 but also Lampard Snr's , hideous corner flag routine , from 1981 .

Again , on what I have previously annonuced , is my very favourite Semi Final ever , we turn up in the Cockney Sun . Don't be folled by the name Southampton , btw . The year before , this team of Mills , Shilton , Wiliams and Moran - Keegan , Channon , Osgood an' Bally had uny recently departed had finished 2nd to the Lucifers in the League . It was no push over . Sharpy had been dropped by HK the game before and Kendall sticks with the same 11 , with Terry Curran starting , as well as Tricky , with Richo in for Sheeds again . Nevertheless , we showed grit , desire an' not a little skill as a game of chess went into extra time . Now , the extra time was heading towards extra time . We get a free kick near the touchline . I never really saw it on the day , as I was being chased by Bizzies , under bars , through Fella's legs an' that , at the time . I do recall , glimpsing Reidy , over me shoulder , pointing ... As you know , Reidy's Free Kick , was nodded , looped would be a more accurate adjective actualy in to the North Bank net .. Cue scenes of Honest To God , delirium , as Evertonians realised not only was the clock all but , down , but also all those years of hurt were soon to be forgotten . With the roar and he pandemonium , the Cockne Bizzies decided to let me scarper and I was able to enjoy a heart lifting parade , twirling me jumper around me head , of the Highbury pitch . Murders , btw an' all ,... But still , me very bestest Semi final day out ever . Wem-bel-ey ,,. Again !!! In fairness , we could have taken our eye off the ball , but never lost in the 5 game lead up to the Final .

Sharpy's Non-Form , and subsequent dropping had not gone un-noticed outside Bellefield . There had been rumours of offers from other clubs , but Alex Ferguson , still Aberdeen , and an admitted admirerWe faced Watford , with Elton in a Morning Suit an' a Bespoke New Bride , the German Fraulein , Renata ... Wonder whatever happened to her ...??? - on May 19 1984 . It was our first visit there in this competition since Labby ,Bally and both Howard Kendall and Colin Harvey took the field against W.B.A. in 1968 . In truth and in retrospect , most analysts were agreed that we were the better side . However , us being us , I for one , would believe it when we were playing in the Charity Shield . They had Mojo , later of ourselves and MLS fame , RS Tawt John Barnes , Callaghan the little winger and mostly grafters . However , akin to Southampton 2 years earlier , had themselves finished 2nd behind Liverpool in the Championship , in an age when only the Champions played in the European Cup . The game itself , basically goes to plan . We are better in all departments . No Sheeds , but no matter . Tricky is a nightmare for them an' Richo the same on the left . Our defence pushes right up , an' with Ratters , makes sure no-one is gonna beat us for pace . And our strikers ... Both Andy Gray and Sharpy literally terrorise their back line . Our first goal is due to confusion as Sharps gets too much space , and after a renbound , opens the scoring with - for him , his best ever Everton goal . Second half , long cross into box . Gray goes up with their keeper , Sherwood . The undeniably , come together , as Andy bascally heads the ball from the Goalie's hands and into the net ... he never had it under control , apparently ... Ahem .. It wasn't of course . It was a foul , but we cared not . The game was largely seen out to a non-alarmed conclusion , and we had just lifted our first Trophy in nearly 15 years . Tbh , it wasn't the roaring , ear-shattering spectacle it would have been , say , in any of our subsequent Wembley defeats , but still , I partied . We all did . Howard Kendall had done what few other Everton Managers had done over the years , and placed silver in the Trophy Cabinet . An' this team , of Southall , Ratcliffe , Reid and of course , Sharpy Lid , was not quite finished yet . Indeed , it had hardly begun ,..

The summer saw , suprisingly , only one real incoming transfer deal , Paul Bracewell was signed from Sunderland for £200,000 and again , no one really cracked that much of a smile over it . We were wrong , btw . Again . Still , for the first time in a generation , we really didn't need that much . Our defence had some Metamorphasised into a unit par excellence , comprising of 2 conmplimentary Centre Halves allied to the finest Goalkeeper on Planet Earth . Genuinely . Our midfield was now awesome , and with options to boot , currently suppplemented by the yet to be seen Braces .We thus arrived at Wembley for the Annual Curtain Raiser against , yes , you've guessed it , Old Nick's 11 , the initial time we had met them in such a tie at the Old Stadium - the only other occasion we had met having been played at Goodison 1966 . My Family , seeing that I was Shanghai'ed to Newcastle an' had a massive Cod Mouth , sought to cheer me up by arranging a day out for the game . I was thus on a jolly , an' jolly did I do . Me mate Mouser was strolling up Wembley High Street , minding his own . I Bear - Hugged him after roaring his name across the street an' thus roped him in too . HE was now on a jolly too . Suffice to say that we had a magnificent day . Roasting hot . Turning up for once , on the Big occasion against the Lucifers and not being Psyched Out in the Tunnel . I'm not Crystal Clear on the game itself , but I DO remember our goal . Our End .There is a scramble and for once - ahem .. Grobbelaar is off his line . Ball breaks to Sharpy Lid whose effort is goal bound . The Ex- Rhodesian Army - Shooty Geezer , in running back towards his net , perfectly side-foots the ball without breaking his stride . He thus has the final touch as the ball crosses the line , but Graeme Sharp celebrated like it was his goal - which of course , it kinda was . We win the game 1-0 an' we get to watch Ratters walk up those 39 steps an' collect , admittedly only the Charity Shield , but the POINT was us overcoming Satan an' all his Legions at THAT place . They stood watching us Party . It will live with me for a long time . Seriously .

The following week , it was back to business , as we began our first season as Trophy Holder's since My Hero was the best midfielder in England . Optimism was overflowing . Even the Nay'-Sayers were forced to admit that Kendall really did seem to have something going on . Individually and collectively you couldn't really find much fault with the squad . So , we turn up for our first game of the Season , a home match versus Kerb-Crawling David Pleat's Tottingham . Well , Optimism / Schmoptimism as Clive Allen gives a taste of things to come for the season and scores all 4 of their goals in a 1-4 reverse . Talk about , Same Ol' Same Ol' ,... The despair that day was palpable , and equal to most everything else , with the possible exception of the 0-5 . An' it even came close to that . See ??? It appeared that , even with the F.A. Cup , it was just one more , False Dawn , an' even with our Silverware Drought over , it was the LAST thing we needed . Not with Lucifer's Firm our noisy neighbours . Seriously .
Another loss to W.B.A. away sought to underline the doubs , but slowly , the side rallied . 2 draws and 3 wins in the next 5 saw equilibrium return somewhat , and after a scare , a real one , versus the Irish Part-Timer's University College Dublin , in Europe , we defeat Shefield United at the end of September 4-0 , in the League Cup . Sharpy grabs his 5th goal of an already personally productive campaign . Our first game of October is not until the 12th , a home game versus Vanilla . Sharpy an' Inchy whom is having an even more personally fruitful campaign than Sharpy , Lid , score the goals in a 2-0 victory . The side are well placed in the League , have avoided two potential Banana Skins in both the League and European Cup Winner's Cups , and most patently , it seems that Spurs realy was what HK said it was . A blip . The following Saturday we go to Castle Grey Skull , with our most legitimate 11 since , once more , The Ball of Fire played for us . They knew it too , so there was even extra , EDGE on this one .
We were on the back foot from the start . Sheeds was missing again - having played injured in the Milk Cup Final , missed the Replay , the Southampton Semi , the F.A. Cup Final , and now the RS . Mooncat Harper was chosen in his stead and Gray was Substitute . We take the game to them . Our back 4 pushes up as far as we dare . Pat Van Den Hauwe , signed a month or so earier from Birmingham , another typical HK signing . No Fanfare when completed but seriously lauded by Evertonians at a later date ; had settled in lovely , and no disrespect to My Mate Bail's , whom was perhaps the better attacker , Psycho Pat - he EARNED the sobriquet , btw , had the defending thing down ,... Pat . Ahem ,.. Shortly into the second half , with the game typically deadlocked , they too have , pushed right up , and our defending a high line . Gary Stevens launches a long ball over both Sharpy an' Mark , in a merrrrrment , Lawrenson - in the shortest pair of shorts in history . They both give chase . our Slim-Line young forward arrives first . As the ball loops he catches it his instep , deftly touches it on before on the bottom of the bounce , pings a right foot volley , almost the identical twin of the Spurs strike 2 years earlier ; towards the top right hand corner as he looked . With the trajectory of an arrow seeking its target , it flies inexorably onwards and crashes into the net . The screams from, and scenes of , jubilation amongst Blues in the ground , and so I've heard since , outside the ground was genuinely memorable . Moreover , when the inevitable onslaught - the diving , cheating , getting in the Ref's ear shizzzzlle came , we stood strong . Being their fukn EQUALS type of strong . THAT was what I took away with me . That , an' no voice . An' a headache , but also a mad arse smile . Wide as me face for weeks afterwards . Sharpy , meanwhile , entered the Everton Hall of Fame that very day .
We beat Inter Bratislava away in Europe prior to Manchester United coming to the Old Lady . October 27 1984 , represented the High - Water Mark , to this Internet Phenomenon / Oracle etc , as after some 16 years watching Everton FC to this juncture , it was the best - in the absence of Alan James Ball Jnr , that I have ever seen them play . The first half alone , we scored 3 could've scored 13 . No exaggeration . Sharpy and Inchy were just sublime . Dovetailing to perfection , they terrorised a formidable and very expensive defence . Sheeds an' Tricky one more , ran riot , with Sheedy in particular , simply unplayable . Joe Mercer says , " I've never seen an Everton Team play as well as that . From 1-11 ,..." Our man with the Magic Left Foot grabs 2 , Sharpy and Inchy one each , as Shaggy Stevens even scores one . We go there on the Tuesday and knock them out of the League Cup , but on this day , the Saturday , what we really did was to eliminate them , psychologically , from the Title Race . Fact . Granted , they were to have their revenge later in the campaign - it's last day , in fact , but they were never a factor in the Championship after that . It was Mid-October . So now we were traumatising good sides ,...
More wins , with the exception of 2 blips , Grimsby in the League Cup as Wilkinson puts us out with a late header in the Park End goal . I took Me Baby Momma ... I TOLD YOU !!! , and an uncharacteristic 2-4 reverse at Norwich ; it was still , Always on the Grind . We had learnt how to win games . All kinds of games , from all kinds of positions . On December 15 , we defeat Nottingha Forest 5-0 , with Sharpy scoring 2 . Cloughie calls us the Team of the Next Decade . We then lose unluckily 3-4 to Chelsea , before beating Sunderland at Roker , on Boxing Day . Between then and March 2nd and a 1-1 draw at Old Trafford , we played 10 games and won 9 of them . United being the tenth . We were playing well , but had not yet reached our zenith .

We play 13 more games before meeting Bayern Muich in the European Cup Winner's Cup Semi Final , Secnd Leg , 0-0 on aggregate . We drew 2 of them and won the rest . Momentum had now become a Juggernaut . With the Pedal to the Metal . Going down a steeeeep hill . We were , Honest to God , breathtaking . Tottenham Away . The so-called Title Decider . Their back line of Roberts an' Maxie Miller supposedly the toughest in the division . Well , our two Kilt wearing , sporran toting Front Men gave them a hiding in every sense of the word , as Andy Gray and Tricky with a goal that just had , " Give me the Title , Mufukas ... " , written all over it , win it for us in style .... The Sunderland game , where a Professorship in Geometry may have helped in the Aestheitic Ecstacy of the visual absorbtion of the fare on show . But I doubt it . It blew your mind , no matter who you were . 2 weeks before Bayern , we beat Luton Town , after exra time in another Semi Final , this time the F.A. Cup . So , Wembley again .
The evening of Wednesday April 24 will ive long in the memory of anybody connected with St. Domingo FC . It was our first ever European Semi Final , it was against World Renowned Opposition , but we , ourselves could not have been playing any better in the lead up . The only slight concern was after the 0-0 in Munchen , we have no chance of an away goal . A criterion which had already bitten us once before, historically . No matter . Bring it on . Well , bring it on , they certainly did . They were typical German opponents . Never panicking , despite an amosphere that was genuinely , White Hot . Always looking to break , and in numbers , as per European Football . They were in short , quality . The Players speak of the Team Bus not being able to make it to Goodison due to hordes of Fans . Of them sitting in the dressing room beforehand with the walls literally vibrating . It had all of these things . And then there was the game itself ,..

In a archetypal Upper Echelon European Fixture it is a Chess Game . Inches matter . The tension is almost visible . In a rare defensive lapse Hoeness gets a break on the edge of our box . Bin Man tries to come out but German International Strikers rarely miss , and this one certainly did not , 0-1 . Now we have to get 2 . Game on . Their back line of Eber and Pflugel are No Angels themselves , but as our full backs in particular begin to launch long balls forward for our strikers , Sharpy an' particularly Andy Gray , get mentioned in despatches . Half Time . One down .We come out and immediately press . Sharpy gets a goal almost straight away . 48th minute . Now , it is game on . They took the fight to the Germans to such an extent that Gray enjoyed another Sherwood type incident , as their Keeper Pfaff is collided with , drops the ball , which Andy scoops away from him and places it into the net . The Crowd go bananas , and HK's assertion that if they , " Put it up there , the Gwladys Street will suck it in for you ,.." , was coming true . We were now rampant , attacks flowing like they had in the League since Christmas . Nevertheless , our Strikers do not let up . When Otto Ludeck the Bayern Coach , complains to the Everton Bench as to the treatment , he is met with , as one ; " Fuk off !!! ... " I kid you not . Trevor Steven breaks away , just over 10 minutes left . He is clear , and though still a baby , there is no-one you would rather have bearing down upon Bayern's goal , with the Gwladys Street ahead of him , than Tricky Trev' . Wih that graceful , gliding run , he calmly slots before turning towards the Bullens Road , and giving me the nearest thing I have ever had to a Man Crush . Fuk me , he was SEXY !!! Oh , an' , btw , we have just reached our first European Final ,... The partying was Legendary Players , Staff an Fans . But we weren't finished yet .

3 more wins on the bounce in the Championship confirm us as League Winners for the first time since 1969/70 . The Trophy was presented before the 2-0 win over Q.P.R. which was little more than a Procession . Sharpy , and Derek Mountfield scored . This is the real deal now . The RS win Leagues . Not us . But this side of , Southall , Ratcliffe , Reid , Sheedy and definately Sharpy Lid , were now amongst the very best on the European Continent . Fact . We lose at Nottingham Forest as Howard drafts in the stiffs before it's off to Rotterdam for , on May 21 st 1985 , Everton Football Club's First European Final . At the De Kuip Stadium , Feyenoord , Rotterdam . Our opponents were Rapid Wein . Unusually , they had already been eliminated from that season's competition by Celtic but after a one-man pitch invasion and the threatening of a Rapid Player , the game was ordered to be replayed at Old Trafford , Manchester , and of course , the Austrians were victorious . The issue still rankles amongst Bhoys to this day .
In truth , our Final was the Semi-Final , as we are completely superior to Vienna . Our Defence looks after Hans Krankl , their Big Arse Austro-Beckhamesque Centre Forward , with one exception , when he scored . Our Midfield is quite simply phenomenal , both defending and attacking , and our Forwards terrify the Austrians as they had the Germans , Dutch , Czechs and Irish before them . Sheeds , Andy Gray and Tricky again , seal a magnificent and relatively scare free victory and secure our inaugral piece of Euro D'Argent . We are still not finished though . 3 days later we are to meet Manchester United at Wembley in our second successive F.A.Cup Final . Moreover , with the Club already having secured 2 Trophies we were on the brink of an unprecedented , in England , Treble .

The Wembley Showpiece was in fact anything but . United , still smarting from the 5-0 mauling , gave us a lot of respect . Defending high up though , given that neither Everton Forward was blessed with pace , the game is tight . Neither side much of anything . Deep into the second half , our midfielder , Reidy is - bizarrely , one-on-one with their Irish , Hurling Player Cente Half , Moran . He pushes the ball past him , with about as much chance of catching it as I had , but Moran merely steps in his way . Next thing , Reidy disappears over his shoulder and the Big Lad becomes the first player dismssed in an F.A. Cup Final . They , instead of folding , do what many teams do when , down to 10 and rally . Game goes to extra time . Whiteside , their Irish Wunderkind , and soon to be Blue-Nose picks up the ball on the touchline nearest to the Managers . He skips an' steps and Psycho looks to be jockeying him fine . Next thing , cheeky fuka shoots from a ridiculous distance . Ridiculous . Though , somehow , Neville is unable to reach it and it curls around his outstretched arm and nestles into the far corner . We are beaten . We have nothing left , and thus are denied the most legitimate Treble - given where we came from , in English Football history . The fact is though , irrespective of the Wembley loss , we are now genuinely regarded as a European Football Powerhouse . No-one wants to draw Everton Football Club . On the Wednesday , the Lucifers will play Juventus in Bruxelles ..... Still , the Homecoming was Supreme ; " Two will do . We Thank You ..." , were , I believe , the words used . It was . We did .

The feeling among Evertonians was similar - believe me , I know ; to the Hospital giving you bad news but no-one else knows . Like a strange netherworld were nothing makes sense . Problem was , it was true . Hideous , but Vero , unfortunately . On the pitch , Kendall , reasoning after Wembley that we needed more pace in the side , had once more shocked us , when swooping for the young Leicester forward , Gary Lineker , and allowing last year's hero , Andy Gray to return to his supposed first love , Aston Villa . We begin with the season curtain raiser at the Twin Towers , but this time as Champions . Sharpy is missing as Inchy and Links are selected . We win 2-0 and Inchy grabs a goal . Few Evertonians would've begrudged him a Wembley goal .
The season proper began with an inevitable defeat , away at Leicester , ironically , 1-3 . Kendall was now openly changing the methodology of , let's be frank , what was the finest attacking outfit upon the European Continent . I , for one , was sceptical . We beat W.B.A. in midweek , the Sharpy scored in a home draw against Coventry and is promptly dropped , as the Gaffer goes with Inchy an' Links . We defeat Tottenham - our next game , 1-0 , then Birmingham , 4-0 , as Links gets his first Everton Hat-Trick and Inch High the other one , then its off to Hillsborough . What I recall most about this day , was obviously the win , but also that Mick Lyons was their Captain , and as we ring out , " Champions ... ", there's a look on his face ... Still , no favours as we wipe the floor with them 5-1 . Now , this is more iike it !!! Sharpy himself , was in one game , out the next as Howard tinkered . He was not happy and rumours of a move began to surface . Italy was mentioned - Serie B as Serie A teams couldn't buy Foreigners at the time .
The Bealzebubs arrive for the Season's first - and with the Pos-Europe Murdoch Sports Super Cup , of many ; Derby meetings . They ake a 3-0 half time lead , as Fuk Off McMahon is kinda , The Guv'nor - hard as it is to admit . He also rifles a corker from 500 yards past Big Neville . The Sun was in his eyes , apparently . No matter , my unhappiness could be heard from my vantage point in the Gwlady - near the front , Mainy Side of goal ; Ohhhh , I'd say past where I now live on St. Domingo . I was roaring at Lineker to stop being a Faggot Arse Southerner - Ahem , and fukn get stuck in , you ponce !!! Loudly . An' often , as it goes . Well , either that , or Kendall's own bollocking sorted the problem as the second period was one-sided as the first , but in our favour . We drag back two goals as Lineker gets his first Derby goal and Sharpy his usual one . However , we should have actually beaten them , never mind drew as we miss a succession of chances with Links ballooning one in particular , late on , over the St. End crossbar . Typical fukn Lucifers . The Cloven-Hooved One's Luck , as ever . They win 2-3 but its no real biggy . Its coming along . Slowly , but defo progressing now . Two defeats in 9 saw us maintain a challenge at the top of the League . Arsenal came to Goodison on November 9th . By now Kendall had decided - finally upon his preferred pairing . Links and Sharps . Inchy would slot into midfield or deputise / supplement where necessary . The Gunners were destroyed 6-1 , as again the goals began to flow - having scored 4 versus Watford 2 weeks previously . The following week , we beat Ipswich 4-3 in another fine game . Sharpy scored for the second week in a row , as the new system finally began to bed down . Christmas comes and goes . Results keep coming our way . We meet Q.P.R. on January 11th and beat them 2-1 . Sharpy scores . He is on a streak as his partnership with Links is now the most prolific in the Division . He has 6 goals from his last 6 games as Evertonians begin to believe that it really was still on . We are also progressing nicely again in the F.A. Cup , in which we have lost one game in two full seasons of competition . This year seems no different .

Saturday 22nd February 1986 was a fine day in the Annals of Santo Domingo FC . It was Castle Grey Skull Day . They were no longer Champions , as of course , WE WERE , but had beaten us in the Goodison Derby an' anyone thinking they had lost their powers of evil , due to Heysel was sadly mistaken . They still had Jimmy Fukn Durante banging them in , an' the Homosexual loading his gun for him - as it were . Nevertheless , we are winners now , done them in this game last season too , and in Lineker have a striker , in all truth , the equal of The Appendage . So , game on then ,.. In a day of watery sunlight and cold , we attack the Deep End 2nd half after a first half of the usual tasty tackles , lots of endeavour and precious little else . Then , our Captain , that Master of Beckenbauer-esque attack from defence shizzzllle , Ratters , makes a forward thrust . Indeed , instead of the usual 5/10 yards before logic wins the day , this day he carries on going . And going . He eventually decideds to hit a Brazilian - not the waxing ; like effort in to the top corner . Instead , he proper scuffs one which bounces 40 times and never is in excess of 8mph as it meanders its way towards goal . In a pay-back of all the years of shabite luck against these , it manages to avoid the various bodies in and around , as Brucie is unsighted and it miraculously , and I do not use that word frivilously , bobbles across the line . Shortly after , Lineker , back post , 3 yards out - just his distance ; as he runs away with both arms raised again , signifying he had scored his opening Deep End Derby goal , and it was time for the Blues in the Road End to Par-teh ... Again ..!!! I could get used to this like ,.. In honesty , many of us leaving the ground that day thought that was the end of the Lucifers as serious Title Challengers that year , as following our Derby victory , they were 12 points behind , and with ourselves , last year's challengers , Spurs , Man' United having picked up from the cup win , and Southampton , who again put in a shift pulling away .
Four wins and two draws from the last 6 games sees us now with genuine hopes of being the first Everton Team ever , and only the second side , after Forest and the Devil's XI , in the modern day to retain the First Division Championship . We are also still going strong in the F.A. Cup . So it was that we are off to Vanilla Park to meet Sheffield Wednesday , themselves in the shake-up for - if there were any of course , European Places in the League . They were no push overs , and so it proved . I've said it before , but ths , and perhaps West Ham , were my least favourite Semi Finals ever - and I DO the F.A. Cup , incidentally . My reasoning being that I honestly did not fancy us . Even in extra time , with the lead , I still thought they'd come back . The lad Shutt . Workaday grafter but knew where the net was and troubled us on the day . Naturally , the game goes into extra time , Mooncat having opened the scoring for us , uny to be pegged back by , I think , Shutt as it goes . So , we are without loads , Links , primarily . We miss him too . Still , My Mate , Sharpy eventually puts us through with a peach of a volley into the Holt End net as again , the Parties started . This , Wem-bel-ey , chant was becoming repetitive , btw ... Lovely ... Fantastic , but repetitive . Post Christmas , we never seemed to stop singing it . A testament to our side of the day .

With no Europe this term , all eyes are now back on the League Campaign . Somewhat worryingly , the Bealzebubs - of course they would - have resurrected their Title bid from nowhere and are now 3 points behind . Still , its miles , relatively speaking . Isn't it ..??? Of our next 4 games , we win 3 but draw one . Then we go to Oxford , the scene of our redemption . Our Barn in Bethlehem . Nothing could go wrong here ... Surely ... In truth , nothing went right . We try to be calm as they try to mix-it . It was a steamy night in more than one sense . The amount of chances we missed was indeed inexcuseable . Links missed 6 on his own , but others , Sharpy included , were just as culpable . They score , second half , but even then we have enough openings to have won the game . We spurn them all and go down 1-0 . The night before , The Lucifers have beaten Waford , I think at Vicarage Road , thus negitiating the points difference . Indeed they are now ahead on goal difference . We have thrown away a second consecutive Championship , and while there were games left , we all knew it .
As it was , we did all we could in our remaing 2 fixtures , even scoring the required 6 goals against a bloody decent Southampton side - whom the Murderers have defeated in their Semi Final . It was for nothing though , as the Homosexual chips Chelsea's Russian goalie , or wherever he was from , and secures himself a League Championship in his initial year as Player Manger . Mufuka . As I noted , we are aware at this stage that the Vermin will be our opposition in the F.A. Cup Final and there was a genuine air of , we owe yous fukas one , btw ,..

So , with our new striker bagging 39 goals in his debut season , and as Champions putting in a Title bid that saw us fall short by virtually nothing , we looked to even up the scores in the Wembley Sun . Everything started swimmingly . We had the better of the first half . Sharpy now a Master at the - Gray inspired trick of ; jumping a fraction too early for any given ball . Invariably , as the Defender was within touching distance , as Graeme was on his way down , the Oppo' would end up leaning over his shoulders giving the appearance of a foul . I used to , Woop-Woop , as loud as for some goals , as it proper rang my bells . He did this a lot on the day at Wembley and we just Territorial-ised the fuk out of the game . Shortly before the break . Reidy picks up the ball , and with his partner-in-crime now in jeopardy of losing his career - he did lose his Everton Career as a result of an assault by the Barcodes Yard-Dog Whitehurst ; he pings a perfect 40 yard ball on to the on-running Lineker and Captain Scarlett Handball Hansen vainly blowing out of his arse . A foot race ensues with only one winner . Links however , mis-hits his first effort and it bounces back from Grobbelaar . Fortunately , Soft Arse has not yet caught up and young Gary has time to make sure his second dig has sufficient power to find the net . Once more , the arms raised , big grin , run . The RS were getting used to it this season . Alas , half-time was no friend to us , as the absence of first , Brace , as Molby the Whale and The Artful Dodger , Whelan begin to take the piss . However , Sharpy is denied the finest header by an Everton player at Wembley which I have witnessed , by an amazing full length save by their Goalie . The match would turn on it . The wide open spaces of Wembley once more resembled the Killing Fields of the Manchester United Extra-Time period . They get 3 goals as the Bin Man was suddenly very missed . The Toucan gets 2 . My heart breaks , but I get laid as a direct result of my pain . Silver Linings / Clouds , lid . So , at the end of a campaign of turmoil , one in which we certainly started as if in a daze , but rallied like few Everton teams have ever rallied , was ultimately fruitless which was hard on that group of players . One thing ; some bright spark in the Labour City Council , basking in the Pre-Heysel Salad Days of the '84 Milk Cup Final , suggested a joint Open-Top Bus Parade . No matter what the result . Thus , Our Squad was forced to endure basic public humiliation - least , I bet that's how it felt , for 3 hours as the RS lapped it up . Mind you there were positives . The side was young , and in Sharpy , Links , and Inch High , have possibly the finest trio of strikers in the Division . So it was all good , as the Players head off to the World Cup ,.... Sharpy finished the Campaign with , 23 goals from 51 starts in all competitions , including 3 as a Substitute . I mean , after last year , what could possibly go wrong ..???

The 1986 World Cup was once more held in Mexico . As with the previous time the Central American State hosted the Tournament , Everton sent a significant representation to the England side . Though on this occasion , the Scots had also qualified . Jock Stein had sadly died immediately following their final qualification , and had been temporarily replaced by Alex Ferguson . His first move was to drop Handball Hansen from the W/C Final Squad , despite his having only just won , The Double . Still , justice is justice , as they say . Sharpy however , was in . Andy Gray , not having pulled up any trees in an average Vanilla side , was not . Sharpy was not picked however - indeed did not even make the bench ; until their final , must-win game against Uruguay . Unfortunately for Sharp's , Lid , they drew 0-0 and were out as his Jules Rimet experience was something of a let down .
In what was now becoming a , " I know what you did last Summer ... " , Nightmare thing , we endured yet another Solero Horror , as due to his winning the Golden Boot as Tournament Top Scorer , Dagenham Spiv' , and new Barcelona Manager swoops for him , and Links had signed even before El Tel began his Frank Sinatra routine . Once again , we had done nothing at all wrong , but were being punished nonetheless . So , we have £2.2 million but no finest Centre Forward in Europe - or joint with Triangle Head . HK decides to stick with Sharpy and Inchy citing our Pre-Xmas form , 1984 . Many of us were sceptical though , it has to be said .

1986/87 can I think be accurately portrayed as the season of injuries which in a juxtaposition to 12 months earlier , nevertheless returned the craving for Silverware . Football , eh ??? We began with 2 wins to draws , but the incomings , a RS Swerving Ian Snodin - thus securing him Everton Legend Status Pre-Kicking a ball in Blue ; and Ex-RS Dave Watson a Centre Half from Norwich ; aside , were Kevin Langley and Neil Adams and a little later , Neil , " Dissa " Pointon , and perhaps the strangest of the lot , Manchester City Stalwart and Club Captain , Paul Power .. After Lineker , it wasn't exactly playing to the Signings Gallery . Still , its about results . We defeat Man' United at the Old Lady , 3-1 as we lay down a marker - Links maybe gone but it's still , Business As Usual at L4 4EL . Sharpy gets his third goal of the Season . Injuries really do begin to bite . Van Den Hauwe will be out for nearly the whole season as Power is forced to deputise but in reality tears it up . Paul Wilkinson too , is often foriotten , but definately put in a shift , particularly Pre-Christmas . Langley , Adams , all played a significant role , as our Band Wagon contniued to roll , albeit on 3 wheels . Sharpy nets his debut Everton Hat-Trick in the utterly jargoon Full Members Cup , the League's Anti-Euro Ban solution , in a 5-1 win over the Barcodes . We remain in the League Cup until February as the Football Gods mess with us some more as we draw the Vermin - again , this time at home . I was in the Main Stand and heard the crack of Jim Beglin's leg in a tackle with our midfield Iron-Man , Kevin Sheedy . However , as with many of our Derby meetings of the period . Gerard Depardieu is the difference . He scores a header in the Park End as time ticks away . Another devastating blow . Yet , the team , amazingly , seemed to shrug it off . Power and Dave Watson deputising as Motivators in Cheif , in Reidy's absence and Snod's quality made Brace's absence less painful .

Once more , the F.A. Cup is kind to us . We draw the talk of English Football , Wimbledon's Crazy Gang . A side who had literally came through the Leagues . They do not adhere to the accepted First Division rules an' certainly ruffle some feathers in their early days in the top flight . They do a job on us . At the Bollox , at Corners an' Dead Ball kicks an' without doubt we are ruffled . That little Dwarf Gibson , later to play for the Mancs , grabs 2 as we are eliminated 1-3 . Our first loss , outside of Wembley , in this competition since Stapleton scored at Old Trafford 4 years earlier . Gutted . One thing , as the injuries bite , HK dips back into the transfer market , again raising Blue eyebrows . If we thought Paul Power was a shock , then the purchase of Wayne Clarke , did nothing to replace Lineker in the hearts of Evertonians . Least at the start ,.. Indeed , he was excellent . Not a poseur , defo a grafter , but also knew where the goal was . He scored the goal which many believe actually won us the Title ; a 1-0 win at Highbury at the end of March . He then bags his only Everton Hat-Trick in the 3-0 defeat of the Barcodes . The week after , we go to Grey Skull and are beaten 1-3 . It is the game where Sheeds flashed the V's -if you wanna see the REAL V's , check him and Inch High on the halfway line at the final whistle ,... A defeat there always hurts , but our prominence in the Title race softens the blow . 2 weeks later , we go to Norwich Cty . Psycho Pat , back in the side grabs the winner , 1-0 , as the Title is confirmed . The week after . we have Luton Town at home in the intended Procession game . In fact they make it a War , but we triumph 3-1 and Sharpy gets his final goal of the campaign . He finishes with 13 goals in all competitions from 37 starts . We are not lauded like we were in 1985 , but no matter . Indeed , among the Players whom played in both , this Title means just as much . I feel the same way meself .

The summer of 1987 brought the - now expected Monster Calamity , as this time , our Manager , in yet another Fallout from Heysel incident , heads of to the Basque Country . Colin Harvey is promoted as the only candidate .
Again , we are involved in the Charity Sheild for the 4th year running . We are once more victorious , and Clarkey scores his only Wembley goal for Everton . I climb up that drain pipe and swing through those Half-Moon windows - an' experience in itself , I assure you . So , the first Trophy in the bag . We have Norwich in the opener , we win 1-0 , but only win another game out of our first 7 . The Mancs arrive and are despatched 2-0 , Clarkey gets them both . On Saturday 4 October , Graeme Sharp scores all of our goals in a 4-0 victory over Southampton . 2 weeks later he bags 2 in a 4-1 defeat of Chelsea . We then go to the RS twice in a week . We triumph in the League Cup as Shaggy Stevens scores his only Derby goal - a cracker in the Deep End . On the Saturday we are vanquished 0-2 . It was gonna be one of those seasons , it seemed . At the end of November , we play Bayern Munich in a repeat of the 1985 Semi-Final , in the Football League Centenary Trophy . The game is over a single leg - given we are unable to play fixtures in Europe . We win 3-1 , as Sharpy gets 2 , Inchy the other one . A fortnight later , we are defeated in Dubai , on penalties by the Glasgow Huns in yet another formulated - phony championship . From there , its back to 2 wins , 2 defeats , as Harvey begins to realise tha spending is required . The side lacks flair , which is odd with Tricky , Sheeds , Inchy around , but it remains , fact .
We are drawn against Sheffield Wednesday in the F.A. Cup 3rd round . We draw 1's each at hiome and are not over-enamoured at having to replay over there . Nevertheless , we go there and put on our finest display of the campaign as Graeme Sharp grabs a hat-trick . Anyone present will testify to how superb we were that day . We get Middlesborough in the next round , and draw 1-1 at the Old Lady , Sharpy scores our goal . The replay goes to extra-time and finishes 2-2 . We toss for venue and come out on top , and eventually defeat them 2-1 as Sharp's and a Mowbrey Oggy see us through . We have already played enough games in this year's competition to be in the Semi's . then we draw the RS at home ,.. Indeed , it was in the Cups that our season really resides , as we draw at home with Arsenal , as Tricky ballons a penalty over the St. End crossbar . We are beaten both by the Bealzebubs , 0-1 , then battered 1-3 - we go out 1-4 on aggregate . We do however , have the pleasure of breaking the Lucifer's unbeaten League record as Clarkey gets a front post header in the Park End goal . There is also a Wembley trip - I never bothered , as we meet and are defeated by , Man' United in the Final of the Mickey Mouse Mercantile Credit Trophy . Our season tails off and we eventually finish a reasonable , but no more , 4th place , but a massive 20 points behind the RS Champions . Graeme Sharp plays 42 games in al competitions and has a 22 goal return .

1988/89 was to be the Summer that Harvey got the cheque-book out . He equals the British Transfer Record of £2.2 million on West Ham's diminutive striker , Tony Cottee . He is joined by the Scots winger , Patsy Nevin from Chelsea for just shy of £1 million . To these , he adds Stuart McCall from Bradord as he attempts to give Reidy some assistance in the middle of the Park . Also , Neil McDonald a , with respect , exceedingly average full back from the Barcodes .
For the first time in 5 years we are not involved in the Charity Shield , so our opening game is a home fixture with the Barcodes . By way of co-incidence , this is my 4 year old Son's first game . We are upstairs in the old Park End - old habits die hard , btw . We are awesome as our new strike partnership dovetails perfectly . We win 4-0 , as Cottee gets a debut Hat-Trick , and Sharpy the other one . Also , I've got an Evertonian on me hands for life - he went with me yesterday , btw . As for us though , Newcastle was to be a Flash-in-the-Pan , as we lose 5 of our next 7 games . If you read any of the Player's Autobiographies from this period , most point to the fact that things were changing at Goodison . Whereas before , the newbies had been welcomed and ultimately adopted the Everton Ethos of , All For One . Roll up your sleeves an' put it in for your mate . This firm , apparently , were more Loners . Nevin , certainly was a one-off . An an age of , Elton John , Billy Joel , as Footy Player's Musical Favourites , Patsy wore a Trench Coat and went to see the Cocteau Twins . Moreover , TC was never a big hit , socially . Many felt , right or wrong , that he was only focused upon his own goal tally , irrespective of the Team's fortunes . He denies it , mind you , but given the foundations for our amazing success , it wasn't surprising that he wasn't popular . McCall they reckon was caught between two stools , as it were . Whatever the truth , it certainly showed on the Park .
From a home draw to the Mancs on October 30th , we win 2 games from 6 . We overcome Joe Royle's Oldham after a replay in the League Cup . The RS Derby finishes 1's each as Clarkey scores for us . A draw and 3 wins see out the year . Our form remains erratic though , despite Hogmanay . A win , a draw , a loss . In the Cup though , we maiintain momentum . Moreover , we are also in the M. Mouse Simod Cup Semi Final , which if nothing else means a Wembley Day Out . We meet Norwich at Vanilla Park in the F.A. Cup Semi Final . I travel from London as we beat thm 1-0 in the most bizarre football atmosphere that I shall ever experience . Shortly after kick off , we begin to hear reports of a disturbance at the other game , the RS versus Forest at Hillsborough . our Evertonian heads take us right to , " Them Murderin' Fukas at it again ... " Rumours of injuries . Bad ones . 10 dead ....30 dead ... We leave the ground unable to celebrate as being a Scouser suddenly means something . We all know the upshot , an' we all have our personal feelings , but suffice to say , innocents lost their lives . That can never be forgiven . Nor forgotten .

The League Campaign resumes with a game at Tottenham . I live on the Old Kent Road and turn up . The gate outside their ground is like every other gate outside every other ground . Full of scarves and flowers .I'm talking to the Bin Man near the pitch like he's me best mate . He passes me a Bouquet he has been given by the Mascot or whomever . Violence had disappeared overnight , btw . In the interim we have indeed secured a Wembley date in the Simod Cup Final against , irony of ironies , Nottingham Forest . I've gotta be honest here . I will never be able to have these Mufukas from this day on . I takes me 4 year old . I'm living in London and buy me tickets direct from the Stadium . On the day , we're in their end . Not arsed .Our D has his Stripey Kit on an' its ," Let's go the Footy , Young'un ..." Inside , I'm sitting by this group . They sees the Boy's Kit . It ges to the Minute's Silence , one says ... " Fuk 'em .. It's only robbin' Scousers .. For-Est !!! " I turn around , I shouldn't , but I can't help meself . I say , " What did you say , Dickkhead ??? If it hadn't have been for yous Scab-Arse Mufukas , we'd still have a Mining Industry . You're the Fukn Scumbags , Scumbag ... " With that , I passes me Lad to some Bird minding her own business and offer the Gentleman a further word . His arse goes . I then proceed to give the BIG one for the rest of the game . Which , btw is a cracker . We lose 3-4 with some of the best goals , from both sides that the Old Stadium has ever seen - one a volley from Sharpy . The Nation is in shock , as we now face theBealzebubs in the F.A. Cup Final . Suffice to say , I believe that we were never gonna win this game . The whole World was now in their corner ; which , let's be honest , they've never needed in the past . Miraculously though , we pull two goals back . The first time I have ever witnessed such an event , and for just a few minutes , I sat on line with our Area as The Toucan scores again , actually believing it was possible . Will I ever fukn learn ,..??? We lose the game 2-3 and with it goes Colin Harvey's closet chance at Silverware . I personally , was therefore Screaming on the following Wednesday when Micheal Thomas done a forward roll at the Anfield Road End . Old habits an' that ,... We ourselves finish 4th but miles away . Sharpy plays 38 games and bags 13 goals .

The Summer of 1989 saw the departure of Trevor Steven to the Glasgow Huns , joining his right sided Mucka , Shaggy Stevens . Though unquestionably one of the best and certainly most aesthetically pleasing players I have ever seen in Royal Blue , It had been coming . Incomings , and there were a few with Harvey seeing our distinct lack of backbone at Wembley , sought to reinforce . He signed Martin Keown from Aston Villa and Norman Whiteside from Manchester United . Yes . THAT Norman Whiteside . Also , Sharpy's umpteenth Striking Partner arrived in Mike Newell , a RS Scouser from Luton Town . Indeed , it was Newell whom hit the ground running , scoring in 6 of the first 8 games , one his debut Derby goal in a 1-3 home reverse . On Bonfire Night - evening , we go to Vanilla . The game is televised and we are embarrassed , 2-6 . It really is two steps forward one back . We win 1 and lose 4 of our next 6 . We defeat Luton Town a home on New Year's Day as we all hope for a change of luck . Sharpy gets our 2nd . At the end of January , I trek , on a Sunday Morning as I recall , OFF me Barnet , btw , to Hillsborough for our first visit there post-Tragedy . Norman Whiteside gets 2 without reply as we progress . This was also the year of the famous , Keown / Sheedy incident in a Southport Restaurant . " Your Brother is a [Poor language removed] .. " , earned Sheeds a Keown Left , and it made the Papers . Said everything about our Team Spirit at the time . We are almost nevitably defeated at Grey Skull , as Sharpy scores our goal in a 1-2 reverse . I make an horrendous Coach Journey from Newcastle to Oldham , via Manchester to see Joe Royle's side deposit us out of the F.A. Cup . Sharpy would get only three more goals all season , as Beagrie - signed by Harvey in November was proving he was no Trevor Steven . Graeme Sharp completed his worst Everton Season in front of goal with 7 from 40 games in all competitions .

The Summer signings were Mike Milligan , the Captain of Joe Royle's Oldham whom had een us off in las year's F.A. Cup , the McCall experiment had not gone well , despite his Wembley heroics . Also , Andy Hinchcliffe arrived from Manchester City . His main claim to fame being his having scored in a 5-1 rout of United in a Manchster Derby . As it was , Milligan would endure a nightmare 12 months at Everton , whereas Hinchcliffe would make the England Team . Fortunes , eh ..??? We begin with three straight defeats , the first of which was the Leeds defeat where Neville Southall sits against the Park End Post for his Half-Time . I was there and while it was funny , it was also fukn embarrassing . Sign of things to come . 2 draws before the Lucifers come to town . We lose unluckily 2-3 as McCall scores another against them , as does Newell . Nevertheless , we stood 18th of 20 First Division Teams and had endured , officially , our worst ever start to a Campaign . Enough was enough . Whle everyone retains love for The White Pele , it has to be admitted that he was never the best , #1 , as it were . His talents were as Second-in-Command , and his role in Sharpy's , Ratter's , Gary Stevens , Big Neville's and many others progress was without doubt , immense . Still , he was not an Everton Manager . He was replaced , and bizarrely re-hired as Coach , by his erstwhile Gaffer and close friend on , Howard Kendall - the first day he was appointed ; in the first of the Dome's St. Domingo Renaissance . In truth though , little changed . 2 draws , 2 defeats . The Season continues to meander . On January 1 , Sharpy scores our first in a 2-1 win at Stamford Bridge - Jason Cundy scores an Oggy for oursecond . It brings Graeme onto 111 First Team goals for Everton Football Club , thus leaving him second only behind the Great Dixie Dean in our all time standings . Some honour , btw . We draw the Vermin at Grey Skull - again in the F.A. Cup 4th round . The game ends goalless as Referee Elleray decides Tablet's Thigh-High lunge on Nevin , in the Anfield Road area is not a Penalty ,and its back to our place . The historical signifiance of this game often belies that rank haphazardness of the whole night , which Beardo's and Barnes' goals aside , was chokka with mistakes . Nevertheless , I am in the Main Stand with Brother-in-Law and Tony M , me mate . We come back 4 fukn times , in the most incredible Derby there has ever been - in modern times , unfolds . It ends 4-4 as the Homosexual decides he's had enough and resigns . Sharpy and Cottee share our goals , all in the Street end goal . They would be his last for Everton . Graeme Sharp would make his last appearance in Royal Blue . He finishes his St. Domingo Career with 150 goals in 450 competitive games .

His move comes when Joe Royle offers him a lifeline at Oldham , where he flourishes . He stays at Boundary Park for 6 yeas in all , the last 3 as Manager . He was finally relieved of the position in March 1997 with Oldham on the verge of relegation t the 2nd Division . He would make 107 appearances for them , scoring 30 goals . From there he goes to Bangor City , where he encounters My Mate , Kenny Mc . where he wins the Welsh Cup in 1998 . He leaves Professional Football altogether after his departure that year , and returns locally and begins to work in the Media as well as becoming Everyone's Fans Representaive . I've been down and met him meself . He currently resides on Radio City on Matchdays and generally still attends every Everton game , irrespective of venue .

In reviewing Graeme Sharp as a Sermon Focus , it has given me cause to re-examine not only his magnificent - second only to Dean , statistics , but his commitment , desire on behalf of , and unadulterated love for , ALL things Everton Football Club . He was as Mad Arse , the day he walked out of here - with a Cob on , btw , as the day he won his First Championship , and was upset as any fan as our standards began to slip . He felt it . He was also as a good a Striker at hold up play that I have seen - though had the maddest , Tip-Toe'd run that I have witnessed , but could he play though ..??? . Graeme was born a Glasgow Proddy , yet he gets Everton like you or I . No finer accolade could I give him .

Therefore , this Domingo , thank the Almighty in providing Graeme Sharp , Centre Forward and Goalscorer par excellence , and Pure Evertonian .

Amen .

May the Good Lord be with you all .

Written in Britain .

Remember , Jesus Loves You 'cause you're a Blue .

Look after Your Peoples .

Peace Out .

The Catholic Reverand L.C.A.B.

" ... I know My Peoples hearin' me . ... Hollah if y'all need me ,.... Word ,... "

Last edited:
Top sermon. I'm the same age as Sharpy, his career corresponded with the greatest period in Evertons history and therefore, my biggest memories as a supporter, all mentioned above. I think he really developed into a top striker when Andy Gray was at the club, especially mastering the art of hanging in the air, happy days indeed, thanks.

Top sermon. I'm the same age as Sharpy, his career corresponded with the greatest period in Evertons history and therefore, my biggest memories as a supporter, all mentioned above. I think he really developed into a top striker when Andy Gray was at the club, especially mastering the art of hanging in the air, happy days indeed, thanks.

Nice one , mate .

Indeed , lid ...

Indeed , Dawg ,...

Thanks LCAB, makes my Sunday do your sermons. Always print them off for my Dad, who reads them with his Grandson, imparting the history down the generations. Must take you hours to research and put together, so just a note to say they travel far and wide, in more ways than one.

Cheers.

Brilliant. Captures the facts and the atmosphere of the games equally well. Should be made into a film, starring...err Graeme Sharp as...Graeme Sharp, special guest appearance by Inchy...well, you know what I mean.;)

Thanks LCAB, makes my Sunday do your sermons. Always print them off for my Dad, who reads them with his Grandson, imparting the history down the generations. Must take you hours to research and put together, so just a note to say they travel far and wide, in more ways than one.

Cheers.

Thank you , lad .

That's nice of you , kid .

Big Up to your Da' an' his Grandson .

This is ABOUT Family , Cocka .

It SOOOOOOOOOO is , like .

Cheers , Dude , seriously .

Brilliant. Captures the facts and the atmosphere of the games equally well. Should be made into a film, starring...err Graeme Sharp as...Graeme Sharp, special guest appearance by Inchy...well, you know what I mean.;)

Hahaha ...

Yeah , Me Agent is working on the Filming thing ..

Gotta do the Book thing first though , Eagle , lid .

Cheers , Dawg ,...

Have really enjoyed that read, top marks, great info, deadly to get knowledge on the charity shield matches that i hadnt before.

A cracking centre forward, Graeme Sharp, Everton legend.

Have really enjoyed that read, top marks, great info, deadly to get knowledge on the charity shield matches that i hadnt before.

A cracking centre forward, Graeme Sharp, Everton legend.

Thank you , mate .

I went to ALL of the Charity Shield games , kid .

It wasn't that hard , in truth , but thank you anyway , lad .

Status
Not open for further replies.