The structure of the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

navidson

Player Valuation: £70m
After sleeping on another hugely disappointing ending to a season and mooching through a whole variety of posts on here - it got me thinking as to just how we've ended up in such a weird situation.

From the outside, the current situation at Everton appears to be pretty rosy. We have a world-class, highly respected manager in place, a director of football held in high esteem across Europe and a rich, benevolent owner seemingly willing to spend money whenever needed.

So why are we in such a mess?

Reading through a number of threads about clearing the squad out and potential players transfers one thing is evident. There appears to be no solid system when it comes to player acquisition. Now, this is either true or it's a case of fans point scoring by aligning certain players to certain members of staff at the club. I've seen today that our manager signed James Rodrigues and Allen, our owner (!) signed Iwobi and Marcel Brands signed the rest.

Eh?

Were we not under the impression when Brands was put in post that he would create and nurture a 'philosophy' throughout the club, starting with the youth teams and running through the fibre of the whole club? It was seen as an antidote to the constant cutting and changing of managers that we were entrenched within at the time. Let this man be the constant and shape the way in which the club is moving - that way, if ever the manager needed to be changed, the playing squad would be fit for purpose for the next manager to work with instantly. Have we just binned off this system now and converted Brands into a snazzier Steve Walsh?

To me, it looks like we had plans to allow Brands to move the club in a certain way, then we were unexpectedly given the opportunity to hire Carlo Ancelotti and Moshiri's eyes lit up. So therefore the purchasing plan goes out the window, we sign 3 players older than the template would allow with the full intention of fast tracking our way into Europe. That plan has failed.

I really enjoy the esteem of having Carlo Ancelotti as our manager. I really, really want him to be a legend at this club and i'm really bloody fed up of resetting and trying to be patient with new managers. I don't want him to leave the club.

With that in mind though, and a little bit of hindsight - it does appear to be a bit of an anomaly of an appointment. I've heard so much on here that Carlo needs world class players to succeed and that he absolutely, positively will not improve any of our current playing staff. In that case, he was the right appointment at the wrong time then. The club would have known they couldn't furnish Carlo with the players he required (I'm sure the grim shadow of FFP lurched behind the conversations during his appointment) and that we had a playing squad full of one paced, unmotivated players.

So what do we do now?

Sorry for the length of this post (and for starting a new one) - I didn't know where to put it.

Honestly, despite the doom and gloom (and there's a lot from me), I don't think the club as a whole is in a dire situation.

Our recruitment since Moshiri arrived, has been nothing short of disastrous, but with Ancelotti, I'm seeing improvements. But, and there's a big but, this summer is the biggest summer in such a long time, for me, it smacks of the Moyes 17th campaign, where we all thought we were going down, quite simply, it is make or break.

We've got Ancelotti for 1-2 more seasons, we have to back him, and back him well. Godfrey, Allan, Doucouré, James were all big upgrades on what we had, if we recruit like that again, we will go places, i'm certain, but we need 6-7 of the lazy, uninspiring players out, and to bring as many in, who all gel, all fight for the club.

New Stadium on the way, Board i have trust in, recording sponsorship deals, the club is making good decisions, but you can't clear out the trash in one window (and there's alot - expensive trash too).

We're a mess due to the manager merry go round and gave the managers money to buy on absolute junk and some on Walsh and Brands to create the most disgusting cocktail of a team ever seen.

Anyone chatting about Kenwright or DBB or whatever is spouting absolute wham far as I'm concerned, Poor recruitment and chopping and changing managers has put us in a mess.

There is no cohesive strategy really, which is ultimately Moshiri's responsibility. He's a good owner in the sense that he's very rich but he doesn't have a clue about how to run a football club. BMD looks ace though, well done to him there.

Being in a mess is just missing out on relegation. West Ham and Villa both proved you can bounce back hard from even that.

With fans in Goodison and a couple more decent buys we won't be as bad as this year either with the number of points or the dirge that has been served up. If you ask how can we compete with City on the final day when they are having a celebration in front of their fans while our players are already thinking about their holidays, then the answer is we can't. Ever.

People need to try not to overreact to what was a crap result, yes you would hope professional footballers would take pride in not being publicly fisted but it was almost inevitable.

Brands has looked at strengthen and maintaining a stronger youth system with the Under 23 being the youngest for a while.

I think the thought process is to blood these kids quicker and create a fast route into first team squad. We have a good set of players with some very highly thought of individuals like Small, John, Whitaker, Welch.

Brands brought Chris Perkins to overlook this vision and he has been entrusted to carry out the academy recruitment which was hit in 2018 with a 2 year ban in signing so expect us to be linked to a lot of U18's soon enough.

I think structure wise, first team is all Carlo. He will identify what he wants and Brands will put forward his case for alternatives or options.

Looking at last summer's window:
Carlo - Allan and James.
Brands - Doucoure and Godfrey.
I fully expect to see this transfer policy continuing this summer with first teamer brought in for Right Back and Right Winger positions and additional squad members added for numbers.

What I don’t get is, if you’re a billionaire putting a lot of money into a football club, you would want the best people possible in each position particularly at the executive level, CEO, Chairman and so on.

I don’t think we do at the moment and it’s playing a part in why we are in theee situations time and again. If we are to spend big it will be the same people again playing a part in the decision making. Vicious circle.

After sleeping on another hugely disappointing ending to a season and mooching through a whole variety of posts on here - it got me thinking as to just how we've ended up in such a weird situation.

From the outside, the current situation at Everton appears to be pretty rosy. We have a world-class, highly respected manager in place, a director of football held in high esteem across Europe and a rich, benevolent owner seemingly willing to spend money whenever needed.

So why are we in such a mess?

Reading through a number of threads about clearing the squad out and potential players transfers one thing is evident. There appears to be no solid system when it comes to player acquisition. Now, this is either true or it's a case of fans point scoring by aligning certain players to certain members of staff at the club. I've seen today that our manager signed James Rodrigues and Allen, our owner (!) signed Iwobi and Marcel Brands signed the rest.

Eh?

Were we not under the impression when Brands was put in post that he would create and nurture a 'philosophy' throughout the club, starting with the youth teams and running through the fibre of the whole club? It was seen as an antidote to the constant cutting and changing of managers that we were entrenched within at the time. Let this man be the constant and shape the way in which the club is moving - that way, if ever the manager needed to be changed, the playing squad would be fit for purpose for the next manager to work with instantly. Have we just binned off this system now and converted Brands into a snazzier Steve Walsh?

To me, it looks like we had plans to allow Brands to move the club in a certain way, then we were unexpectedly given the opportunity to hire Carlo Ancelotti and Moshiri's eyes lit up. So therefore the purchasing plan goes out the window, we sign 3 players older than the template would allow with the full intention of fast tracking our way into Europe. That plan has failed.

I really enjoy the esteem of having Carlo Ancelotti as our manager. I really, really want him to be a legend at this club and i'm really bloody fed up of resetting and trying to be patient with new managers. I don't want him to leave the club.

With that in mind though, and a little bit of hindsight - it does appear to be a bit of an anomaly of an appointment. I've heard so much on here that Carlo needs world class players to succeed and that he absolutely, positively will not improve any of our current playing staff. In that case, he was the right appointment at the wrong time then. The club would have known they couldn't furnish Carlo with the players he required (I'm sure the grim shadow of FFP lurched behind the conversations during his appointment) and that we had a playing squad full of one paced, unmotivated players.

So what do we do now?

Sorry for the length of this post (and for starting a new one) - I didn't know where to put it.

There's only one person ultimately responsible for all transfers.

That's Marcel Brands.

Sure, you can attribute some transfers like so;

Ancelotti - Rodriguez and Allan - obvious reasons.
Brands - Doucoure (we tried to buy him before Ancelotti), Godfrey (Ancelotti admitted not knowing of him before we signed him).

But at the end of the day - Brands absolutely has to approve every single transfer. He's Ancelotti's boss, he's on the board, he's;

"Our approach now is to have a Director of Football with a broader remit responsible for the whole footballing strategy at the club rather than just player recruitment.”

His position dictates continuity. Every transfer that comes in, should fit the club and overriding strategy, rather than whoever is the current manager.

Of course, it all goes to pot if it's him that's the dud.

But every single transfer, good or bad, is on Marcel Brands and him alone.

We're a mess due to the manager merry go round and gave the managers money to buy on absolute junk and some on Walsh and Brands to create the most disgusting cocktail of a team ever seen.

Anyone chatting about Kenwright or DBB or whatever is spouting absolute wham far as I'm concerned, Poor recruitment and chopping and changing managers has put us in a mess.
There is no cohesive strategy really, which is ultimately Moshiri's responsibility. He's a good owner in the sense that he's very rich but he doesn't have a clue about how to run a football club. BMD looks ace though, well done to him there.
It all starts at the top...the very top.
If Moshiri trusts those in the ground to get on with it, tthere's not much we can do.

I bet he rues the day he let Bill talk him into this

There's only one person ultimately responsible for all transfers.

That's Marcel Brands.

Sure, you can attribute some transfers like so;

Ancelotti - Rodriguez and Allan - obvious reasons.
Brands - (we tried to buy him before Ancelotti), Godfrey (Ancelotti admitted not knowing of him before we signed him).Doucoure

But at the end of the day - Brands absolutely has to approve every single transfer. He's Ancelotti's boss, he's on the board, he's;

His position dictates continuity. Every transfer that comes in, should fit the club and overriding strategy, rather than whoever is the current manager.

Of course, it all goes to pot if it's him that's the dud.

But every single transfer, good or bad, is on Marcel Brands and him alone.

At both AZ and PSV the clubs were set up with a defined playstyle and formation which ran through the youth teams. Player profiles were then chosen and bought appropriately to fit that (same with Ajax and Barcelona with their famed 4-3-3).

That hasn't happened here. Either because he isn't up to it or because he hasn't quite got the power for that sort of change.

Status
Not open for further replies.