The structure of the club

Status
Not open for further replies.
At both AZ and PSV the clubs were set up with a defined playstyle and formation which ran through the youth teams. Player profiles were then chosen and bought appropriately to fit that (same with Ajax and Barcelona with their famed 4-3-3).

That hasn't happened here. Either because he isn't up to it or because he hasn't quite got the power for that sort of change.

Nah- he runs the show mate. I shared one comment in my post from when he was promoted to the board.

Other than being on the pitch itself, he can't control football matters any more.

There's only one person ultimately responsible for all transfers.

That's Marcel Brands.

Sure, you can attribute some transfers like so;

Ancelotti - Rodriguez and Allan - obvious reasons.
Brands - Doucoure (we tried to buy him before Ancelotti), Godfrey (Ancelotti admitted not knowing of him before we signed him).

But at the end of the day - Brands absolutely has to approve every single transfer. He's Ancelotti's boss, he's on the board, he's;

His position dictates continuity. Every transfer that comes in, should fit the club and overriding strategy, rather than whoever is the current manager.

Of course, it all goes to pot if it's him that's the dud.

But every single transfer, good or bad, is on Marcel Brands and him alone.

And Kenwright/Moshiri gave Brands a new 3 year contract.

Thats the problem - at the very top expectation to achieve is not enforced and we award mediocrity (expected losses).

Its a culture that runs from top down to the players.

We should have booted Kenwright out years ago and appointed a proper Chairman/CEO with a long term strategy who would have likely seen Brands on his way this summer and recruited a new DOF that fits in with the type of player we need going forward.

Its why I have little faith going into next season the same type of player will be coming into the club this summer so why expect much to change?

I think a bit of luck wouldn't go amiss. Perhaps starting with the Premier League sacking the Fixture Kopite who does the matches.. I mean who else gives The RS easy-ish home openers like Norwich, Leeds (admittedly they gave them a game) and finishes with home games against dross like Newcastle, Palace..

Whereas we've had Spurs (three times), Arsenal and City in the past 5 years (4 of them away!) - guaranteed to give us a tough last day when we might need a result.

And Kenwright/Moshiri gave Brands a new 3 year contract.

Thats the problem - at the very top expectation to achieve is not enforced and we award mediocrity (expected losses).

Its a culture that runs from top down to the players.

We should have booted Kenwright out years ago and appointed a proper Chairman/CEO with a long term strategy who would have likely seen Brands on his way this summer and recruited a new DOF that fits in with the type of player we need going forward.

Its why I have little faith going into next season the same type of player will be coming into the club this summer so why expect much to change?
very good post...a reminder to all on here that you are waaaaay more than just a massive lover of sexy MILFs, barely legal teenagers... and GILFs

At both AZ and PSV the clubs were set up with a defined playstyle and formation which ran through the youth teams. Player profiles were then chosen and bought appropriately to fit that (same with Ajax and Barcelona with their famed 4-3-3).

That hasn't happened here. Either because he isn't up to it or because he hasn't quite got the power for that sort of change.
I guess that's the whole point of my post - I assumed he'd have the same sort of power he wielded at PSV

Seems completely pointless to have somebody like him at the club if you don't hand over the keys

Far too many hangers on below them too...... Sir John Mooores when he became chairman he was ruthless got rid of dead wood ran the club like his Littlewood's company - who is ruthless at our club now - who has any business acumen?
LFC have a panel of directors who rule transfers by Klopp & tell him if they are affordable etc - e.g. who decided Fabian Delph was a great buy ??????

I think a bit of luck wouldn't go amiss. Perhaps starting with the Premier League sacking the Fixture Kopite who does the matches.. I mean who else gives The RS easy-ish home openers like Norwich, Leeds (admittedly they gave them a game) and finishes with home games against dross like Newcastle, Palace..

Whereas we've had Spurs (three times), Arsenal and City in the past 5 years (4 of them away!) - guaranteed to give us a tough last day when we might need a result.
I wouldnt say its Kopite biased all the big 6 get teams they'll beat on the last day, Look at city they got Everton yesterday... Yes we are one of the dross that the big teams get late on incase they need a result.

Nah- he runs the show mate. I shared one comment in my post from when he was promoted to the board.

Other than being on the pitch itself, he can't control football matters any more.
If this is the case then the blame lies squarely at the feet of Brands

Just how healthy is the relationship between him and Carlo?

People put far too much thought into this kind of thing.

We had a crap season in the end because our players are not very good by and large. We have some good players but not enough yet.

After sleeping on another hugely disappointing ending to a season and mooching through a whole variety of posts on here - it got me thinking as to just how we've ended up in such a weird situation.

From the outside, the current situation at Everton appears to be pretty rosy. We have a world-class, highly respected manager in place, a director of football held in high esteem across Europe and a rich, benevolent owner seemingly willing to spend money whenever needed.

So why are we in such a mess?

Reading through a number of threads about clearing the squad out and potential players transfers one thing is evident. There appears to be no solid system when it comes to player acquisition. Now, this is either true or it's a case of fans point scoring by aligning certain players to certain members of staff at the club. I've seen today that our manager signed James Rodrigues and Allen, our owner (!) signed Iwobi and Marcel Brands signed the rest.

Eh?

Were we not under the impression when Brands was put in post that he would create and nurture a 'philosophy' throughout the club, starting with the youth teams and running through the fibre of the whole club? It was seen as an antidote to the constant cutting and changing of managers that we were entrenched within at the time. Let this man be the constant and shape the way in which the club is moving - that way, if ever the manager needed to be changed, the playing squad would be fit for purpose for the next manager to work with instantly. Have we just binned off this system now and converted Brands into a snazzier Steve Walsh?

To me, it looks like we had plans to allow Brands to move the club in a certain way, then we were unexpectedly given the opportunity to hire Carlo Ancelotti and Moshiri's eyes lit up. So therefore the purchasing plan goes out the window, we sign 3 players older than the template would allow with the full intention of fast tracking our way into Europe. That plan has failed.

I really enjoy the esteem of having Carlo Ancelotti as our manager. I really, really want him to be a legend at this club and i'm really bloody fed up of resetting and trying to be patient with new managers. I don't want him to leave the club.

With that in mind though, and a little bit of hindsight - it does appear to be a bit of an anomaly of an appointment. I've heard so much on here that Carlo needs world class players to succeed and that he absolutely, positively will not improve any of our current playing staff. In that case, he was the right appointment at the wrong time then. The club would have known they couldn't furnish Carlo with the players he required (I'm sure the grim shadow of FFP lurched behind the conversations during his appointment) and that we had a playing squad full of one paced, unmotivated players.

So what do we do now?

Sorry for the length of this post (and for starting a new one) - I didn't know where to put it.

I think the answer is pretty straightforward. Walsh was terrible at his job and instability at manager added error upon Walsh's error. Between Walsh, Allardyce, and Koeman, most of these signings are ill fitting to the squad, and most have been difficult to dispose of. Brands has done a lot of work over the last few years to rebuild, but it's been a slow process. Moshiri has spent money, but his spending has been limited by FFP, his commitment to build BMD, his lack of desire to bleed £millions, or some other reasonable hesitation.

There may be more to it, but to me that's the bulk of the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.