The School of Science

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member
We’ve been known as the School of Science for a hell of a long time now, in fact since a Derby County player gave us the moniker when the world was still in black and white.

We all want to see attractive football but what does it actually mean? It means different things to different people obviously but here is a quote from Colin Harvey on the matter;

So it doesn’t mean played out from the back and on the floor at all times, nor does it exclude employing a more agricultural approach when needed.

If Colin Harvey’s opinion is to be taken as gospel (and it really should be), then it means “the right tool for the job”.

We saw the team of the 1980’s mix it up, with Peter Reid, PVDH and others not exactly known for being shrinking violets. Perhaps the Dogs of War is simply a annexe of the good old School of Science?

Don't think dogs of war quite fit the School of science mould, more horses for courses. I think Martinez's first 2 seasons were closer.

As an aside, I think it can mean different things to different people. Play smart I think would be my thoughts.

Probs gonna sound like fat Sam here but sometimes I wish we just hoofed it forward more, we saw that if you don't have the players what pointless passing sideways around the back does and the answer is nothing or unnecessary mistakes. If we are struggling to play a high pressing team what's wrong with kicking it long and then making it a 50/50.

Probs gonna sound like fat Sam here but sometimes I wish we just hoofed it forward more, we saw that if you don't have the players what pointless passing sideways around the back does and the answer is nothing or unnecessary mistakes. If we are struggling to play a high pressing team what's wrong with kicking it long and then making it a 50/50.

I believe this is called Rugby Union

It's a total fallacy that great teams don't play long balls or play rough. A truly great team is capable of switching their style of play, mixing it when needed, going long to a target man or pacy forward, doing the sexy stuff when able etc.

The School of Science moniker is exactly that, IMO - adapting tactically to exploit the opposition's weaknesses.

We’ve been known as the School of Science for a hell of a long time now, in fact since a Derby County player gave us the moniker when the world was still in black and white.

We all want to see attractive football but what does it actually mean? It means different things to different people obviously but here is a quote from Colin Harvey on the matter;

So it doesn’t mean played out from the back and on the floor at all times, nor does it exclude employing a more agricultural approach when needed.

If Colin Harvey’s opinion is to be taken as gospel (and it really should be), then it means “the right tool for the job”.

We saw the team of the 1980’s mix it up, with Peter Reid, PVDH and others not exactly known for being shrinking violets. Perhaps the Dogs of War is simply a annexe of the good old School of Science?

Well we were never Wimbledon. Football requires a combination of scrapping and skill. Without fighting you never get the ball in the first place. Wengers great Arsenal teams had loads of fight, the media pretended it was all fast passing and goals. Remember them beating us at Goodison, 4-0 or 4-1. We played great football, they hoofed, handled and just scrapped the win. The media talk drivel.

Re the annexe - exactly so.

Some of the stuff in the late 60s was as close as you could get to whatever it actually means.
Recent City performances...not this season obvs, is as close to it as you'll get.

Panache, Elan, Cavalier, Beautiful all fit...Its the Velvet glove in an Iron fist.
Pinging it about, fast first time to feet or into space for feet, instinctive movement, the famed 3Gs of yore, get it, give it go.

It can come in many guises
*Jeremy Clarkson voice over...Some people think only Everton play it, they say its 'School of Science', we just call it - 'Football.'

Playing classy football and wining files with pure football is the school of science, even the 1970 team played the long ball, but it had pace and control of pure football....
You went towards game knowing the team was going to win ..
They usually did not just result wise , but with pure football.....that's a school of science style team ........
When we have had those teams it fetched trophies plus we were respected .....for great football......

Well we were never Wimbledon. Football requires a combination of scrapping and skill. Without fighting you never get the ball in the first place. Wengers great Arsenal teams had loads of fight, the media pretended it was all fast passing and goals. Remember them beating us at Goodison, 4-0 or 4-1. We played great football, they hoofed, handled and just scrapped the win. The media talk drivel.
You have to fight for the right to play football and win games
Show me a successful side without a bit of snide

Taken from that tweet
'In my opinion, all Everton fans want to see good footballers who work hard. Some people think the School of Science tag means pure football.

He could have been talking about Ronaldo, who has been described as one of the hardest workers in training by a number of players.
Scientist's don't just have a eureka moment, there is often years of hard work behind great discoveries. I guarantee that if Ronaldo would have been anything else he would have been brilliant at it, it's worth ethic and flair combined I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.