The run in

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may not have but some had genuine concerns, tempered only by the fact there are most definitely 3 teams worse than us and another 7 as inconsistent but I can understand peoples concern, we had bottom3 form since december.
They may well have had genuine concerns, but they weren't grounded in anything approaching reality. Even if you take out recent points, and pretend we'd lost 7 games on the bounce, giving us a record of only winning 3 of our last 18 league games, we'd still be in a relatively comfortable situation.

They may well have had genuine concerns, but they weren't grounded in anything approaching reality. Even if you take out recent points, and pretend we'd lost 7 games on the bounce, giving us a record of only winning 3 of our last 18 league games, we'd still be in a relatively comfortable situation.

A couple of weeks ago, we were 4 points above toon, a team scrapping relegation all season, of course people were worried, no matter how realistic the probability was. We have been utterly awful but our good start has made it look a lot easier than it looked for some. Thankfully as you both say the season is over 38 games and over that course, even with 7 left, we've reached the golden 40, wow, what a season. my original point was just a jest at the vaulting, hindsight is wonderful.

A couple of weeks ago, we were 4 points above toon, a team scrapping relegation all season, of course people were worried, no matter how realistic the probability was. We have been utterly awful but our good start has made it look a lot easier than it looked for some. Thankfully as you both say the season is over 38 games and over that course, even with 7 left, we've reached the golden 40, wow, what a season. my original point was just a jest at the vaulting, hindsight is wonderful.
So because at one point we were only 4 points above a team who had at one stage been - but no longer were - concerned about relegation, we were in danger of going down? That's like saying you nearly drowned once because you walked along a beach just a few metres up from where the water once got to when the tide came in.

My point is that yes hindsight is wonderful, but so are pampers if you're that way inclined.

?? I said we’re way out of reach of the relegation zone, because we are. And you’re on here saying people were right to be worried about relegation.

People were worried where points were coming from prior to that 17 day break, some teams below were picking points up but have since fallen back into losing streaks but it was closer than you care to admit obviously.

People were worried where points were coming from prior to that 17 day break, some teams below were picking points up but have since fallen back into losing streaks but it was closer than you care to admit obviously.

No it wasn’t because people were banking on teams like Cardiff, Burnley and Southampton all winning 3 or 4 on the bounce which doesn’t happen because they’re crap.

Problem is everything is easier in hindsight. Cardiff up until that point had looked a far harder to beat side than the one that rolled over and had it's belly tickled. Had they turned up and beat us then we go into the derby with more pressure, on another day Salah scores and we could have lost. At this point the other sides are getting closer and we would be on a horrible run. Who knows what our players would be like if it came to the crunch like that. I don't think anyone lauds the mentality of our squad.

Once we won at Cardiff and drew at home it was obvious that we would be ok, you could even take positives from the Newcastle game before we folded. But my point is on fine details it can and could have easily swung the other way.

So because at one point we were only 4 points above a team who had at one stage been - but no longer were - concerned about relegation, we were in danger of going down? That's like saying you nearly drowned once because you walked along a beach just a few metres up from where the water once got to when the tide came in.

My point is that yes hindsight is wonderful, but so are pampers if you're that way inclined.

No mate, I wasn't concerned about relegation, I'm playing devils advocate is all, it got too close for comfort. I know you haven't been worried, we had this conversation when I said I had a squeaky bum. I think trying to vault people after the fact is daft when we were falling off a cliff and has waited until 40points were reached to do so.

No it wasn’t because people were banking on teams like Cardiff, Burnley and Southampton all winning 3 or 4 on the bounce which doesn’t happen because they’re crap.

Burnley went on a very good run, cardiff even picked up a few extra points, all of them down there were taking points off each other making our run more comfortable. Maybe relegation was never in question but the form we had shown was bottom of the pile stuff, why shouldn't other fans be concerned given that fact.

Burnley went on a very good run, cardiff even picked up a few extra points, all of them down there were taking points off each other making our run more comfortable. Maybe relegation was never in question but the form we had shown was bottom of the pile stuff, why shouldn't other fans be concerned given that fact.

If that form carries on for 8-12 months then fair enough, but people were concerned about relegation THIS season. It wasn’t ever happening. Cardiff had won something like 2 in 15.

Problem is everything is easier in hindsight. Cardiff up until that point had looked a far harder to beat side than the one that rolled over and had it's belly tickled. Had they turned up and beat us then we go into the derby with more pressure, on another day Salah scores and we could have lost. At this point the other sides are getting closer and we would be on a horrible run. Who knows what our players would be like if it came to the crunch like that. I don't think anyone lauds the mentality of our squad.

Once we won at Cardiff and drew at home it was obvious that we would be ok, you could even take positives from the Newcastle game before we folded. But my point is on fine details it can and could have easily swung the other way.
Well the problem with that is that foresight is even better. If anyone actually genuinely thought that we would go on a 12 game winless run despite not having done anything like that previously, and 5 or 6 other teams who were picking up less than a point a game would suddenly start putting good runs together, then their fears weren't grounded in reality. Obviously it wasn't absolutely impossible (it still isn't, technically) but there was really nothing at all to suggest that it was going to happen. The same thing happened last year, people saying we were the worst team in the league when we were about 10th and winning virtually every home game.

Just to show that you don't need hindsight, here's what I posted before the Cardiff game, which explains using the exact same logic, but before it happened.

Yes to the contrary. It's not a difficult concept. The point was that Southampton need to better our tally by 10 points. They have 12 games in which to do that. You've just posted a table that shows from their last 12 games they have been getting more points than us, but only by 5. So half the difference they would need to make up. I'm not saying it's impossible by any means, but it's not likely, and your own table shows why.

Relegation was never a realistic possibility this season. People have just been sufficiently concerned about our lack of form and progress over a prolonged period, and even a whiff of a closing gap at any point between us and the bottom sides, just exaberates the general weariness and anxiety.

We shouldn't have to discuss even the remotest possibility of the R word ever, but it is an indictment of fans concerns and recent mismanagement that it gets an airing at all.

At our worst, we can be as bad any anyone in the league however we do have better players and that, as for the sides above us, tends to come into play sooner or later with regard to league placing.

I would have a general concern that things would spiral if we encountered a really poor run of results but thats just hypothetical really, though we are far more likely to go on a losing run than a winning run.

7 games left of a dreadful season but if Silva can get the players to turn up and focus for 7 more weeks then we still have a decent shot at Europe.

West Ham A
Arsenal H
Fulham A
Man Utd H
Palace A
Burnley H
Spurs A

Being honest, if we actually decide to turn up then I could see us getting something from all the above bar Spurs and possibly Arsenal.

Then he remembers Millwall….gah!

Status
Not open for further replies.